serious advice needed guys....

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I have definately been experiencing pain in my left peck(not in my right)... been using propecia for almost 3 monthes. Now I understand gyno is an uncommon side effect and often not serious so I've decided to temporarily cut my dosage down to .25 mg (from 1 mg) and increase my exercise routine. Do you guys think this will have any effect on the side effects? Also do you think my hair will suffer?(keep in mind that I'm young and not far along in the hair loss process..)

imissmyhair

Reaction score
same thing happend to me, pain just behind my nuts and feeling of depression/axiety, i gave it a week off propecia and things returned to normal now im gona try it 1mg every other day, i read in the forum that yes cutting it down to .2 daily will reduce side effects but this will also greatly reduce the effectiveness of the drug, but i have read success by going to every other day at 1mg or droping down to .5mg daily. anything less than those two options seems to not be very effective from what ive read

u can always try it yourway for 3 months then make your own judgement as that is how long any effects will take on your hair and see if u get maintanance+less sides

good luck :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
I would not change your dosage yet. Many, many people here have complained of some short-term side effects, but these effects have petered out over time as the hormones find a new equilibrium.

ghostdog

Reaction score
for christs sake people this drug affects your whole hormonal balance and will affect many things other than your hair. The idea that DHT is some evil thing purely designed to produce baldies is nonsense, it has multiple roles in the body. Taking this drug had a severe impact on my liver and put me in hospital for several weeks. I really hope a topical alternative is developed because people really shouldnt be messing with their bodies in this way.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ghostdog said:
for christs sake people this drug affects your whole hormonal balance and will affect many things other than your hair. The idea that DHT is some evil thing purely designed to produce baldies is nonsense, it has multiple roles in the body. Taking this drug had a severe impact on my liver and put me in hospital for several weeks. I really hope a topical alternative is developed because people really shouldnt be messing with their bodies in this way.

Nonsense, no way could propecia affect your liver seriously enough to put you in hospital unless you had some pre-existing condition.

ghostdog

Reaction score
dude you really have no idea. I have autoimmune hepatitis a chronic condition prevalent mainly among women. My hepatologist (who is one of the best in the field) said it can be drug induced and, along with the mycin drugs, the slight feminisation resulting from finasterise could very well be responsible. DHT has a role in the liver you know and any variation in androgen role could be very important. He went to more detail than this but I didnt understand/remember. Perhaps I may be genetically predisposed to this but he seemed pretty sure this was the trigger.

Surely people getting gyno, losign erections etc from these DHT ihibitors are a sign that these drugs do more than just stop your hair failing out. Combating them with other things (drugs for gyno and v**** or whatever) is just papering over the cracks, you can bet there'll be other less noticeable but perhaps more chronic effects. Id imagine a drug that messes with hormonal balance in such a way may have mental effects.

I really hope a decent topical alternative comes out, RU seems like this but why noone is selling this is a bit bizarre.

Britannia

Reaction score
Ghostdog what the hell were you doing taking finasteride with a liver condition? If you went to see a Dr and they said it would be OK to take finasteride with a liver conditon then go get yourself a lawyer. Seriously.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
trentender said:
Ghostdog what the hell were you doing taking finasteride with a liver condition? If you went to see a Dr and they said it would be OK to take finasteride with a liver conditon then go get yourself a lawyer. Seriously.

i was gonna say the same thing!

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
lol well didn't mean to start a flame but i'd like some more advice please guys.... i've been on .25 mgs for about a week now and i still feel a little painful lump in my left nipple.... what should i do? i really don't wanna stop taking this drug.... how big of tits will gyno grow you? lol

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
ghostdog said:
dude you really have no idea. I have autoimmune hepatitis a chronic condition prevalent mainly among women
Maybe you should have actually read the Propecia contradindication sheet which plainly states that people with existing liver conditions should not take Propecia. Instead you come here and freak people out like crazy by just saying "Propecia put me in the hospital".

Please do not scare people away from a treatment and completely leave out the MAJOR information that you have hepatitis. Lord.....

I guess we need to keep policing these forums on a post by post basis. Sigh.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
lol well didn't mean to start a flame but i'd like some more advice please guys.... i've been on .25 mgs for about a week now and i still feel a little painful lump in my left nipple.... what should i do? i really don't wanna stop taking this drug.... how big of tits will gyno grow you? lol
Signs of Gyno are typically swelling and sore lips, swelling and sore external tissue around your nipples .... engorgement ... trust me you feel it ... .. your nipples hurt on the skin level. Gyno related chest swelling is an increase in fatty tissue that makes you look like you have bouncy soft squishy boobies .... after a period of like a year or more. It can start out as a knob however.

If you are concerned about the knob, please see a physician. Don't listen to a bunch of guys like us on a forum. Let him check you out, and ask him if it is reminiscint of Gyno. That's the best thing you can do.

HairLossTalk.com

ghostdog

Reaction score
guys.... I DID NOT HAVE A LIVER CONDITION BEFORE

My hepatologist is of the opinion that finasteride triggered my AIH (ie my liver condition). My liver was fine before.

Why would I want to scaremonger, I am just telling it like it is. You can believe me or not but dont pretend your all experts on DHTs multiple roles in the body just because you cant face the possibility that finasteride may be bad.

One more thing, it is auto immune hepatitis that I have. This is compelely different from hepatitis A, B, C etc. It is not caught from viruses or anythign like that, instead it is an autoimmune response believed to be the result of T-cells acting not quite how they should. Again, my doctor said Propecia probably triggered this response.

ghostdog

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
ghostdog said:
dude you really have no idea. I have autoimmune hepatitis a chronic condition prevalent mainly among women
Maybe you should have actually read the Propecia contradindication sheet which plainly states that people with existing liver conditions should not take Propecia. Instead you come here and freak people out like crazy by just saying "Propecia put me in the hospital".

Please do not scare people away from a treatment and completely leave out the MAJOR information that you have hepatitis. Lord.....

I guess we need to keep policing these forums on a post by post basis. Sigh.

HairLossTalk.com

for christ's sake give me a bit of respect will you. Inform yourself before getting righteous on other people's asses.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What proof did your doctor give you that finistride caused your immune reaction towards your liver?

Even if thats the only drug you take, it could be easily caused by genetics or some other variable in your body - like some illness you have or had ( even as a child ).

Also Ive read recently that certain types of vaccinations may have a causel relationship with auto-immune diseases.

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
Thankyou HairLossTalk.com much appreciated help. I've made an appointment with my doctor as he's supposed to be monitoring me anyways....

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
ONE more question for you HairLossTalk.com... now my understanding from the propecia side effect list is that it is possible just to develop breast pain or tenderness and NOT have gyno am I correct about this?