Senile Alopecia = Androgenetic Alopecia

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
This probably doesn't interest a lot of you but I'm just thinking out loud and wanted to share.

I use to think that even with men without dht sensitive follicles that they could thin in old age albeit without hairline recession or a bald spot forming e.g. Richard Gere. I figured just as people age differently, some have wrinkles earlier or lose muscle mass quicker, some lose hair density as they reach old age even though they don't have androgenetic alopecia.

However now I suspect that ANY thinning, even in guys with full heads of hair at 80, is the result of carrying the male pattern baldness gene(s) except it's exceptionally mild form of it. So in the 80% or so of men who experience Androgenetic Alopecia, a substantial amount have "stable" zones i.e. the back and sides of hair (or on top if they full head of hair still) that are actually susceptible to miniaturization but it only becomes visible when they get very old.

A guy with absolutely no Androgenetic Alopecia is Leonard Nimoy. His hair is as thick as a teenager's and hes' 82. No "senile alopecia" for him.

11_LeonardNimoy_SS_MG_2045.jpg

terte.jpg

With all that said, I would give my left nut to have Richard Gere's hair genes or any guy who has a full head of hair into old age even if they experience hair loss eventually.