shed and not back to baseline

itchy080

Established Member
Reaction score
i had what i assumed to be a propecia shed in like december-feb, i started it last june
since then i have come nowhere close to baseline, sure i have added minoxidil and have just had a bad shed on that, so bad that now i have a tiny slick spot i never had

my question, do the fact i never seemed to recover from the propecia shed will i recover from this minoxidil shed?
im scared to death bout this
and has it taken anyone a yr and half to 2 yrs to go back to baseline

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, but it may be that you are not responding to treatment; continuing with propecia may no longer be of benefit to you. If you are not responding to propecia, you may want to consider other therapies, including hair transplant or dutasteride (experimental).

I am NOT a physician though. You must consult with your dermatologist to determine whether this is so and what options are available to you.

Have you had blood work done? Do you know what your DHT, test, &c. levels are? This may help you to get a better picture of what's going on. Propecia is designed to alter your hormone profile. You need to know what has been going on while on this drug.

When did you start your minoxidil? Is it 5%? If you are not at the 1 year mark with minoxidil, I would continue applying it.

I'm very sorry for this. I share your frustration and anxiety, as I am going through the same thing. :(

itchy080

Established Member
Reaction score
can this happen, can it have adverse affects?
i have found 0 history of this, does somoene know anything?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
itchy080 said:
can this happen, can it have adverse affects?
i have found 0 history of this, does somoene know anything?

Any hair you may have lost due to male pattern baldness may or may not grow back on Rogaine. If the loss is due to Telogen Effluvium, a part or all of that hair may grow back. It is not possible to predict, unless you know which hairs are lost from male pattern baldness and which hairs are from Telogen Effluvium. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Again, I am not a doctor. But the above logic seems reasonable to me.

itchy080

Established Member
Reaction score
does anyone have evidece that propecia may have an adverse affect besides that it seems like it makes sense?

i have slick spot from the rogaine i had previously never had, i am not stoppin the rogaine on hope it will get better

if anyone has info about just gettin back to baseline or if im screwed and any evidence about propecia havin the opposite effect please respond

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
itchy080 said:
if anyone has info about just gettin back to baseline or if im screwed and any evidence about propecia havin the opposite effect please respond

It not possible to predict. If you have not responded to propecia after one year, you are not likely to get back to baseline. You may want to consider other therapies.

On the other hand, if you are suffering from Telogen Effluvium and NOT male pattern baldness, propecia can aggravate and cause chronic Telogen Effluvium. Did you test yourself for Telogen Effluvium prior to propecia? Note - male pattern baldness is easy to diagnosis. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are suffering from Telogen Effluvium and not male pattern baldness.

Have you been to a doctor to discuss any of your questions? You must be under a trusted doctor's care when taking these sorts of medications. I myself am still trying to find one I can trust, or who will even talk to me.