Shaving For Fue - Just The Donor Area?

Wolfie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m a 27 year old male who is a norwood 2.5-3, following a similar pattern to my dad and lucky enough to have no crown thinning (at the moment anyway).

I use minoxidil/Regaine currently and have done for more than 4 months with no noticeable change to be honest.

I’m looking at having an FUE hair transplant, but don’t really want it to be known and as such do not want to shave my head.

I’ve been searching meticulously online and can’t seem to find out for certain if you can just have the donor site at the back of my head shaved and not the recipient area/hair on top of my head? Is this possible?

I would essentially want to have a short back and sides with longer hair on top to still hide the Norwood 2.5-3 but with the transplant successfully completed?

Any answers/views would be great!

Thanks

JohnP

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also wondered the same thing, check out Dr.Cole in Atlanta from his website he offers a non shaven FUE option, I haven’t done a transplant (yet) so I can’t speak to the results.

irishlad8787

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes you can, i got it done in ireland 6 months ago same pattern as you, just the back shaved and implanted in the front, the donor was back to normal after 10days and nobody has known except my mother who i told that i had the transplant done.

Wolfie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you happy with the result? Did you get told the results could be less ‘successful’ because you hadn’t shaved your recipient are? Cheers.

irishlad8787

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Only 6 months so can't say whatvresult is yet, no he just told me it makes it more awkward for him but didn't say I'd have less results.

irishlad8787

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Paid I think 10% extra but was worth it as I stayed home for 10 days after it and nobody has ever known I had it done, hair getting thicker now but doubt anybody who I'll notice as I always combed my hair forward.

Wolfie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Paid I think 10% extra but was worth it as I stayed home for 10 days after it and nobody has ever known I had it done, hair getting thicker now but doubt anybody who I'll notice as I always combed my hair forward.

Cheers mate!

RocketMan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes you can, i got it done in ireland 6 months ago same pattern as you, just the back shaved and implanted in the front, the donor was back to normal after 10days and nobody has known except my mother who i told that i had the transplant done.

Do you happen to have any pictures with your recipient area covered by longer hair shorty after hair transplant?

I'm also cosidering this option and also have NW2.5 but have not managed to find any pictures presenting that it is possible to have a small hair transplant covered by longer hair... let's say after 2-3 weeks. I could take a break up to 3 weeks but after that I would need to go back to work... so seeing your case would be very helpful :)

el_duterino

Reaction score
for a low Norwood doing FUE, you need to grow hair on top a lot, enough to have a long caesar type frontal comb-over. You can have the sides and back very short and this will look ok-ish, much better than a shave head with patches of shockloss , bumpy skin and redness for 3 months

It took me 6 months to grow hair long enoughon the whole top and crown, to be able to do that. prior to surgery My office coworkers got used to that weird hair style, I took 10 days off for the FUE since your face will be swollen for the first week, and then the combover covered it very well, no one noticed.
I even went on dates in the middle of the "ugly duckling" phase with redness and shock loss as it was all covered. the donor erea heals fast with FUE after 10 days no one can see anything if you have fair skin, and the Doctor used a smaller punch.

https://regalgentleman.com/blogs/bl...g-on-top-haircuts-to-show-your-barber-in-2018

irishlad8787

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you happen to have any pictures with your recipient area covered by longer hair shorty after hair transplant?

I'm also cosidering this option and also have NW2.5 but have not managed to find any pictures presenting that it is possible to have a small hair transplant covered by longer hair... let's say after 2-3 weeks. I could take a break up to 3 weeks but after that I would need to go back to work... so seeing your case would be very helpful :)
HI man no i didn't take any pics but as next poster said just grow it for a few months before your transplant, i always comb my hair forward anyway even when i had no loss so nobody noticed anything different about me. Nobody has suspected a thing about my hair as i took 3 weeks off from work and was all healed up after 10days-13 days.

RocketMan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

One more question - didn't you worry about the quality of the transplant without shaving the whole head? Apparently some well known surgeons (Bi sanga?) have some concerns when it comes to this procedure.

el_duterino

Reaction score
surgeons will need to shave the donor and around the recipient site, no the hair behind