Shaved heads are as insecure as us

luis_scofield

Reaction score
I was thinking this the other day. How guys that choose to shave their head and "embrace" their baldness and often bash men who seek treatment are as insecure as guys who want to save or improve their hair.

Why? If they were so confident they wont even need to shave their head. Let me explain. Where i work there are men of many age range and so many stages of hair loss. There are two guys who look late 20s or early 30s. One of them is like norwood 3 with thinning crown. Looks decent unless he is under light. The other is norwood 4 with almost no hair on top. They are both young men with visible hair loss and aparently seem to not care, aswell as people around them. They dont shave their head and nobody ever say something about their hair.

My point is that if they would care they would either shave it or seek for treatment or a transplant. But they seem not to care or perhaps they dont know about what they can do. But guys who shave, obviously do it because thy care how they look. Because once it gets bad, hair loss can make you look old or wierd, and a shaved head looks cleaner, or at least better than a norwood 4 and so. Perhaps they failed with treatment, they didnt had money, they didnt knew or whatever reason they choosed not to do anything about it, once they realized they didnt look good the only option was to shave the remains.

Many guys who shave are not even bald, some are norwood 3 or 4 or even 2 , because nowadays it seems that if you have minor to mild hair loss you should shave your head like if was something to be ashamed about. Like yeah, so once women start to get wrinkles should they just hide their face? That would be insane, same with hair. Hair loss is nature and not our fault.

So back to my point, if shaved heads were so confident, they wouldnt shave, they would left what remain and try to look their best, or not do absolutely anything about. An example would be Heath Ledger, he had some hair loss but he still looked good because he appeared confident and used what he had to favour his facial features. Now that is confidence. If they shave like i said is because they worry about their looks, about how women will percieve if they look like balding men instead of bald men. Another example is Sean Connery, he used to hide it and now he embraces it and he doesnt have to shave his head, he has a classic norwood 6 hair and looks good for a man his age, honestly he would looks worse full shaved.

At least guys who use minoxidil or finasteride admit to be insecure about hair loss. In my case, even if im norwood 2 at worst (almost 26) having hair loss makes me feel old and i dont like that feeling so i rather do something about it, even if some people tell me i would look good shaved i dont care, i m not ready to let go of my hair, perhaps if i was older then maybe. So yeah hair loss makes me insecure so i choosed the big 3. Guys who shave and act tought and badass, and think of themselves as superior as guys who use treatment are as insecure, because they care about how they look too, id they wouldnt, they wouldnt shave their head entiretly like many men do.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
I will admit I just glanced at this. But I think I get the jest of what you're saying. I remember when my hairline started receding and I didn't know anything about treatments, I buzzed my hair to like a #2 or #3. At that point my hairloss was very minor, however I remember seeing guys who were Norwood#2.5 or 3 or even 3.5 and they would grow out their hair and it would look more aesthetic than me and my shaved head. I remember thinking "I wish I was secure enough to grow out my (NW1.5) hairline like these guys, but I'm to embarrassed to do it".

However don't be fooled. There are guys who shave or buzz their hair and look really good with it and these guys are the most confident of any of the hairloss guys IMO.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking this the other day. How guys that choose to shave their head and "embrace" their baldness and often bash men who seek treatment are as insecure as guys who want to save or improve their hair.

Why? If they were so confident they wont even need to shave their head.

Exactly, it's BS. "Embracing" hairloss would mean just letting your hair bald over the years. Larry David embraces his baldness.

Scorching the Earth is not "embracing" it. It's the exact opposite. It's shattering a vase you're trying to glue back together and melting the remaining pieces.

There is nothing wrong with shaving your head. But I can't stand the guys like Joe Rogan who tell young guys "Just shave it off b**ch". This is the guy who spent years trying to keep his hair, went through at least one hair transplant desperately trying to keep it, and once he was married with kids in his 40s, he "embraces" the bald look and "loves" it.

What it is, when those guys call you a "b**ch" is jealousy. They know they couldn't save their hair, and they're insecure that you actually might be able to, so they want you to join the "bald army" instead. I have had people tell me to "just shave it" despite being around a Norwood 2.5 to Norwood 3 with thick remaining hair.

So tl;dr- I agree. The guys who shave their head because they want to are cool in my book. But the ones who try to act like they are superior to you for shaving are ****ing hypocrites.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shaven heads are truly are the most insecure group of people, they think they can run and hide from their troubles with a quick shave, they think they are embracing hair loss when in actual fact they are just as worse as the concealers, the minioxidil users, the hair transplant gang and worst of all the rug wearers. These fools do not embrace the crown bestowed upon them by her magesty Malepatten Baldness, they hide under a sharp blade thinking that shaving it will hide the truth, hide their own vanity, their shame and self-disgust, but it only reveals it. What reason would they have to shave it apart from vanity, truly insecure.
A men among boys. With no shame:
larrydavid.jpg

Grow it long and proud, your crown is a gift and must be shown to all.

DO NOT SHAVE. RESPECT THE CROWN.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
A men among boys. With no shame:
larrydavid.jpg

Grow it long and proud, your crown is a gift and must be shown to all.

DO NOT SHAVE. RESPECT THE CROWN.
I love Larry, but he should at least take a #2 or #3 to his head so that it doesn't look like that of an old, decrepit p**rn star (i.e., Ron J.).

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it not simply that it looks better shaved, and less to worry about (e.g. if you just have some fuss on top)?

I've never had a problem with people shaving their heads

g.i joey

Reaction score
Lol how does doing something about it make you insecure. Jesus Christ the logic on this website is sometimes similar to that of a 5 year old

flewsmcgee

Reaction score
This thread is hilarious. Personal grooming does not equal insecurity. Recognizing that a shaved head looks better than a receding hairline doesn't mean they are insecure, it just means they RECOGNIZE THAT A SHAVED HEAD LOOKS BETTER. I like to dress in nice clothes 95% of the time, does that mean I am clothing-insecure or does it just mean that I like looking nice?

shookwun

Reaction score
Shaved head, goatee, camo-hunting jacket, aviators and lifted pick up truck will never go out of style.

LongHaired

Reaction score
Some guys look good with a shaved head, but what if you don't? I guess you're out of luck. Personally, if I were to lose my hair, I'd probably just get a really a good wig. I simply don't look good with a shaved head.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious. Personal grooming does not equal insecurity. Recognizing that a shaved head looks better than a receding hairline doesn't mean they are insecure, it just means they RECOGNIZE THAT A SHAVED HEAD LOOKS BETTER. I like to dress in nice clothes 95% of the time, does that mean I am clothing-insecure or does it just mean that I like looking nice?

I think the main point was against the guys who shave their heads but then turn around and attack the guys who take finasteride and minoxidil to preserve the hair they have left. "Just embrace it" is stupid if you have hair to save and you can take measures to save it.

A receding hairline can look worse past a point, but if you are a Norwood 2-3, you can still look good if you style it right. Wanting to keep your hair is viewed as "insecure" by the guys who give up and shave it.

flewsmcgee

Reaction score
I think the main point was against the guys who shave their heads but then turn around and attack the guys who take finasteride and minoxidil to preserve the hair they have left. "Just embrace it" is stupid if you have hair to save and you can take measures to save it.

A receding hairline can look worse past a point, but if you are a Norwood 2-3, you can still look good if you style it right. Wanting to keep your hair is viewed as "insecure" by the guys who give up and shave it.

Totally agree. I bet you'd find the same amount of lack of confidence on this board as you would on sly bald guys, just as you'd find plenty of confident guys on both simply trying to maximize their looks. You can't tell security or insecurity by the hair style, no matter how dismal or good it is. You either give a fark or you don't. But basically everyone is trying to maximize what they got regardless of confidence. That's pretty much a given.

alexpie2

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with this point of view. To say that in order to be fully confident with your hair you must not shave is sort of a wrong way of looking at things. Does that mean I should not take showers so I can become fully confident with my body odor? People who take the time to take care of themselves in a stride to look better are usually the ones that have less insecurities than the people who do not take care of themselves in my opinion.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So you're implying that your male pattern baldness crown is bad or what? Because comparing being smelly and having a baldness crown sounds pretty bad. It just proves that you're insecure about you hair.

flewsmcgee

Reaction score
So you're implying that your male pattern baldness crown is bad or what? Because comparing being smelly and having a baldness crown sounds pretty bad. It just proves that you're insecure about you hair.

Not really sure what you are arguing here? Yes, guys who shave their head are insecure about looking worse with grown out scraps. It doesn't mean they are insecure about their shaved heads. This isn't ground breaking news...

alexpie2

Established Member
Reaction score

I really do not see the argument here as well

shookwun

Reaction score
Mate, it takes balls to shave your head. They aren't the ones hiding behind a makeshift hairline, and hat to frame the face.

Hat prisoners next to comb over baldites are the most insecure.

alexpie2

Established Member
Reaction score
Was really hoping you'd elaborate on your point because I don't understand it.

77NJ

Reaction score
I think the main point that the OP is making is:

wanting to give the impression to others that something doesn't bother you, is actually what tells them that it *does* bother you.

It's the classic psychological paradox.