Several Beginner Transplant questions

sulfate5

Reaction score
Hey. I am am new to this site and new to this in general. I am 25years old and my hairline started receding when I was roughly 14-15. I would say I am between Norwood 2 and 3. I am unsure as to how fast my hair is falling off as I have been keeping my hair buzzed for the last several years.

I always wear a hat as I am very embarrassed of my receding hairline. Not even my close friends know the extent of it. I had been seeing several dermatologist throughout the years but I had never done any treatment. I started Minoxidil 5% in FEB of this year and I think it might be helping a bit, but I want more progress so I have to go the the next step. I am very scared of the possible side effects of Propecia so I am considering a transplant. Here are some general questions:

1) After some research I read that you should continue with finasteride after the transplant so the hair behind the transplant doesn't fall off. My question is, would only minoxidil be OK?
2)How bad are the scars? would I be able to keep my hair buzzed after the transplant?
3)My hair is quite thin throughout my head, would that cause a problem with not having enough donor hairs?
4)Money is slightly an issue, but not too much. I went scuba diving in thailand several years ago and would love to go back and even get an transplant in the region to save some money. Any thoughts on that?

I might have some follow up questions later. Thanks a lot for the help. Here is a pic;

Attachments

• DSC00228.JPG
    DSC00228.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 159

sulfate5

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply.

regarding the thinning hair, I am not sure what it is. For example, if you look at the pic near my ear up to the front of my face, look how far apart all the hair are. Maybe it has to do with me wearing a hat often. I also have a slight beard and have noticed that my beard hair falls out just as much as my head hair. I had a blood test done some time ago and everything was normal. Could there be something else which is causing my hair to easily fall out?

PDJ

Reaction score
I would recommend the FUE method as well. I have similar hair and a similar loss pattern/area and the doctor I consulted with told me that we are perfect candidates for the FUE methods. I live in San Diego and was quoted $6900 for 1000 grafts. Not sure if this is a good price or not, I have a consultation appointment with Bosley this weekend since the Bosley here does FUE and I'll see if they have a better deal. Either way, I would go with the FUE, the strip method sounds too intense...stappling your head and all that good stuff, yikes! The new FUE method looks pretty good, not like the old plug style. good luck!

Naltima

Established Member
Reaction score
PDJ said:
I would recommend the FUE method as well. I have similar hair and a similar loss pattern/area and the doctor I consulted with told me that we are perfect candidates for the FUE methods. I live in San Diego and was quoted $6900 for 1000 grafts. Not sure if this is a good price or not, I have a consultation appointment with Bosley this weekend since the Bosley here does FUE and I'll see if they have a better deal. Either way, I would go with the FUE, the strip method sounds too intense...stappling your head and all that good stuff, yikes! The new FUE method looks pretty good, not like the old plug style. good luck!

I hope this is not too late for you. But DO NOT GO TO BOSLEY I repeat DO NOT GO TO BOSLEY. It sounds like you need to do a lot more research regarding hair transplants if you are even considering going the Bosley route. Please do your research before you have anything done to your hair, this is a decision you will have to live with for the rest of your life. There are a lot of good docs that do good transplants for instance.

Feller
Rahal
Ron Shapiro

and many more, but you'll have to dig around to see who suits your situation best.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
Manutd4545 said:
If you go with FUE then the scar will be tiny white scars barely noticable. You will wasily be able to keep your hair buzzed. With a strip you have got no chance of buzzing your hair. Having your hair the way you do know will be impossible with strip.

Is it possible to disguise the scar with a tattoo ?