Shedding After Switch From Liquid To Foam?

wzad dazzad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started using minoxidil 5% liquid about 6 months ago and was pretty satisfied with the results. I had an initial shed, but powered through it :)

About a month ago I switched to using 5% foam in the mornings only, and continued liquid in the evening (this I thought would allow me to style it in the morning without being greasy)

I started noticing shedding a week or two ago. My initial thought was to keep calm and carry on. But after 5 or six days of shedding I got a little worried, thinking maybe the foam is being less effective, so I now switched back to the liquid full time.

I am reading now maybe a shed could be normal when switching from liquid to foam? Anyone experience this?

If shedding would be considered normal I would continue with the foam, otherwise I am prepared to ditch it and go back to the liquid.

I am at a fork in the road here, please help!

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
foam is more easily absorbed by the hair and not the scalp if not used properly.

wzad dazzad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! I know that can be an issue for some, I can’t really see that being the problem for me... I have really short and thin hair, and I am able to squirt the foam right onto my scalp. I also use more than what the bottle recommends just to be sure I get some everywhere that it’s needed. :/

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is the option of only using it once at night and using more, i don't think the end results are going to be any different. Do you dermaroll or anything? i think that's a must with minoxidil these days.

wzad dazzad

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is the option of only using it once at night and using more, i don't think the end results are going to be any different. Do you dermaroll or anything? i think that's a must with minoxidil these days.
Yea, actually I have only been using the foam in the mornings, and still using liquid at night. So the shedding surprised me for sure, I was not expecting there to be much of a change when just switching 1 of my 2 daily applications to foam.

I have a dermastamp that I try and use every week @ 1.75mm

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, actually I have only been using the foam in the mornings, and still using liquid at night. So the shedding surprised me for sure, I was not expecting there to be much of a change when just switching 1 of my 2 daily applications to foam.

I have a dermastamp that I try and use every week @ 1.75mm
I sufferered massive loss around the time I switched switched to foam, after years w liquid. Terrible thinning and shedding. May just be coincidence but foam lacks Pg, so it does make sense. I believe switching formulas was the equivalent of quitting min.

wzad dazzad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I sufferered massive loss around the time I switched switched to foam, after years w liquid. Terrible thinning and shedding. May just be coincidence but foam lacks Pg, so it does make sense. I believe switching formulas was the equivalent of quitting min.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I also would equate this to quitting minoxidil. It sounds like going back to liquid before things get worse is probably the safest bet.

Did you ever switch back to the liquid and manage to regrow?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I also would equate this to quitting minoxidil. It sounds like going back to liquid before things get worse is probably the safest bet.

Did you ever switch back to the liquid and manage to regrow?
I started oral minoxidil and regrowth started, but so did side effects so I am back on the liquid. It's been 2 weeks; so far so good.

wzad dazzad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started oral minoxidil and regrowth started, but so did side effects so I am back on the liquid. It's been 2 weeks; so far so good.
Appreciate your responses! and glad to hear it is working out for you so far.

Its been about 5 or 6 days now since ditching the morning foam regimen (approximately a 1-month long experiment) and going back to liquid full-time, and it seems the shedding has already subsided for the most part, so I think getting back on the liquid was probably the right decision for me.

As of now I've lost a bit of hairline that I had grown when I started minoxidil, but still probably not as bad as before minoxidil. Definitely less volume overall because though I am not crazy about how its looking when I style it :/

Hopefully now I can regrow it again over the next couple months. I will try and post an update for anyone else who might land on this thread experiencing the same trouble.

wzad dazzad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I promised an update after a couple months, so here it is:

After switching back to the liquid formula (now a few months back on it), I have regrown most of the shed caused by having switched to foam.

I think I can safely say it was the foam being less effective that caused the shed.

So my recommendation to anyone else (just based on my own experience) would be to stay on liquid if you are getting good results with it.

Also, if you did happen to switch and shed on the foam, rest assured that it should grow back after a few months if you get back on the liquid.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've ditched oral min for good and am back on liquid min (I also put a little E2 in the mix) and hair quality is getting better and no loss since giving up oral min.

Mr.Sprinkles79

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any loss going from foam to liquid? or switching brands? I started on Kirkland foam, in the mornings I had the puffy face, almost burning dry eyes. Ran out of the kirkland and bought equate foam and liquid. It really seems like I don't notice the puffy/dryness on the equate. Been almost a month.. little bit of a shed right now. I realize it's all prob made at the same factory, but it just seems the equate isnt working very well. Idk could all just be in my head.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you measure 300mcg? Also any improvement over min alone?
I don't measure it exactly. I have 1 gram gel packs that each contain 1 mg e2. I squeeze approx. a third of it into my minoxidil mixture.
I've used minoxidil for 5-6 years and things have gotten a little better since I added the e2 (last 6 months). Some WILL go systemic and my blood tests have confirmed this. Still, my T is moderate and the side effects not too bad. Compare to the many people using 2-4 mg e2 daily this is a pretty conservative dose.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't measure it exactly. I have 1 gram gel packs that each contain 1 mg e2. I squeeze approx. a third of it into my minoxidil mixture.
I've used minoxidil for 5-6 years and things have gotten a little better since I added the e2 (last 6 months). Some WILL go systemic and my blood tests have confirmed this. Still, my T is moderate and the side effects not too bad. Compare to the many people using 2-4 mg e2 daily this is a pretty conservative dose.
You get them gel packs on prescription?