Shaved My Head Now Depressed (need Advice)

lovelifeforever2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i started balding when I was 20 and it started getting thin at when i was 29. I started using minoxidil and it worked for a while but it was receding. I am now 35.
I am a very good looking guy and in the past women were very attracted to me. Balding really hurts for me.
I am super self conscious about it. It got to a point last month were i said forget it and i shaved it off. I was not completely bald before i shaved it but the bald spots were driving me nuts and i also did not want to use minoxidil anymore since i had a yellow pillow everyday.
When I first shaved it, I felt good, but then a really bad anxiety and depression set in. The first reaction was from a girl that i was dating. she told me that "your lucky you going bald so you can shave your head"
I still have the shadow on my head when I shave so it does look like i still have hair.
Now my family hates it, and this doesn't help. I personally hate it as well. Every time I look at my self in the mirror i get depressed. Although i feel good when i shave my head down to zero every-time.

When i first shaved it, lots of my friends said i look like a badass. Some laughed at me secretly. Girls that were dying to date me all the sudden lost interest. I went out one night to a bar and club, and i felt like i have completely lost my attractiveness. I didn't get looks from women like i used to get when i had little hair.
When wear a hat, I get SOOOO much attention from women which sucks.
I feel regretful for shaving my head.
I also feel like men shouldn't complain about looks but its hard. I get no support from my family and they hate my new look as well.(My mom text me daily that i should grow it back)
I feel like if i grow it back it wont look as good as before since i stopped using minoxidil, but maybe with time i get used to the baldness?
Im also really white and i did grow a beard but i look a little intimidating. Like a gangster or skinhead.
has anyone gone through the same?
Thanks for hearing me out.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I find it tends to look better when I cut down to a no 3-4 rather than shaving. If you are pale like me the shaved look can be a little intimidating for some people, a healthy tan can counter act it a little but I don't really have the head shape for a shave anyway.

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe a little SMP action would look good? Maybe our Lord Brotzu can bring you some hope, then comes Lord Vickers, and Great Overlord Choi with the hope. Lord Tsuji will ressurect the dead one day but for now depending on your norwood I would say SMP or a Hair system is your best bet.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I second what Murkey Thumb said above - maybe growing it out a little bit might look better and/or be more comfortable psychologically. Depends on the extent of baldness. I find that if someone is completely bald then the Mr Burn's ring looks really bad and best to keep it as closely shaved as possible .

Just remember. Hair is only one small body part. There are so many other features and you said you are a very good looking guy. Attractiveness depends on so many features, face, teeth, body, attitude, style, intellect, personality, how interesting your skills, hobbies, lifestyle choices are, etc. You can focus on maximising all those other things . No one is perfect. Shitloads of women will like studly guys with no hair who have many other features. If some dont who cares, they are airheads/

diseasedrat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i started balding when I was 20 and it started getting thin at when i was 29. I started using minoxidil and it worked for a while but it was receding. I am now 35.
I am a very good looking guy and in the past women were very attracted to me. Balding really hurts for me.
I am super self conscious about it. It got to a point last month were i said forget it and i shaved it off. I was not completely bald before i shaved it but the bald spots were driving me nuts and i also did not want to use minoxidil anymore since i had a yellow pillow everyday.
When I first shaved it, I felt good, but then a really bad anxiety and depression set in. The first reaction was from a girl that i was dating. she told me that "your lucky you going bald so you can shave your head"
I still have the shadow on my head when I shave so it does look like i still have hair.
Now my family hates it, and this doesn't help. I personally hate it as well. Every time I look at my self in the mirror i get depressed. Although i feel good when i shave my head down to zero every-time.

When i first shaved it, lots of my friends said i look like a badass. Some laughed at me secretly. Girls that were dying to date me all the sudden lost interest. I went out one night to a bar and club, and i felt like i have completely lost my attractiveness. I didn't get looks from women like i used to get when i had little hair.
When wear a hat, I get SOOOO much attention from women which sucks.
I feel regretful for shaving my head.
I also feel like men shouldn't complain about looks but its hard. I get no support from my family and they hate my new look as well.(My mom text me daily that i should grow it back)
I feel like if i grow it back it wont look as good as before since i stopped using minoxidil, but maybe with time i get used to the baldness?
Im also really white and i did grow a beard but i look a little intimidating. Like a gangster or skinhead.
has anyone gone through the same?
Thanks for hearing me out.

Hey buddy, sorry to hear what you're going through.

Your Mom may be a good woman, but based on one sentence I conclude that she's kind of insensitive, selfish and inconsiderate. WHO in their right mind sees a guy losing his hair (ESPECIALLY THEIR SON) and then makes such rude, hurtful comments when they decide to shave it?!?! f*** THAT.

yes you are probably less attractive with a shaved head. fact. it sucks and it's unfair. You went to the BAR and CLUB and women weren't paying as much attention. I am not a judgemental person, but I literally grew up working in a restaurant / bar setting and worked as a bartender for 12 plus years. Woman don't go to a bar to find a good, quality man. if they do, then they are just f*****g stupid. I mean, who in their right mind thinks, "hey I want to find a good man to date, lets go to a overcrowded place that sells sex and get wasted!! that will work". it's simple math and the formula doesn't add up.

chances are you're still a decent looking dude and you have a lot to work with. from someone that's been through it all with women, friends, family, and image, here is what i suggest.

1) don't even go to the bar. IF you must, go with the mindset that you're there to hang with friends and have a few. that's it. literally ignore the women.

2) look at this as an opportunity to weed out the shallow women. I know first hand that a good woman will stare more at your face and less at your hairline. if you have a decent face and a decent head shape, you can find a good woman.

3) look at this also as an opportunity to help dissolve the ego. that's the ultimate goal in life. I know it's hard living in such a superficial society, but there are good people literally EVERYWHERE. they don't give a f*** about you being bald. Maybe you won't find a woman, but take hope in your friends.

4) tell your mom she's a b**ch. because she is. straight up, she's a b**ch and someone needs to tell her.

5) look in the mirror a bit less, dress well, groom yourself, etc and be proud that at a young age you did what most men (including myself) were too cowardly to do.

We are proud of you man. Balding men that see you day to day admire you. it takes a ton of balls to be you.

lovelifeforever2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey buddy, sorry to hear what you're going through.

Your Mom may be a good woman, but based on one sentence I conclude that she's kind of insensitive, selfish and inconsiderate. WHO in their right mind sees a guy losing his hair (ESPECIALLY THEIR SON) and then makes such rude, hurtful comments when they decide to shave it?!?! f*** THAT.

yes you are probably less attractive with a shaved head. fact. it sucks and it's unfair. You went to the BAR and CLUB and women weren't paying as much attention. I am not a judgemental person, but I literally grew up working in a restaurant / bar setting and worked as a bartender for 12 plus years. Woman don't go to a bar to find a good, quality man. if they do, then they are just f*****g stupid. I mean, who in their right mind thinks, "hey I want to find a good man to date, lets go to a overcrowded place that sells sex and get wasted!! that will work". it's simple math and the formula doesn't add up.

chances are you're still a decent looking dude and you have a lot to work with. from someone that's been through it all with women, friends, family, and image, here is what i suggest.

1) don't even go to the bar. IF you must, go with the mindset that you're there to hang with friends and have a few. that's it. literally ignore the women.

2) look at this as an opportunity to weed out the shallow women. I know first hand that a good woman will stare more at your face and less at your hairline. if you have a decent face and a decent head shape, you can find a good woman.

3) look at this also as an opportunity to help dissolve the ego. that's the ultimate goal in life. I know it's hard living in such a superficial society, but there are good people literally EVERYWHERE. they don't give a f*** about you being bald. Maybe you won't find a woman, but take hope in your friends.

4) tell your mom she's a b**ch. because she is. straight up, she's a b**ch and someone needs to tell her.

5) look in the mirror a bit less, dress well, groom yourself, etc and be proud that at a young age you did what most men (including myself) were too cowardly to do.

We are proud of you man. Balding men that see you day to day admire you. it takes a ton of balls to be you.

Thank you man.

BaldAndLoveIt

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, it has been the exact opposite for me. Started shaving with a no.1 clipper about a month ago, and I feel like I look better at 35 than perhaps I've ever looked. I've gotten more smiles and "hello"s in the past 4 weeks than I've gotten in the past 4 years. Even had a women trip over a curb the other day smiling at me and not paying attention. That ain't ever happened before, that's for damn sure. I just can't believe it took me this long to take a razor to my head. Wish I had done this when I was single.