Shedding After 5 Years On Finasteride. Time To Switch To Dutasteride?

russelldawso

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there. Been on finasteride, min and nizoral for 5 years. Things have gone well, managed to maintain with a very slow decline. However in the last couple weeks I've been abnormally shedding much more hair than usual (30 hairs in the shower). And I'm wondering if finasteride has suddenly lost effectiveness (does it do that?) And I'm thinking about transitioning to dutasteride. Any advice please. Maybe I'm over thinking it and it's just part of my normal shed cycle, is there such a cycle where certain times you shed much more than usual? Or maybe it's because I recently switched brands of minoxidil to one that was really cheap, I swapped straight back to my normal to see if that was the case, but after 2 weeks, still loads of shedding. Anyway, please do comment if you can

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is not hair loss. Do yourself a favor and stick to finasteride until you see definitive thinning/receding by photo comparison.

russelldawso

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe. Are you 100% positive you're losing hair? 30 hairs in the shower is nothing.

Thanks for your reply, yea I'm not 100% positive. It's hard to gauge by looking at your scalp. . Maybe I'll just stick to it for a whole longer and see if I'm definitely losing hair. .. it's just seems out of the ordinary, I'd usually lose 10 shower hairs, but in the last week it seems to have jumped up like crazy. Anyway thanks

russelldawso

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is not hair loss. Do yourself a favor and stick to finasteride until you see definitive thinning/receding by photo comparison.

Thanks very much for your reply I think you've convinced me to stay put for a bit and see how it goes. I just wonder why all of a sudden I'm shedding much more than usual, I guess it's just part of the cycle hey?.. so anyway if I do notice that I am losing hair eventually, do you think start switching to dutasteride ?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It may be part of hair cycle. But rest assured that finasteride is working in your favor. You are reducing potent androgens, which are known to be the primary cause of hair loss (indirectly).
You should not change your regimen only because you're shedding. As I said, shedding is not hair loss. Leave duta as an option if you see progressive thinning.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding 30 hairs in the the shower now!? What did you shed prior? 10?

I’ve been shedding 50-100 hairs every shower since taking finasteride. Lol I swear something ain’t right with my head with how much I shed.

I would kill to shed 30 hairs a shower

50-100 is well within normal range.

russelldawso

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding 30 hairs in the the shower now!? What did you shed prior? 10?

I’ve been shedding 50-100 hairs every shower since taking finasteride. Lol I swear something ain’t right with my head with how much I shed.

I would kill to shed 30 hairs a shower

Well yea, used to be about 10 in my hand after shampoo scrub, now 30... but I'm sure it's all relative. You may just cycle through faster. I've always felt not very dense on top at all. I'm sure I have like half the amount of hair follicles as normal

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why y'all comparing shower sheds as if that's the only time of the day your scalps are shedding?

Reaction score
Are the hairs that you are shedding miniaturized?
How long are the hairs that you are shedding compared to the rest of your hair?
Have you changed anything in your regimen? Switched from Merck to Generic Finasteride for example?

Do the shedded hairs taper from thick to thin? If they are short and/or taper, then you should be worried.

Last edited: