Serum Paroxonase 1 level may be an Indicator and Predictor of the Severity of Androgenetic Alopecia

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Pharmacological and dietary modulators of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity and expression: the hunt goes on.​

Table 1​

Pharmaceutical drugs found to increase PON1 activity/expression in animals or Humans
Drugs​
PON1 increase​
Reference​
Cardiovascular drugs
Statins (simvastatin, atorvastatin)*​
5–23%​
[1720, 25]​
Fibrates (Gemfibrozil, fenofibrate)*​
18–59%​
[23, 29]​
Probucol​
50%​
[36]​
Ezetimibe​
32%​
[37]​
Aspirin*​
13%​
[32, 34]​
Antidiabetic drugs
Rosiglitazone​
10–67%​
[3840]​
Eplerenone​
60%​
[41]​
Sulphonylureas (glimepiride, glibenclamide)​
28–64%**​
[42]​
Other drugs
Erythropoietin beta​
23%​
[48]​

Table 2​

Dietary antioxidants found to increase PON1 activity/expression in animals or Humans
Antioxidant​
PON1 increase​
Reference​
Vitamin C, Vitamin E​
7–80%​
[5559]​
Quercetin​
30–200%​
[6266]​
Green tea​
17–40%​
[70]​
Grape seed extract​
21–87%​
[72]​
Blueberries​
25%​
[73]​
Pomegranate juice​
20–80%​
[7577]​
Dates (Hallawi variety)​
15%​
[80]​
Protandim®​
35%​
[74]​

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People have taken tocopherols & tocotrienols, glutathione, NAC, astaxanthin and many other antioxidants without success.

What I love about studies like these though is that it throws a wrench in the broscience argument that balding men are the same as everyone else, but they just somehow miraculously have "DHT-sensitive folllicles". Systemic differences prove that whatever is causing Androgenetic Alopecia is present over the entire body, the hair follicle likely just manifests it the strongest.

EDIT: Apparently it's not just a mild difference either. Non balding people have 3 times as much PON1 on average.

View attachment 174751
It seems that the general consensus is a decrease of serum PON1 enzyme activities is directly associated with systematic oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. Same conclusion on every papers/studies.

example below.. I can carry on forever with so many studies.

"Genetic deletion of PON1 is associated with increased susceptibility of LDL to oxidation ex vivo, increased measures of macrophage oxidative stress, and increased lesion size in animal models of atherosclerosis; conversely, overexpression of the human PON1 transgene in mice results in reduced aortic lesion size and corresponding decreases in epitopes recognized by antibodies specific for oxidized lipid-protein adducts"

Last edited:

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anybody on high dose quercetin/genistein supplementation? Doubt it'd make a difference but shouldn't hurt

inmyhead

Reaction score
I started on Pomegranate extract on the basis of increasing paroxonase and progesterone. Apparently it's not a simple matter whether Pomegranate is estrogenic. It reduces estradiol and acts as a SERM, and in women reduces both Estrone and Testosterone. If it were estrogenic though, I don't know why people use it for ED. I keep seeing 'hormone balancing'.

Anyway, I will also be starting Alfatradiol too soon.

I haven't been taking anything recently so will be able to report any progress or lack thereof.
are you still on it?

zaman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
are you still on it?

Not consistently. I lost interest a bit because I expected some sort of changes to take place in 4 months but didn't notice anything. I know that's a short time frame, but I expect to see at least something, or reduction in shedding. To be fair, I also have concerns about my liver so was recently alternating with other vitamins and having days off

Still using Alfatradiol though.