Shed On Finasteride With Diffuse Thinning

Charlie Foxtrot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any diffuse thinners who went on finasteride and didn’t experience a massive shed?

For me, I’m losing loads of hair and I want to start finasteride to try and save what I have. To be honest, I’m happy with what I have now and that’s why I’m afraid of the shed. I see people with a nice head of hair shed so much, they look visibly bald.

It does make sense to me, because if the shed is initiated from the affected hairs being shedded to grow back stronger, hair from all over the head can be shedded and the diffuse thinning can be a lot worse imo.

I just want to know from other diffuse thinners, how the shed was on finasteride. If most of you go through a horrible shed, I don’t know if I want to start meds now... With my hair styled, it looks good and I feel happy about my hair. I just don’t wanna go visibly bald in a couple months due to the shed (even if it grows back in a couple months after). On the other hand, I don’t want to start treatments too late and wish I started earlier! Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was already having a lot of hairfall during when I got on finasteride. It made no difference on the amount of hairfall for about 4 months. After that the amount of hairfalls decreased to around 20-50 per shower. Density is significantly lower now than this time last year but the illusion of full coverage can last a long time. But afterall for diffuse thinners it is only an illusion of full coverage and once you get closer to that 50% mark other people will be able to see it too.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not recommend it. I have diffuse thinning but good scalp coverage and decent thickness with help of minoxidil but taking finasteride destroyed my hair and made me look like i have male pattern baldness losing hair one crown and side of hairline. It is severely thin on top. I never had this and my family members on both side dont have this. Shedding twice now and on finasteride 10 months very slow growth and miniaturization. I would suggest try natural approaches peppermint oil, dermal rolling, pumpkin seeds oil, shampoo etc.

I dont think finasteride works great on ppl with diffuse thinning but ppl highly sensitive to dht with male pattern baldness

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner, and propecia and rogaine have gotten most of my hair back. You used to be able to see my scalp / dome on a sunny day in the middle of my head / frontal area was so thin. Same under a light in the bathroom my shiney head would shine through - BUT - now you can't, because the hair has grown back thicker on the front and temples.

So boo to anybody who says it doesn't work on frontal / hairline / temples - that's baloney, I believe propecia / rogaine works well on the whole head if you stick with it (why would it only work on a patch really?) - although I'm sure there are some people who don't respond well to these meds - I was worried at first - but it worked for me after about 4 months (ish) and got better and better up until 1 year point, I am now heading to the 1.5 year point where I am maintaining and will see what happens from here.

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
Also sorry - I didn't experience a massive shed. I did however buy some brown hair fibres which took about 30 seconds to apply in the morning - this thickened my hair up which gave me tons of confidence and totally hid the thinning at the beginning because my hair was so thin

I think I noticed a shed about the 1 year point which is weird, not really a shed, I didn't notice any hairs in the sink or the floor, just that i'd gotten a little thinner, this is probably because I backed off on the rogaine a bit (but kept up with the propecia) the combination of the two will give you the best results I believe. Feel better going through all the shedding with some hair fibres.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner, and propecia and rogaine have gotten most of my hair back. You used to be able to see my scalp / dome on a sunny day in the middle of my head / frontal area was so thin. Same under a light in the bathroom my shiney head would shine through - BUT - now you can't, because the hair has grown back thicker on the front and temples.

So boo to anybody who says it doesn't work on frontal / hairline / temples - that's baloney, I believe propecia / rogaine works well on the whole head if you stick with it (why would it only work on a patch really?) - although I'm sure there are some people who don't respond well to these meds - I was worried at first - but it worked for me after about 4 months (ish) and got better and better up until 1 year point, I am now heading to the 1.5 year point where I am maintaining and will see what happens from here.

Did u start min and finasteride at same time?

abcdefg

Reaction score
LOL your suggesting natural approaches? Good luck using pumpkin seed and peppermint oil. Make you sure you buy some good hats to go with that so you dont blind people in a few years with your chrome dome.
Go look up immortalhair and the regrowth forums. The amount of supposed natural treatments could fill volumes of books alone. I am still waiting to see just 1 study or picture of any kind showing any of it actually works. Hell I have tried half of them myself over the years, and many people also have. Natural supplements and diet are probably the first thing every guy on earth tried before giving in to acceptance or the big 3. No one wants to use the big 3 if something natural would work but they dont which is why so many new male pattern baldness men pop up. Diet does not seem to do the trick

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL your suggesting natural approaches? Good luck using pumpkin seed and peppermint oil. Make you sure you buy some good hats to go with that so you dont blind people in a few years with your chrome dome.
Go look up immortalhair and the regrowth forums. The amount of supposed natural treatments could fill volumes of books alone. I am still waiting to see just 1 study or picture of any kind showing any of it actually works. Hell I have tried half of them myself over the years, and many people also have. Natural supplements and diet are probably the first thing every guy on earth tried before giving in to acceptance or the big 3. No one wants to use the big 3 if something natural would work but they dont which is why so many new male pattern baldness men pop up. Diet does not seem to do the trick
Funny you mentioned hats. I now have to rely on them and wear them after finasteride screwed up my hair. There are hair growth studies on peppermint oil and pumpkin seed oil which are less risky than finasteride https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/

In the other thread, you mentioned to accept being bald and aging yet you're still on a hairloss forum.

Last edited: