Serious Side Effects On dutasteride/finasteride. What To Do?

rlf

Established Member
Reaction score
So, this is gonna be a bit longer.

I took Finasteride 1mg since 2001 without any sides what so ever. In May this year I saw that my hair suddenly has worsened after 15 years of complete maintainence.

Since May I also have servere anxiety and depression. I know that this is said to be a side effect of Finasteride, but I had episodes even before finasteride. There is a reason for these, they are because of certain circumstances in my life, the sudden hairloss being one of them. I got a neuroleptic for this from a Doctor and have been taking it since.

So I added RU in August and hoped it would do something. In late August I suddenly had an episode where I noticed erectile dysfunction. Couldn't get it up. After talking to my doctor it subsided after 2 days. He also told me this is most likely because of my mental state.

So in September I added 2x dutasteride a week to my Fansteride since the hairloss continued very fast.

After 2-3 weeks I had a hormonal check done. I know i should have done it before starting.

It revealed too high estrogen, very low test and free test. DHT was at 200 (300 being the low reference for this).

In March of this year I had bloodwork done and my test came in high. At this time I felt great, no mental problems.

I thought that maybe my mental state, which was and still is horrendous was to blame for this. So I did nothing and wanted to reevaluate in a few months with a new test.

I could still get erections, when I stimulated, I remember even a few spontaneous erections. I didn't get morning wood and thought nothing of it. To be honest I don't remember how often I got morning wood during the last few years. I remember that I had it once or twice in August after the short ED thing.

Now last week I kind of felt that I wouldn't get hard like a few weeks before. I do use Sidenafil when having sex, because my anxiety would stress me out too much without it. And I noticed that Sil didn't work as well.

Also my Doctor put me on an SSRI a few days ago, which surely doesn't help.

I could still masturbate though. However I got curious if I would get nocturnal erections and did the paper test with a piece of tape. On the first night I woke up and felt the tape being a bit tight, but I wasn't erect. On the second night it finally ripped apart, but the erection was weak.

So I paniced. And suddenly I couldn't get hard at all. On the day before the paper test I still managed to maturbate but now it's no use. It stays flacid.

I deceided to throw out the dutasteride and go to a doctor to get my hormones back to what they where.

But I don't want to quit finasteride. I used it for 25 years without problems! The thought of quitting it and seeing all my hair go within a few months is just horrifying. But I also don't want this ED to persist.

What to do? I mean the psychological component surely factors in as well. For instance I took Sil to see if it would help. I could get erect and masturbate. A few hours later I tried again but failed. But then I talked to my girlfriend on the phone and suddenly got an erection. So the stress also makes this difficult.

Is it the right thing to throw out dutasteride? How long will it stay in the body, if I took 1mg a week for 2 months?

Can I try staying on finasteride?

rlf

Established Member
Reaction score
Just managed to finally get an erection while masturbating. Feel so good! However I still need to get m hormones in order, right?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like it is mostly psychological. Obviously if a test showed that your hormone levels are actually out of wack then you should talk to a doctor about what to do. Did your doctor recommend testosterone replacement therapy or anything? Was your estrogen actually very high while testosterone was very low, or were they just on the high and low ends of the normal range?

rlf

Established Member
Reaction score
My hormone levels 2 months ago where:

E2: 54 (Normal Range 0 - 50)
Test: 10 (8,4 - 28,7)
Free Test: 0,94 (1,1 - 3,1)
DHT <120 (300 - 850)
IGF 1 293 (88 - 245)
SHBG 37 (10 -57)
DHEAS 263 (40 - 400)
Serotonin 263 (40 - 400)
Prolactin 3,5 (2,5 - 17)

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Test is low and E is high. Opposite of how it should be in a healthy male. I imagine an AI like Anastrazole will make you feel great but its not a long term option.

MikeW

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop taking the drug. It fucked me up mentally. The side effects can be disastrous.

rlf

Established Member
Reaction score
I've taken finasteride for 15 years without any sides! Could it be that from one day to another I get them? Or is it the dutasteride? Or just the hormones being so out of whack do to my psychological issues?

MikeW

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've taken finasteride for 15 years without any sides! Could it be that from one day to another I get them? Or is it the dutasteride? Or just the hormones being so out of whack do to my psychological issues?

Many men have been reporting full blown crashes and random side effects after long term use.

This drug is dangerous and can permanently wreck and alter your endocrine system. I'm suffering from Post Finasteride Syndrome and debilitating side effects after 1 month of usage.

rlf

Established Member
Reaction score
But I also took dutasteride for 2 months. How could finasteride crash me after 15 years of use?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
bro the duta stay in the system for a long time . it has a half life of 5 week at steady state.
i doubt you reach wteady state after 1 mg for 2 month .
But in 3 month you should be perfectly ok .
no gyno or puffy nipples after such long times on propecia ?

rlf

Established Member
Reaction score
No, no gyno at all. Maintained my hair for 14 years until suddenly not working anymore this year.

Gone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you still on SSRIs? Those things are awful when it comes to masturbation. I wouldn't rule those pills out as a cause if you're still on them, though your hormones could also certainly be a factor.

rlf

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not.I also feel that it's slowly getting better, having erections again from time to time. I hope it was the Dutasteride, which also takes long to get out of the body.

misterman117

My Regimen
Reaction score
Many men have been reporting full blown crashes and random side effects after long term use.

This drug is dangerous and can permanently wreck and alter your endocrine system. I'm suffering from Post Finasteride Syndrome and debilitating side effects after 1 month of usage.
Hey, so im 18 right now currently going trough signs of male pattern baldness. My hairline has receded and my hair on the sides of my head are thinning. Theres not much i can do besides taking finasteride or just doing nothing and coping with this? But all these cases of people dealing with side effects are really pushing me away from taking this. Suggestions?

MikeW

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, so im 18 right now currently going trough signs of male pattern baldness. My hairline has receded and my hair on the sides of my head are thinning. Theres not much i can do besides taking finasteride or just doing nothing and coping with this? But all these cases of people dealing with side effects are really pushing me away from taking this. Suggestions?

If I can save one guy from ending up like me, don't risk your physical and mental health.

I may be in a small minority. But it's not worth the chance.

Use anything else, topicals.

Wear a hair system.

My life is a living hell right now and it's due to Finasteride.

misterman117

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I can save one guy from ending up like me, don't risk your physical and mental health.

I may be in a small minority. But it's not worth the chance.

Use anything else, topicals.

Wear a hair system.

My life is a living hell right now and it's due to Finasteride.

Im not too familiar with terms, what is a hair system and a topical?

MikeW

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Use Rogaine, ru58841, products you put on your hair. Try topical finasteride.

A hair system, a hair piece.

Jordiboy137

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mike how are you doing mate, i hope you have recovered or at least improved, i like you have issues from RU58841. Used it once and it shut me down.