Selenium dog fur study.........too little or too much bad...

michael barry

Reaction score
Selenium is a Prostaglandin D2 inhibitor, and in light of the Costarialis patent, I thought it would be interesting to view the effects on hair growth in some little in vivo test or another. It appears that either too little selenium or too much selenium is deleterious to hair. So a selenium sulfide shampoo used once or twice a week might be useful to hair. A salyicic acid shampoo might be useful in the same way since its upstream of all prostaglandins. However, some prostalgandins are purportedly good for hair and not bad for it.........................prostaglandin D2 apparently is for the most part bad, but some minimum level of it (hair follicles contain a PGD2 receptor) might be necessary-----who knows.

Titre du document / Document title
Primary hair growth in dogs depends on dietary selenium concentrations
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
YU S. ; WEDEKIND K. J. ; KIRK C. A. ; NACHREINER R. F. ;
Résumé / Abstract
Selenium (Se) plays an important role in hair growth. The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of dietary selenium concentration on hair growth in dogs. Thirty-six beagles were stratified into six groups based on age, gender and body condition score. The dogs were fed a torula yeast-based canned food for 3 weeks. Then the dogs were fed varying amounts of selenium supplied as selenomethionine for an additional 24 weeks. Analysed selenium concentrations in the experimental foods for the six groups were 0.04, 0.09, 0.12, 0.54, 1.03 and 5.04 mg/kg dry matter respectively. Body weight and food intake were not affected by the selenium treatments. Serum selenium concentration was similar Initially but was significantly different at the end of the study among groups. Dietary selenium concentration below 0.12 mg/kg diet may be marginal for an adult dog. Dietary treatment had no effect on serum total thyroxine (TT[4]), free thyroxine (FT[4]), and free 3,3',5-triiodothyronine (FT[3]). There was a significant diet and time interaction (p = 0.038) for total 3,3', triiodothyronine (TT[3]). Hair growth was similar among groups initially but significantly reduced in dogs fed diets containing 0.04, 0.09 or 5.04 mg Se/kg when compared with 0.12, 0.54 and 1.03 mg Se/kg at week 11 (p < 0.05) and week 22 (p = 0.061). These results demonstrated that both low and high selenium diets reduce hair growth in adult dogs.
Revue / Journal Title
Journal of animal physiology and animal nutrition (J. anim. physiol. anim. nutr.) ISSN 0931-2439
Source / Source
2006, vol. 90, no3-4, pp. 146-151 [6 page(s) (article)]
Langue / Language
Anglais
Revue : Multilingue
Editeur / Publisher
Blackwell, Berlin, ALLEMAGNE (1986) (Revue)

Localisation / Location
INIST-CNRS, Cote INIST : 768, 35400013553921.0060

Copyright 2007 INIST-CNRS. All rights reserved

michael barry

Reaction score
Scalpt,

What the study I posted said was basically that selenium was quite good for the dog fur if they got enough of it, but not too much of it.

There was a pretty large "sweet spot" that increased hair growth. My guess was that within certain parameters, selenium inhibits prostaglandin D2 formation enough to be beneficial. There are prostaglandin D2 receptors on a hair follicle though, and I ventured that perhaps some small uptake of PGD2 might be necessary? Or then again, perhaps like androgens, they aren't needed for head hair growth at all? Its conjecture..................

Maybe too much selenium is just plain toxic to all hair on body or head. Dog fur isn't human hair, but it is mammillain hair. Anything that could decrease androgen receptor signalling would seemingly be good for head hair to an extent. Its hard to say, but its something to think about.

tino

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Scalpt,

What the study I posted said was basically that selenium was quite good for the dog fur if they got enough of it, but not too much of it.

There was a pretty large "sweet spot" that increased hair growth. My guess was that within certain parameters, selenium inhibits prostaglandin D2 formation enough to be beneficial. There are prostaglandin D2 receptors on a hair follicle though, and I ventured that perhaps some small uptake of PGD2 might be necessary? Or then again, perhaps like androgens, they aren't needed for head hair growth at all? Its conjecture..................

Maybe too much selenium is just plain toxic to all hair on body or head. Dog fur isn't human hair, but it is mammillain hair. Anything that could decrease androgen receptor signalling would seemingly be good for head hair to an extent. Its hard to say, but its something to think about.

Hallo Michael

To much selenium is sure bad for hair,Skin and system.Everyone has his individual requirement.Chronic Ill people like autoimmune disturbed people,have a higher requirement.Smoker have lower selenium levels.In case of Androgenetic Alopecia,there is a proxidative burden in the follicle.Theoretical....it schuld be good for Androgenetic Alopecia,alternatively a level in the upper range.It helps to inhibit TGF-beta,and over this mechanism,it works antifibrotic.

In Case of selenium,i think its better to control the need for it,respectively the selenium level schuld not shoot to high under substitution.

A selenium deficiency,is sure not good for the skin.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1595 ... d_RVDocSum

The question is,if Androgenetic Alopecia affectet individuals,do need a higher level for protection of scalp skin.And if going below a limit of a a critical threshold level within the normal range could trigger Androgenetic Alopecia.

Dogs....respectively the investigated Dogs,had no proven Skin specific signs of oxidative stress,or signs in generally for this.

tino

scalpt

Reaction score
Well, the only effect that matters is what lets the hair grow. And toxicity, of course.

scalpt

Reaction score
Sorry Michael and everyone, I don't think I was very clear in my post. Seeing the antiandrogenic properties of selenium in the prostate studies is cause for hope. However, as Michael points out, there's good reason to think the selenium would have to be calibrated precisely. Being incredibly lazy, I would have preferred a topical that can be dumped on in any concentration ;)
Thanks for bringing the study up, Michael.

As the forum vets would probably point out, if any grand elixir existed, this forum probably wouldn't.

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't supplement selenium, but rather just eat more foods that are good sources of it, notably fish and shellfish.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
RAKBS said:
I wouldn't supplement selenium, but rather just eat more foods that are good sources of it, notably fish and shellfish.

Which happen to be very high in other toxic heavy metals ie mercury

tino

Established Member
Reaction score
Seeing the antiandrogenic properties of selenium in the prostate studies is cause for hope

as a matter of fact,there is some truth in some antiandrogenic properties for some Antioxidants.For example....N-Acetylcysteine(which also affects the glutathione dependet redox-system),decreased the FAI(free androgen index),in PCO-S Women.

It may so that Androgen receptor activity will be increased a little by coactivators like ROS.

But i dont think that the antiandrogenic properties of selenium,are the mean reason for possible working additional for male pattern baldness.There are some Animal and vitro Studys,which show that selenium can decrease TGF-beta, andogen independet over stimmulating glutathione peroxidase activity.And TGF-beta is something behind the androgen stimmulation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1702 ... d_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1499 ... d_RVDocSum

N-Acetylcystine,which works over related mechanisms,is much better investigated in his use fur fibrotic disorders.In Animals and Humans.It works additional synergetic whith selenium.

Tino

scalpt

Reaction score
I wonder if we're talking about a possible topical here. Is selenium safe enough to not do damage to hair? Also can it penetrate topically and work on the androgen receptor when applied to the scalp? Important questions, especially since the anti-androgenic properties were shown in prostate studies. How many things have worked anti-androgenically in prostate but not in scalp?

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
purecontrol said:
RAKBS said:

Vegetables have pesticides. Meat has carcinogens. Eggs have bacteria.

Why don't we just live off of oxygen? Oh wait, our air is polluted.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
RAKBS said:
purecontrol said:
RAKBS said:

Vegetables have pesticides. Meat has carcinogens. Eggs have bacteria.

Why don't we just live off of oxygen? Oh wait, our air is polluted.

Easy eat organic, but due consider this with your coment. They put warning lables and advisories for pregnant women to not eat tuna and ect

Oh and here is a government site do just that http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/admehg3.html

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/304_fish.html

And it is funny you mention the air, if you live in a large city they actually have smog alerts and will shut everything down because it is indeed dangerous to your health. Finally people that live in those large cities have the highest rates of lung cancer, asthma, ect ect

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
Pregnant women shouldn't eat too much tuna? =O

I better stop then. I wouldn't want to risk the health of the baby that I'm pregnant with currently.

In all seriousness: Nobody said you had to eat tuna every day. Also note that Alaskan salmon, which has one of the lowest mercury content of all, is also quite a good source of selenium.

You can also get selenium from whole grains and beef.

There are options. I just chose to mention seafood.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok let me put this into english for you, you don't want to replace one poison with another. Got it?

Further more the point is that there is enough murcery in there to have a large impact on your biological system, that is the last thing we need as that would cause more potential for hair loss.

Got it :woot:

CCS

Reaction score
Selsum Blue is a common shampoo with selenium in it. Why not use it once or twice a week, rotated in with Nizoral?

Anyone had success with that? It would be very cheap and easy. I will give it a go.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
Selsum Blue is a common shampoo with selenium in it. Why not use it once or twice a week, rotated in with Nizoral?

Anyone had success with that? It would be very cheap and easy. I will give it a go.
In our local pharmacy I get a shampoo called selsun... I'm not sure wether it helps for hair loss, however I had a mix of folliculitis / serboherr. dermatitis and it helped big time in terms of scalp health. I still use it every now and then.