Seth's Story

seth9027

Reaction score
Hello everybody, it's good to find a forum that seems to have such well-informed people on it.

I don't have any pictures, but here's my story. My hair loss started very early, even sophomore year of high school I could tell something was different. At first it was still pretty thick, but the quality of the hair in the front was different than the back. I've always had curly, wavy hair, but it began to become very dry and kinky in the front, although the thinning was very gradual. I also always had a very high forehead, even as a child.

Now I'm 20 and a sophomore in college. Thankfully, the thinning has been very gradual, but consistent. I've definitely lost a lot of density in the front, although still no drastic recession, and recently I've noticed thinning at the vertex with a slight bald spot. I'm sure this has been going on for awhile but has only just become noticeable.

I recently went on Propecia in May after a visit to a dermatologist confirmed that I have male pattern baldness. So far, I've noticed a little bit more shedding, but it seems that this often happens in the first months of Propecia, so I'm going to give it at least a year and see if I've maintained or made any progress.

My derm also put me on Loprox shampoo and told me to use it every 3 or 4 days and on the off days use a zinc shampoo such as Zincon or Head and Shoulders to control my seborrheic dermatitis. I thought that these medicated shampoos might exacerbate my hair loss, but he assured me they would not and that getting my scalp problem under control would probably actually help. Any thoughts on this?

Basically, I'm looking for any advice on things I might add to my regimen. I think I'm going to wait awhile and see how Propecia does before trying minoxidil.

Another type of product I am interested in are the concealers, not to use everyday but for when I go out on the weekends, etc. I've heard good things about Toppik, are there any stores that sell these products, because it is a hassle for me to order over the internet?

Well, that's my story, I'd appreciate any input from you guys.

lilltoolate

Established Member
Reaction score
You are on the right track already. I guess your Doctor is right about the shampoo because its very important to maintain your scalp in good condition to get good results from the treatment. As you said give propecia some time. Seems like you are a good responder since initial signs of shedding is good.

I recommend you consider adding rogaine to your regimen in the future to gain some regrowth upfront where you've lost density. Good luck

RaginDemon

Reaction score
lilltoolate said:
You are on the right track already. I guess your Doctor is right about the shampoo because its very important to maintain your scalp in good condition to get good results from the treatment. As you said give propecia some time. Seems like you are a good responder since initial signs of shedding is good.

I recommend you consider adding rogaine to your regimen in the future to gain some regrowth upfront where you've lost density. Good luck

You dont necessarily need to experience the initial finasteride shed to be a good responder.

My buddy got about 75-80% of his hair back after taking finasteride for a yr, but he never had any major shedding at all. We started about the same time, and the rate of his hair thickening up is just simply amazing. He gave me all his topik since he no longer needs it.

lilltoolate

Established Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
lilltoolate said:

You dont necessarily need to experience the initial finasteride shed to be a good responder.

My buddy got about 75-80% of his hair back after taking finasteride for a yr, but he never had any major shedding at all. We started about the same time, and the rate of his hair thickening up is just simply amazing. He gave me all his topik since he no longer needs it.

By saying 'good responders' I actually meant people who are 'early responders' like myself who got very good results within the first 3-4 months of taking propecia. If I remember correctly, I experienced shedding very soon after I started taking propecia and I believe I've read many people who have had the same experience. Thats why I say its a very good sign.

As far as your friend's experience is concerned, all I've got to say is that different people respond differently to treatment. And your buddy's great thickening up must've been aided by very low shedding.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
lilltoolate said:
RaginDemon said:
lilltoolate said:

By saying 'good responders' I actually meant people who are 'early responders' like myself who got very good results within the first 3-4 months of taking propecia. If I remember correctly, I experienced shedding very soon after I started taking propecia and I believe I've read many people who have had the same experience. Thats why I say its a very good sign.

As far as your friend's experience is concerned, all I've got to say is that different people respond differently to treatment. And your buddy's great thickening up must've been aided by very low shedding.

I think so too...his hair thickened up so quick that within 3-4 months of Propecia intake, he didn't look like he has thinning hair at all.

seth9027

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I have one more question. I'm thinking about ordering a copper peptide shampoo like Tricomin to use instead of a zinc shampoo between the days that I use Loprox for Seb derm. My thinking here is that since the loprox is already killing the fungus causing the problem, the Tricomin might be able to help with the inflammation on my scalp.

Has anyone ever used or heard of someone using copper peptides for seborrheic dermatitis?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
i only use nizoral