Shaving transplanted hair

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a hairtransplant 2 years ago and I want to know if its ok to shave my head.

I have noticed that the transplanted hair doesnt grow as fast as my real hair. How did I find out? I colored my hair one time and I have cut my hair and for a long time there is still remaining of the color in my frontal hair where the transplant was.

So, what if I do shave it..will it grow? Im afraid that it wont or would take a long time to.
Anyone on here transplanted and shaved? If so, how did it grow back?

jeffsss

Reaction score
I think you can answer your own question but i'll go ahead and answer it for you.

Yes you can shave your head and your hair will grow back.

Your transplanted hair wont grow back as quickly as the rest of your scalp.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah but I wanted someone who already got a transplant and shaved his head to share his experience.

Bod

Reaction score
guy83 said:
I have had a hairtransplant 2 years ago and I want to know if its ok to shave my head.

I have noticed that the transplanted hair doesnt grow as fast as my real hair. How did I find out? I colored my hair one time and I have cut my hair and for a long time there is still remaining of the color in my frontal hair where the transplant was.

So, what if I do shave it..will it grow? Im afraid that it wont or would take a long time to.
Anyone on here transplanted and shaved? If so, how did it grow back?

I had a hair transplant about 4 years ago at a top London Surgery and had 400 graphs, I also noticed the hair which was transplanted didn't grow back as quick, in the end I bit my tounge and decided to shave it off and I never looked back, I have a scar at the back of my head from the hair transplant but its not really noticable as the Doctor who done the sugery took the hair by the neck. Looking back I really wished that I would never of had a hair transplant but I suppose you live and learn.

GhostInTheShell

Established Member
Reaction score
why is that?

Why do you regret having a hair transplant? I hear of this often, which makes me skeptical of ever getting one.

mattj

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, considering that there are no top surgeries in London, perhaps he got a poor transplant. I definitely want to hear more, though.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'd like to learn more, too.

And guy83, please take that avatar off. Nobody likes seeing two guys kissing.

Chorizo

Reaction score

Not that there's anything wrong with that

Bod

Reaction score
My story beings I was 20 at the time and me and three others mates drove to a county lane to smoke some cannabis (none of use owned houses at the time), we consumed half ounce of gear and at this stage we was all busted, my mate who was driving started driving fast which didn't really seem to bother any of us as we was so busted, anyway we got to a tight corner which he misjudged and the car flipped a few times into a tree, I was sitting in the back of the car with someone and the back window went smashing into the back of my head, the next thing I knew I woke up in hospital only to find the back of my head was cut open I had a scar about 6mm wide and about 4 inches in length, this didn't really bother me much at the time as it was the era of having long hair but as soon as long hair went out of fashion and the short hair look was in I was kinda stuffed as I had this awful scar so I decided action need to be taken so I went to Harley Street (these are apparently the best doctors in London) looking for a fix to my scar, I had a consultation with a Doctor called Dr Farjo who said 300 graphs would fix my scar, so I agreed went for the operation (which only lasted 4 hours) but the Dr ended up giving me 400 graphs instead (result, so I thought) he told me it would take about 4 months before the hair started to grow, anyway 4 months went and there was no regrowth and all that was there was hair follicles but no growth, all my other hair was growing apart from the hair on my transplant area, I went back to the Doctor a few more time only to be told I would need to spend money which in the end I told them to f*** off and decided to live with the scar, but things started to get worse I could no longer keep my thick long hair as it was thinning round the area where the scar was which is by my crown and temples so I was screwed so decided to shave all my hair off and up until now its not really not bothered me as I have a good body and am married so have been quite happy its only lately my hair is getting thinner I want to thicken it up hence why I have started a regime, if anyone is interested PM me and I will email you the pictures of my scar to show you but from my experience I would never have another hair transplant, it might work for some people but it certainly didn't work for me...

GhostInTheShell

Established Member
Reaction score
wowzers

Well that is understandable. if the time comes for a transplant....i will proceed with caution.

Also, the fella can put up any friggin pic he wants. No one complains about the anime pics, or comments of mackin on "chicks". This oughtta be a place of community cut out the homophobia.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: wowzers

GhostInTheShell said:
Well that is understandable. if the time comes for a transplant....i will proceed with caution.

Also, the fella can put up any friggin pic he wants. No one complains about the anime pics, or comments of mackin on "chicks". This oughtta be a place of community cut out the homophobia.

Happens everytime on here.. im sure they can turn the avatar thing off and no see avatars if they are offended.

I have recently lost more hair and the grafts are more visible when i part comb my hair, the transplanted hair has grown but it didnt as fast as the hair on my sides and back (areas that did not get transplanted).

Im afraid if i shave all of it off the transplanted hair wont grow at all. I wish others would share their experiences aswell. Thanks Pike.

G

Wow, what a story Pike Monster and sorry to hear of the experience you had. It is not my intention to speak ill of your hair transplant doctor but think about it. IMO, an over run of 100 grafts when he intended to excise approximately 300 grafts is not impressive, but rather scary. That a very small procedure.

Did you happen to notice who was dissecting your tissue specimen and what type of instuments they were using? Did they microscopically prepare your grafts or did they use simple magnification? Who created your recipient sites and what was utlilized, needles or custom sized blades? Did you have much scarring at the sites meaning any pitting or discoloration?

Sorry to load you with lots of questions but there are a number of possibilities of why you did not see the yield. And you're right most of these clinics will tell you the fix is to have more surgery! :freaked: Obviously you were much smarter than that. You would be amazed how many patients go back and have the same clinic do more surgery on them when the first one was a disaster. :freaked:

It's just unfortunate when someone has a terrible experience like that when it's very possible that the outcome might have been much different with a long term reputable proven hair transplant surgeon.

G

BTW, I have heard of the growth rate being a little bit slower with the transplanted hair but that is usually in the beginning and eventually grows normally. That's been my experience anyway.

Bod

Reaction score
Hi gillenator, I can't comment on how the tissues were being instrumented! all I know there was two women who were doing something behind me, whilst the hair transplant was being done I was watching the Discovery Channel :p

This is the website of the Dr who done the treatment http://www.farjo.com

G

PikeMonster,

Their website looks familiar because of the father, his son and wife being the doctors on the home page. I am not familiar with them nor their work but it appears they have been around for a decade or so. Maybe they do good work but have never heard or seen them recommended anywhere. Certainly not the way you see and hear about Dr. Rogers in the UK. Although they mention they are performing FUT methods using very small recipient incisions, I could not find any mention of microscopic graft dissection. This is where a fair amount of potential transection can occur, not to imply that's what happened to you but it always make me suspect when healthy appearing patients like yourself have failure in the yield. Doctors that utilize microscopes in graft preparation seem to always mention that in their material because it is a critical part of the success of the yield. You would be amazed at how many hair transplant doctors and their respective surgical techs do not use scopes at all. And it's one thing to have the scopes and quite another issue having the competence in the staff using them, especially when there is turnover in staff.

I hear this lack of scopes at times from patients not only regarding independent doctors and clinics but also in the hair mills/chains. And it's no wonder why you never hear or see docs from the hair mills recommended in the hairloss forums and community. They are virtually unknown but IMO the hair mills attain their patients from mass marketing in the media, not because they were recommended by a satisfied patient.

Again I am not trying to convey any criticism of your doctor but maybe get more opinions from a few more well known hair transplant docs. And as you know you also have the option of not doing anything more. Either way I wish the best for you PM.

michael barry

Reaction score
That Farjo outfit only had pics of 4 before and after patients.

They were typically from way too far away, Id insist of some "over the top" of the head photos and ask for photos from the back too.

Get the whole story before getting in the chair, always.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:

Yes, nasty.