Self-assessments Of Standardized Scalp Massages For Androgenetic Alopecia

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Standardize massage means what? Could anyone provide a video link that would explain it in detail?
@Mandar kumthekar

Full text:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13555-019-0281-6#Sec2

Excerpt...

The SSMs specified twice-daily, 20-min, hand-generated scalp massages spaced 12 h apart. SSM sessions were segmented into one of three rotational scalp regions (frontal/temporal, vertex, sides/back) and divided between hand presses, stretches, and pinches. SSM sessions were as follows: 3 min of warm-up (cyclical presses at 5–10 lb of downward force per hand across the entire scalp), followed by 17 min of region-specific tissue manipulation:
  • 6 min of scalp skin pinches: single-handed or double-handed pinches with grip spaced 1–2 inches apart, applying 5–10 lb of downward force per hand, and holding 1–2 s before moving onto adjacent scalp skin 1–2 inches from previous pinch;

• 6 min of scalp skin presses: knuckle- or palm-based skin presses applying 10–20 lb of downward force, firmly planting against and manipulating scalp skin for 1–2 s before moving onto adjacent scalp skin 1–2 inches from the previous press;

• 5 min of scalp skin stretches: single-handed or double-handed skin stretches with grip spaced 1–2 inches apart, applying firm but comfortable pressure and holding for 1–2 s before moving onto adjacent scalp skin 1–2 inches from previous stretch.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks bro. But 40 min a day is too much. I am doing same type of massage for 1 or 2 months now but not seeing any improvement. I think I should increase massage time a bit. Thanks again.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks bro. But 40 min a day is too much. I am doing same type of massage for 1 or 2 months now but not seeing any improvement. I think I should increase massage time a bit. Thanks again.

I do them when watching tv. I probably only average 10 minutes a day though.

So far only thing I've noticed is that my scalp has become more flexible. I can pinch it a lot easier now.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do them when watching tv. I probably only average 10 minutes a day though.

So far only thing I've noticed is that my scalp has become more flexible. I can pinch it a lot easier now.

When did you start ? It seems the results takes several months . Also it requires more time a day, however 40 min its pain in the *** to do every day :/

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you start ? It seems the results takes several months . Also it requires more time a day, however 40 min its pain in the *** to do every day :/

Have been doing it for about half a year.

I should note that my hairloss had pretty much halted already with minoxidil, nizoral and saw palmetto.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe the massages are helping too..
How do you take saw palmetto ?

I've been treating my hairloss for about 3 years with min, nizoral and saw palmetto, only added massages about 6 months ago as I started noticing some loss at the temples.

I take 400mg daily in capsule form. I took finasteride for few a weeks and got sides so decided on Saw Palmetto, which I never got sides from.

Read more about why I chose Saw Palmetto in my thread here.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...finasteride-studies-and-my-experience.101402/

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been treating my hairloss for about 3 years with min, nizoral and saw palmetto, only added massages about 6 months ago as I started noticing some loss at the temples.

I take 400mg daily in capsule form. I took finasteride for few a weeks and got sides so decided on Saw Palmetto, which I never got sides from.

Read more about why I chose Saw Palmetto in my thread here.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...finasteride-studies-and-my-experience.101402/

Thanks man , great info.
Im taking saw palmetto from 1 month, i read it has short half life so you need to take it multiple times a day, not sure if this is true.
Also i read a study which says the dht inihbition is dose dependent, so i dont know how much take.
Also my saw palmetto capsules says : 1200mg **
** ( equivalent from 100mg of 10:1 extract and 200 mg whole berry powder)
This means each capsule is 1200 or 100 mg of saw palmetto ?
Im taking 2 , one in the morning and other in the night.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man , great info.
Im taking saw palmetto from 1 month, i read it has short half life so you need to take it multiple times a day, not sure if this is true.
Also i read a study which says the dht inihbition is dose dependent, so i dont know how much take.
Also my saw palmetto capsules says : 1200mg **
** ( equivalent from 100mg of 10:1 extract and 200 mg whole berry powder)
This means each capsule is 1200 or 100 mg of saw palmetto ?
Im taking 2 , one in the morning and other in the night.

Make sure you check what percent are fatty acids and sterols. This is the important part, if it doesn't mention the percentage switch to a brand that dose. Mine is 90%.

This is very important if you want Saw Palmetto to work, as the fatty acids and sterols are what blocks DHT, there are scam Saw Palmetto products with a very low percentage of these.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check what percent are fatty acids and sterols. This is the important part, if it doesn't mention the percentage switch to a brand that dose. Mine is 90%.

This is very important if you want Saw Palmetto to work, as the fatty acids and sterols are what blocks DHT, there are scam Saw Palmetto products with a very low percentage of these.

Ok so i should change brand because there isnt any mention to fatty acids and sterols..

Can you explain me this : 1200mg saw palmetto **
** ( equivalen from 100mg of 10:1 extract and200 mg whole berry powder)

I dont understand if each capsule is 1200 mg or 100 of saw palmetto ?

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so i should change brand because there isnt any mention to fatty acids and sterols..

Can you explain me this : 1200mg saw palmetto **
** ( equivalen from 100mg of 10:1 extract and200 mg whole berry powder)

I dont understand if each capsule is 1200 mg or 100 of saw palmetto ?

I'm not sure I understand this to be honest, but I would get another brand.

https://examine.com/supplements/saw-palmetto/

>The fatty acids in question have the ability to block an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the latter of which is a more androgenic form and can cause hairloss in the genetically susceptible.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this to be honest, but I would get another brand.

https://examine.com/supplements/saw-palmetto/

>The fatty acids in question have the ability to block an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the latter of which is a more androgenic form and can cause hairloss in the genetically susceptible.

sh*t i think it means that each capsule is 100mg of saw palmetto extract and the study is done with 320mg. I was taking a lower dose all this time :(

sahak

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did scalp massage 40 min (20 min two times a day) during 6 manths and had no results. All these theories and hypotheses explain everything beautifully on paper but do not give any result in real life. Agree, if someone comes up with a cure more effective than Minoxidil, then we will be told about it by all sources of media.
I don't see any point in just waiting for a miracle, maybe we will organize ourselves and will offer pharmaceutical companies ideas for studying. There is no other way out, I can hardly hope that the medicine that for such a long time has not been able to come up with anything except to suggest people to become impotent, will be able to do something without our help.