Semi-success - 6 months generic minoxidil

aaron2121

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've followed the site for a bit and decided I'd post my results here after six months of using 5% generic minoxidil from Wal-mart.

I'm sorry for the lack of quality of my early pictures as I didn't really intend to catalog/showcase my experience when I first started.

I started using generic minoxidil just over six months ago, April 24th, 2013. I was also using the Neutrogena t/gel substitute because that was all Wal-mart had at the time.

Just tonight I found 1% Nizoral shampoo so I'm adding that to my regimen and hoping that will perhaps thicken up some of the newer hairs I've got, and perhaps increase any future regrowth.

I've attached photos with their dates as the file names. I keep my hair really short normally, as it's a good look on me. I've tried to select some photos that are spaced rather evenly through my experience, and show my head after a buzzcut, and after a week or two of regrowth. I don't have many photos for most of August because I was doing some traveling abroad.

4-24-2013.jpg4-29-2013.jpg5-15-2013.jpg5-28-2013.jpg5-29-2013.jpg6-9-2013.jpg6-19-2013.jpg7-7-2013.jpg

aaron2121

Reaction score
The original post only let me add eight photos. Here's the most recent four. As I said, I'm going to begin using Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week and hopefully will remember to come back to this thread to update any new experience.

Any questions / comments / advice / encouragement is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.

7-28-2013.jpg8-27-2013.jpg10-31-2013.jpg10-31-2013a.jpg

Bombarie

Banned
Reaction score

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
WOW, you're getting hairs where you had nothing. This is great man!
I would recommend finasteride, but I'm guessing you have your reasons since you're not on it. I think you have a lot of potential here!

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a guy on this site who was the same as you, nearly bald but decided to start on minoxidil. He showed the same results as you. Then he decided to get on to finasteride and then his hairs started to grow even better.

I remember he showed us his picture from his drivers licence 4 years ago to the drivers licence he had that day (he just got back from taking the picture), he looked so much younger.

Seriously bro, it looks like your scalp decided to go back in time, people must've noticed.

Playoff_Beard

Reaction score
Very nice, congrats on the success!

My head looks almost exactly like yours did at the beginning. I'm at 3-1/2 months on 5% minoxidil twice per day, Nizoral shampoo 3 times per week and Saw Palmetto (160 mg capsules) each morning.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much progress yet, but you have encouraged me to keep trying. Thanks!

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:whaasup: Holy ****
That's incredible, honestly if this is fake I will cry....
Get on propecia. You are our last hope.

Seriously fack me

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is quite incredible. To regrow so much hair on previously slick bald skin is almost unheard of. Cosmetically you still have a ways to go in terms of density, but I agree with justdoit, I'd be very interested in seeing your progression if you add finasteride to your regime...

aaron2121

Reaction score
August 5th update

Hi all,

I became quite busy with travel and work. Ended up in South America for 3 months (8 weeks longer than anticipated) and had only brought 1.5 months of supply of Minoxidil with me. I tried to ration it out a bit but ran out and in general have been a bit lazy in my routine for the first half of this year.

Today I purchased 5mg finasteride which I will be turning into 1/1.25mg tablets and adding that to my minoxidil which I've began taking again 2 times daily 95% of the time (occasionally forget). I've also been using Nizoral shampoo for most of 2014 and my scalp has felt great, although I don't know if it's really helped me all that much.

This is a picture from today, just a couple days after buzzing my head with the 1/16" guard. It largely looks the same as some of my previous pictures, and I'm not sure if that's due to plateauing or simply becoming lazy with my routine.

I'll try to remember to keep this posted in the coming weeks/months as I add finasteride to my routine and will make sure to note any serious side effects that I take note of.

8-5-14.jpg

So to be clear, my routine will consist of:

1x daily 1/1.25mg finasteride (haven't decided on dosage yet, but leaning toward 1mg to start)
2x daily Minoxidil 5% drops
3x weekly Nizoral shampoo
1x daily 10,000mcg Biotin

Best wishes and good luck to all.