Shedding Advise Please

Shogun

Reaction score
Hello All,
Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a considerable amout of hairs falling. Here is a quick scenario...the other day I went to the sink and brushed my hand through my hair from back to front (also the way I style my hair) and within a few seconds there were 14 hairs in the sink.
Today i did the same thing, and in less than 5 seconds there were 7 hairs on my desk.

Also if i grab a few hairs on the top of my head, towards the back and gently pull forward, I can get anywhere from 2-5 hairs, and this continue each time I do it....

My regimen has consisted of the following since Feb 05 (5 months).

Xandrox 5% in the am
Xandrox 15% in the evening
Fincar (1/4 of pill) everyday
nizoral every once in a while

Now I only apply the xandrox formulas to the front of my head (hariline and a little behind) and my temples. Yet in the scenario's above, hair is falling from both the front, middle and towards the back of the top of my head.

I am considering dropping finasteride (since i dont apply xandrox to where hair is falling from)...what do you guys think? I'm sure this has crossed many or your mind's. I read the sticky about shedding, but need some advice from you guys. Do you think what I'm describing points to a possible issue I should try to address (quit finasteride), or it is within the normal range of "shedding".

Shogun

Reaction score
also,
Like everyone else, I see hairs on my hands while showering, but now I see a lot more on my towel after showering...varies from 15 to 30 hairs per shower...and thats only on the towel. I dont know how many I lose while showering.

what do you guys think?

what could be the side effects of dropping finasteride? increased shedding??

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
you could be shedding..like every other non-male pattern baldness person on the planet, or you could be shedding due to treatment. either way, 30 hair a day isnt that big a deal. everybody sheds. no need to worry for the time being unless you actually notice thinning in areas.

continue finasteride...you might've been shedding more had it not been for that. see any regrowth at all since you started?..

any sides you went through?

yes, you might lose alot more upon quitting finasteride. why dont you check yourself at the 1 year mark on finasteride.

best of luck to you.

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped finasteride for 3-4 months... and all i wish is that i didn't stop. So stick with it. Ive been on it for nearly 4 years... it's saved me im sure!

Shogun

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas.

krush, its more than 30 per day...30 on towel after only drying off.
I cannot give a definite number I lose per day...
I have definitely noticed thinning on the top and front. The only growth I see is infront of my hairline...tiny hairs, and some seem to be getting black. so that could be a good sign. But the few new hairs are far less than the ones I see myself losing each day.

Melbs,
why did you quit in the first place? and how long before you got back on it. From my reading, I understand that you will initially lose hair, and that it should grow back in a few months...but there is a period in there where nothing happens, so you may see it thin out with no regrowth (maybe I'm in that period right now?)

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped due to being slack, and not really knowing that i would lose it as a result... well, now i know. Mind you its not like all my hair fell out... and im sure no one else notices, but i did. Moreso on my temples... but i was using minoxidil at this time too which in my opinion fucked my temples... no sh*t.

formercurly

Reaction score
I don't mean to discourage you but as you see my regimen below, I've had no success with the Xandrox alone even though Dr. Lee claims that the Azeliac Acid does the work of the finasteride. I am highly starting to doubt his product cause I'm at a Norwood 3 now from a Norwood 2 last year when I started. Maybe I should start finasteride.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
formercurly said:
I don't mean to discourage you but as you see my regimen below, I've had no success with the Xandrox alone even though Dr. Lee claims that the Azeliac Acid does the work of the finasteride. I am highly starting to doubt his product cause I'm at a Norwood 3 now from a Norwood 2 last year when I started. Maybe I should start finasteride.

Finasteride is strong and wonderful sh*t. AFAIK - there are no topicals out there that compare in effectiveness. Read up on the pros and cons though if you're thinking about starting finasteride.

Shogun

Reaction score
Guys,
so for my case is the consensus, that i should stay on finasteride?
I did a pull test and I am not shedding from the back of my head or the sides (just top and front).

I have not taken finasteride for the 3 days..but today I took a dose.

TheBaldingMenace

Established Member
Reaction score
As every effective treatment has it's shed history, I say persevere. It can only get better if this is the right thing for you.