Seems Like Too Much Hairloss For Genetics?

Sichka

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm male, 25y. I've been shedding hair for about 1.5years, that I have noticed at least. Been on Finasteride for 11 months. Minoxidil for about 1 month.

There certainly is male pattern boldness in the family, my two brothers and father started thinning early.

Me on the other hand has always had almost too thick hair, that I even complained about (if I only knew) but the past year and a half I've been shedding abnormal amount of hair and today it's really starting to show...

If I wet my hand and run it through my hair, I'll have my hand full of hair, repeat and it's the same. I must be losing 500+ of them per day.
I asked my brothers if they had the same, but the didn't really shedd hair like I am, they only just slowly lost and didn't regrow it.

I haven't really had a receding hairline, it's just thinning out rapidly because of the loss of hair constantly.

Are there any other possible reasons for my crazy hairloss other than genetic? I'm healthy otherwise, exercise daily, eat good.

If I would slowly lose it over the years I could accept it, but at this rate, a month or two and I'll have so crazy thin hair I don't know what I'll do...

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair loss is almost certainly male-pattern baldness, in which case it is almost entirely genetic. It seems strange that you'd have huge amounts of shedding after 11 months of being on finasteride. Maybe your loss is just super aggressive. If finasteride is not working well enough for you, you could consider switching to its stronger alternative, dutasteride.

hairlineiseverything

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation, very thick hair, thicker than brother, dad still NW1 but lost density and both grandfathers bald. I've been shedding for at least 1,5 year, maybe more. Been on finasteride for 6 weeks no changes

Sichka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair loss is almost certainly male-pattern baldness, in which case it is almost entirely genetic. It seems strange that you'd have huge amounts of shedding after 11 months of being on finasteride. Maybe your loss is just super aggressive. If finasteride is not working well enough for you, you could consider switching to its stronger alternative, dutasteride.
Yeah, I've been taking Dutasteride every third day now for week, I want to take every day but I can't get ahold of more than what I have for now. Hopefully it will slow down somewhat...

I'm in a similar situation, very thick hair, thicker than brother, dad still NW1 but lost density and both grandfathers bald. I've been shedding for at least 1,5 year, maybe more. Been on finasteride for 6 weeks no changes
6 weeks is a pretty short time tho, maybe you'll notice less shedding on a few months. But I've been on it for long enough to tell its not working at all... I'd be happy if the shedding just stopped a bit.
did your bros also use finasteride?

No, none of them used anything, or one did try minoxidil for a while I think but he had already lost too much

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm male, 25y. I've been shedding hair for about 1.5years, that I have noticed at least. Been on Finasteride for 11 months. Minoxidil for about 1 month.

There certainly is male pattern boldness in the family, my two brothers and father started thinning early.

Me on the other hand has always had almost too thick hair, that I even complained about (if I only knew) but the past year and a half I've been shedding abnormal amount of hair and today it's really starting to show...

If I wet my hand and run it through my hair, I'll have my hand full of hair, repeat and it's the same. I must be losing 500+ of them per day.
I asked my brothers if they had the same, but the didn't really shedd hair like I am, they only just slowly lost and didn't regrow it.

I haven't really had a receding hairline, it's just thinning out rapidly because of the loss of hair constantly.

Are there any other possible reasons for my crazy hairloss other than genetic? I'm healthy otherwise, exercise daily, eat good.

If I would slowly lose it over the years I could accept it, but at this rate, a month or two and I'll have so crazy thin hair I don't know what I'll do...
Unfortunately genetics works a mysterious way. The fact, that no one in your family is balding does not mean anything... I am the only one in my family who is balding. Grandfather #1 died with thick norwood 2, grandfather #2 has quite good nw0 in his 80s, cousins are all nw0. Uncle is nw0 and father is nw2,5 with awesome thickness in his 50s. Perfect hair genetics right? Nope... I was always nw1,5 and at 20 I was nw3. After some good results from big 3 (got to thick nw2)my body decided, that it wants me to be bald. Now thinning nw3,5 on topical finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral, oral finasteride and dutasteride every 3rd day..... Healthy diet, active lifestyle, yoga...
My balding head become quite a topic at one family dinner. Like how the hell am I balding if we have no relatives with baldness.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately genetics works a mysterious way. The fact, that no one in your family is balding does not mean anything... I am the only one in my family who is balding. Grandfather #1 died with thick norwood 2, grandfather #2 has quite good nw0 in his 80s, cousins are all nw0. Uncle is nw0 and father is nw2,5 with awesome thickness in his 50s. Perfect hair genetics right? Nope... I was always nw1,5 and at 20 I was nw3. After some good results from big 3 (got to thick nw2)my body decided, that it wants me to be bald. Now thinning nw3,5 on topical finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral, oral finasteride and dutasteride every 3rd day..... Healthy diet, active lifestyle, yoga...
My balding head become quite a topic at one family dinner. Like how the hell am I balding if we have no relatives with baldness.

Was your mailman bald? There is only one explanation in your case.

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was your mailman bald? There is only one explanation in your case.
Heh, no.:D I have almost identical face as my father, grandfather and great grand father.... Strong face genes in our male bloodline. Even my ancestor on a painting from the beginning of 19th century is kinda look a like.

IsThereHope

My Regimen
Reaction score
i feel you man, I am the only one balding in my family as well.
f*** it feels awful.

Texhnolyze

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Sichka
In the russian forum, people say that a increased hair shedding is associated with seborrheic dermatitis / mallasesiosis and not with male pattern baldness. They advise to try oral itraconazole (Sporanox). I do not know how right they are, I saw only one study that confirms this (try to google search "increased hair shedding ncbi").
I have the same problem as you and I take itraconazole for four days. No results yet