shampoo shampoo shampoo

projectb36

Reaction score
hey guys, does anyone know of a really good thickening shampoo. i have really dry thin hair and while i'm on my way to recovering my receding hairline, i would appreciate it if anyone could help me out with a good brand.

Stingray

Reaction score
Nizoral tends to make even thin, sickly hairs look like sh*t..so I use infusium 23 conditioner. It is REALLY good stuff as far as I'm concerned. Smells a little fruity, but if the shoe fits...

Give it a try, give's my hair body.

The Gardener

Reaction score
What Sting says is so true. Between Nizoral and the alcohol in minoxidil, a good conditioner is necessary. I've used Infusium before and it is a good product.

I asked my hairstylist who knows about my regimen about it, he recommended Redken Extreme Anti-Snap. It's a leave-in conditioner I put on in the evenings before bed, after the minoxidil has dried as sort of an overnight reconditioner.

It is specifically designed for people with 'distressed' hair, and specifically is supposed to prevent hair breakage which is a big enemy of follicles being attacked by DHT.

When it goes on, it is somewhat liquidey and has a similar consistency to the minoxidil itself. But, after rubbing it in my hair is so smooth and when I wake up, it feels great. Even after the morning shower, the brittleness my hair used to have is gone, it now feels smooth and pliable and nice to the touch.

Of course it has a fruity smell as well, but not upleasant at all.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Actually, B36, I just re-read your message and have a bit more advice for you.

First off, 'hair thickening' shampoos are sold over the counter and make snake oil-like claims. Some of them seriously have a pine tar-like substance in them which supposedly delays telogen hairs from migrating out of their follicles and makes the hair look thicker. I would be wary of these, as I would think that keeping hairs IN the shaft would probably also keep minoxidil from getting IN.

If you are looking for a true, long-term thickening shampoo, then some studies show that the ingredient in Nizoral helps thicken shafts as much as an over the counter, non-pescription shampoo can. Second, although I have yet to try it, many here swear by Folligen products that supposedly do the same thing. I would recommend heading to the "Products" forum of this website and looking at what people have to say about these two products.

The product I recommended, Redken Extreme Anti-Snap I would not necessarily recommend as a thickener per se. For me, and the hair condition I had in my thinning areas, it makes my hair feel and look ten times more healthy. It didn't literally add body to my hair, but by making the stunted thinning hairs less brittle and more healthy, I have found that it makes these affected hairs look more like the other, non-thinning hairs on my head and gives my hair more healthy uniformity of texture. Before, the hairs on the thinning area would curl up and have an unhealthy texture. Now, this problem is gone.

Hope this helps.