Sexual Side Effects of Propecia (Finesteride)

be001g

Reaction score
I have been taking Finesteride 1.25mg daily now for 2 months. During the first 6 weeks or so, I noticed absolutely now sexual side effect; however, over the past two weeks, I have begun to take note of the following:

-a total drop in libido (absolutely no interest in sex)
-no erectile disfunction, just not a whole lot of interest - it's like "going threw the motions
-very weak orgasm in terms of intensity
-reduction in the amount and force

This is very odd, I suppose, because I thought that if you did have side effects right away, you would not get them, and also they are very rare indeed. I also heard that in most cases the problems resolve themselves in just a little while.

My side effects are not pleasant, but I suppose tolerable, if it works. I never really think about sex anymore- it's amazing how much time and effort and thought we devote to the issue. I have so much more free time. I just hope I go back to my old self. Sex has become a chore to do, rather than a fun thing.

G

Everyone goes through this but at different times it seems. Try to stick with it and see how it goes. You may find it's up and down like a yoyo.

You could try to reduce the intake of finasteride even further.

Rez

Reaction score
Just a thought, but these sexual side effects could possibly be a result of the hairloss and not totally due to finasteride. When I first started to lose my hair I was an emotional wreck...thought my life was over. Now, I've been on the finasteride for 4 months. The shedding has reduced and I'm slowly returning to my old self. Give it some time my friend.

be001g

Reaction score
I doubt that it is from the hair loss itself. I was my horny self for the first up until about a month ago. At that point, I had already been taking Propecia for 6 weeks. My hairloss was never so accute. I am the only one that really nocticed. My doctor said that I am at the very early stages of hairloss. I think it's NW2, but she thinks it is more NW1. She actually advised me to "wait and see", but I think every day on Propecia / Minoxidl are potentially hairs save. I don't want to wait until I have hair loss that others can detect.

I can still get it up and orgasm properly, it's all just not that much fun as before. Also, the amount of the orgasm in terms of quality and quantity is a mere shadow of what it once was. This is a serious problem.

However, most sexual side effects observed with Propecia in the clinical trials resolved themselves thoughout the course of the study. I think the body might need to re-adjust its hormones around and in the process, it plays tricks with your libido.

I plan to try and ride it out. Thinking less about sex is also amazing, really. It's amazing how much more your can concentrate on the task at hand, rather than the body walking by.

be001g

Reaction score
Update: My doctor has recommended that I stop taking finesteride, as she believes that hair loss is not such a big deal. I disagree, and I will try and wait this out.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After about 2weeks on finasteride I thought that i was having libido and erectional problems as a side effect. It turns out I was sick of looking at the same old p**rn over and over. I got some new p**rn and BANG, back to normal.

Dimebolt3000

Reaction score
I had similar problems and decided to get off. The 2% of users that experience a dip is total BS. If you're happy with ur gf and love tappin', id suggest gettin off, just my opinion. :D

flip

Reaction score
yeah I agree, I cant believe how badly propecia effected me. I have come good now, but I only had 2 tablets and stopped as soon as the side effects kicked in and it took a month before I could get a hard on without a fair bit of foreplay, and even then half the time I would lose my errection half way through. I had trouble ejaculating aswell and it was a very small amount and watery. I am fine now, but I had never been so scared and depressed and embarrassed, I had thoughts that I wouldnt be able to have kids.

This happened just as I started going out with a new girlfriend as well. She thought she was the reason I couldnt get a hard on,. It almost cost me my relationship. So people, just think about it, if your having sexual problems because of propecia, perhaps its not worth it.