Shbg Through The Roof, Free T To The Floor. Caused By finasteride?

Fonzual

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently had to make the hard choice of quitting finasteride 4 months in. I was taking 0.5mg a day and progressively became more and more numb mentally/ physically. Ive thought about suicide for the first time ever in my life, Lost ~20 lbs and stand at only 148lbs now, muscle gone. No energy to workout, hair continues to shed like nobody's business- diffuse pattern. Now i find out I now have low free t and I'm practically about to break down completely. here are my labs from the past.

9/30/2017 (pre finasteride)

Free T-4 - 1.34 ng/dl

Free T-3 - 4.02 pg/ml

Testosterone Total - 736 ng/dl

Testosterone Free - 130 pg/ml (? measurement seems off)

SHBG - 41.1 nmol/l

5/17/2018 (on finasteride)

Testosterone, Serum - 482 ng/dl

Free Testosterone - 6.7 pg/ml (LOW 9.3 -26.5 range)

SHBH - Not tested (but most likely high)

TSH - 1.910 uIU/ml

7/5/2018 (on finasteride)

Prolactin - 11.4 ng/ml

Testosterone, Serum - 603 ng/dl

SHBG - 71.5 nmol/l (HIGH, 16.5 - 55.9 range)

Testosterone Free - 7.5 (Low)

progesterone - 0.1 ng/ml

Estradiol - 11.6 pmg/ml

TSH - 2.110 uIU/ml

I don't know what to do, my diffuse hair shedding hasn't slowed at all since starting finasteride, when I first went to the doctor pre finasteride i was hovering around 165 and losing weight, fatigued, etc. but not NEARLY as bad as now. I am 148 and have no energy. finasteride basically sucked the life right out of me and I was constantly told I was crazy and my "test levels were normal" and to "ride it out until the medication starts working". While i think it was to early to see results it was strange the mental sides, the shedding, the scalp pain, libido loss, it wasn't worth it. Now I find out that my free T is to the floor, and I'm shitting my pants.

Its been about 1 week since quitting finasteride and so far nothing has changed, my shedding has gone slightly up but I did just start minoxidil all over so its possible that is contributing. I can just tell that my body is missing something and I'm afraid it might be permanently stuck this way, exercise is nearly impossible, I'm more depressed than I've ever been, can't focus at work, low drive in general. I still get erections but they are not as strong and more difficult to keep up.

tl;dr - Has anyone experienced here experienced low free t due to finasteride and recover their levels once they quit? I could really use some positive reenforcement- Thanks.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What does it mean for you to have high SHBG and low free t?

Last edited:

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your finasteride response. I was there myself. I can tell you that I did the same thing and switched over to minoxidil as well and that just delayed the endocrine healing. It wasn't until I was off all meds that I started to feel better. Maybe it will be different for you I don't know.

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ tomj how would minoxidil affect the endocrine system? Isn't it just a blood pressure med? doesn't touch the hormones?

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
to OP. I experienced some sh*t sides with finasteride, every time I've tried it, and I've tried it numerous times. I think I'm back to normal (hope). I never had any blood tests to see how it was affecting me though. the best advice would be to force yourself to go to the gym and do compound lifts, like squats/deadlifts etc. eat steak as well.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
People keep saying that finasteride raises free T, I'm not saying they're wrong, but there's still no proof it does in the long run. I'm still really interested in seeing a long-term study on solely hormone levels while on finasteride. I mean, a boost in test makes sense but I still want evidence. I'm probably going to get blood work done soon to see where I'm at.

I doubt your problems will be permanent unless you had issues before. They still haven't been able to prove that permanent damage from finasteride is a thing and permanently tanked hormone levels would be the easiest way to prove this. Yet there's nothing.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
@ tomj how would minoxidil affect the endocrine system? Isn't it just a blood pressure med? doesn't touch the hormones?
I have no idea other then if your endocrine system is out of whack then taking another drug can add to your body's workload. Kind of like when some people are going thru a finasteride crash you may hear so done say to eat clean and get plenty of rest etc. I just know that it delayed the recovery process.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Lmao the drug doesn’t block dht by blocking the enzyme. It does a lot more than that it’s basically a T blocker. It kills LH, bunch of other hormones and pretty much does this until it permanently alters your hormonal profile. Some people are just more resistant than others. Have you seen anyone regrow hair without feminizing themselves? Me neither.
Still no source.

"In healthy volunteers, treatment with finasteride did not alter the response of LH and FSH to gonadotropin-releasing hormone, indicating that the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis was not affected. Mean circulating levels of testosterone and estradiol were increased by approximately 15% as compared to baseline, but these remained within the physiologic range."

To OP: I've read before that males with low Free T usually have really high SHBG. There seems to be a correlation, but I'm not sure what it is. Do some research and you might find something.

Fonzual

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still no source.

"In healthy volunteers, treatment with finasteride did not alter the response of LH and FSH to gonadotropin-releasing hormone, indicating that the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis was not affected. Mean circulating levels of testosterone and estradiol were increased by approximately 15% as compared to baseline, but these remained within the physiologic range."

To OP: I've read before that males with low Free T usually have really high SHBG. There seems to be a correlation, but I'm not sure what it is. Do some research and you might find something.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/propecia-decreases-bioavailable-testosterone.54491/ Click the attachment that OP posted.

The mechanism in which finasteride causes low free t is not known, but it is true. It appears in the form of higher SHBG which free t bounds itself to, thus- Low t symptoms. This is the source you've been asking for- also, I had normal levels before taking finasteride and am living proof of this study. You are incorrect on a fundamental level and I believe you are mistaking the effect finasteride has on serum testosterone levels with free t. Merck never released data on free testosterone being raised or lowered so i'd like to know how YOU came to the conclusive knowledge that it indeed "raises free t".

Show me the study.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/propecia-decreases-bioavailable-testosterone.54491/ Click the attachment that OP posted.

The mechanism in which finasteride causes low free t is not known, but it is true. It appears in the form of higher SHBG which free t bounds itself to, thus- Low t symptoms. This is the source you've been asking for- also, I had normal levels before taking finasteride and am living proof of this study. You are incorrect on a fundamental level and I believe you are mistaking the effect finasteride has on serum testosterone levels with free t. Merck never released data on free testosterone being raised or lowered so i'd like to know how YOU came to the conclusive knowledge that it indeed "raises free t".

Show me the study.
You didn't read my first post I guess. I'm not saying finasteride isn't the cause of your issues, I'm just stating that when starting treatment, initially your bioavailable testosterone raises. I said I'm very interested to know if this is the case after years on treatment.

I'm not sure if you read the whole thread you posted. There are some valid arguments against that study, one of them being that out of 2000 men the chose 30 men who all showed the same results.

Here's one source (from the FDA and not some random Egyptian study): https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/020788s018lbl.pdf

"Mean circulating levels of testosterone and estradiol were increased by approximately 15% as compared to baseline, but these remained within the physiologic range"

I'm not sure, but I would guess that "circulating" is not referring to bound testosterone. In other words, circulating testosterone is free testosterone.

Edit: Here's another source: http://www.hemingways.org/GIDinfo/drugdata/propecia.pdf

"Finasteride had no effect on circulating levels of cortisol, thyroid-stimulating hormone, or thyroxine, nor did it affect the plasma lipid profile (e.g., total cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins, high-density lipoproteins and triglycerides) or bone mineral density. In studies with finasteride, no clinically meaningful changes in luteinizing hormone (LH) or follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) were detected. In healthy volunteers, treatment with finasteride did not alter the response of LH and FSH to gonadotropin-releasing hormone, indicating that the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis was not affected. Mean circulating levels of testosterone and estradiol were increased by approximately 15% as compared to baseline, but these remained within the physiologic range."

Last edited: