Shampoos

bobo

Reaction score
In addition to using nizoral and t-gel, I need a good shampoo to use regularly. Does anyone recommend a certain daily shampoo? I was looking at getting nisim or nioxin. Which is better? Any experiences? Thanks.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used to use Nioxin and liked the way my hair felt and looked. I won't vouch for any medicinal purposes that it claims, however. I don't think the "science" behind it holds up, but it definitely gives the appearance of a thicker and fuller head of hair.

If you want to save a few (or more) bucks, I really recommend the new Vive' for men by L'oreal. I use it and it works great to give hair a fuller look.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I use Nioxin scalp therapy conditioner just abouy every day. I love that stuff. It does nothing to help regrow hair but it's a good conditioner.
The problem with these kind of posts is that shampoos work differently from person to person. You're going to have to experiment with what works best for you.
Personally for me Nexxus Diametress thickening shampoo is by far the best stuff I've ever used and I've tried them all.
A lot of people like that Vive stuff but it was to much like putting detergent on my head and the stuff leaves you smelling like a cheap hoar. Way too much perfume for my taste, but that's just my opinion.
THis subject is brought up at least once a week. Try a search if you didn't already.

BHD

viperfish

Reaction score
XennA-183 shampoo, coal tar based shampoo containing L-toc, which they were able to show through some studies that it has the ability to block dht. Besides that it is a great shampoo really thickens the hair and calms irritation. It can be used everyday and if you don't like it they have a full money back guarantee.

teqeeler

Reaction score
i would try and find a natural shampoo, you dont want to much SLS, this chemical is just bad for you period.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
teqeeler said:
i would try and find a natural shampoo, you dont want to much SLS, this chemical is just bad for you period.

Ingredient Fact Sheet: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
What is it?

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a foaming agent naturally derived from coconut oil. SLS has a long history of safe use in a variety of consumer personal care products.

misterium

Reaction score
About SLS, I was concerned about it myself for awhile, especially after all the hype that a lot of organic companies like to fuss about... they always say it's 'bad' and is not found in their products..

Then I talked to Dr. Lee... and he said "don't worry it's safe", and I took that as better advice than some manufacturers..

But then again, chemists argue all the time.

I say it's harmless.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
teqeeler said:
I agree. Ever since I switched my daily shampoo to a natural, non-SLS one, scalp feels much much better.

avri

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
sh*t I'll try anything....Can anyone give a name of a non-SLS shampoo that they're happy with?

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
sh*t I'll try anything....Can anyone give a name of a non-SLS shampoo that they're happy with?
Honeysuckle Natural Baby Shampoo by Tom's of Maine. I prefer baby shampoo since Nizoral is harsh as it is, and a mild shampoo for the off-Nizoral days is a better combo for me.

avri

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
avri said:
BadHairDecade said:
Honeysuckle Natural Baby Shampoo by Tom's of Maine.

Actually it does have SLS in it. They just label it with it's natural name like coconut oil or something.
Read this directly from the Tom's of Maine website.
Here's the link http://www.toms-of-maine.com/toms/ifs/sls.asp

Ingredient Fact Sheet: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
What is it?

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a foaming agent naturally derived from coconut oil. SLS has a long history of safe use in a variety of consumer personal care products.

What does it do?

We use SLS in our toothpaste and shampoo because of its superior foaming and lathering properties. In our toothpaste, SLS enables proper dispersion of the ingredients, as well as easy rinsing. In our shampoo, SLS provides a pleasant lather and thorough rinsing abilities.

What are the alternatives?

SLS is not the only foaming agent available, but we believe it is the best choice due to its long history of safe use, its lack of odor or taste, and its low level of concentration in our products.

What are the risks?

We are well aware of the widespread Internet rumors regarding SLS and its use in shampoos, toothpaste, and other products. At Tom's we are concerned about the safety and efficacy of our products, so we take these rumors seriously. Specifically, we have heard claims that SLS is linked to cancer, cataracts, liver or kidney damage, and other maladies. These widespread rumors have recently been investigated by respected publications such as The Washington Post and The Berkeley Wellness Newsletter, both of which have called them a "sham" and a "hoax." So rampant are these rumors that they are even addressed on the "Urban Legends" website (http://www.snopes.com) under the "toxins du jour "heading, which provides additional reputable sources of information about SLS research.

We, too, have researched these claims extensively and have found them to be completely unsubstantiated. As formulated for cosmetic use, SLS has not been found to cause cancer in any recognized scientific research studies. When used in our shampoos and toothpaste, SLS has limited contact with the skin or gums, and is then rinsed out. At the levels used in our products, SLS has no known toxicity -- not even when ingested.

Because of its superior foaming properties, SLS is included in various formulations in other manufacturers' products, including industrial ones. Use of SLS at varying levels and in different formulations is, of course, completely unrelated to its use in Tom's of Maine products.

There is some research which shows that people with an existing gum condition called recurrent aphthous ulcers may experience more rapid healing if they temporarily use a toothpaste without SLS. Tom's of Maine recognizes that no two people are alike, and even with pure and natural ingredients, some individuals may develop an allergic reaction that is unique to them. As with any product, be sure to discontinue use is you experience discomfort or other indications that the product may not be appropriate for your individual body chemistry.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm actually using a similar shampoo that's only marketed abroad. Last I compared the two, the ingredients were similar, but I guess not identical. The one I bought abroad positively has no SLS.

avri

misterium

Reaction score
I also use baby shampoo.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Jesus H. Christ, people! Just use T/Gel. It's been scientifically proven, used in the Propecia trials, and is the most doctor recommended brand. Don't complicate your lives!

D.