Seeing new hairs along my hairline/temples

G

I was on finasteride for month and a half, and now avodart for 2 months+, and i saw 3 new hairs on my right temple just now. at least i think they are new hairs. they are the same length as the rest of my hair and just as thick, but they are kind of off by themselves, about a quarter inch below my hairline, which makes me think they are regrowth. they're about an eighth of an inch apart and there are 3 of them. is this how regrowth started from finasteride/dutasteride for any of you? Nothing to report on my left temple so far- that's the one that's worse off.

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
From what I gather it isn't the temples which is the problem for you is it? But I suppose it's nice that you can achieve a proper hairline again anyway even if it wasn't your main aim.

My temples are thinning, on the left side of my crown I have approximetley 6 hairs left of my original hairline, only two of proper length, and the other 4 or so being about a cm or two long (and much thinner), although just after that I have another 12 hairs or so (again mostly thinner ones) before about a 1/4 of an inch in it gets thick again.

The right side is thin too, but I still have nearly all my hairs from my original hairline at proper length too, so I would say that side isn't quite as bad as the left

Tomorrow I'll be getting a prescription of both Minoxidil 5% and Proscar so I'm hoping to go along the same lines as you Jayman. Based on genetics it's really only the hairline I'm worried about and I'd like to feel that by only losing 3-4 months ago, I've attacked it quite early.

G

nah they're not really a problem. my main problem is being diffuse across the top, especially the front top.

i think you will have success at regaining most of your recent loss, but maybe not all. you could always get an hair transplant of like 500 grafts or so which wouldn't be too expensive and would prob fill your temples in.

G

Yes I had my girlfriend confirm it last night. I am getting regrowth all along my hairline and temples. Some hairs are very light vellus hairs which I hope will turn terminal, and some are thick terminal hairs coming in right below the hairline that are as thick as my other hair.

I have been on Avodart for 2 and a half months. I hope I get more before the year is up.

Edit: I wonder if these new hairs are from the finasteride i stopped using or the avodart. What do you guys think? I tried to take pics but they are small and my camera won't focus correctly.

I also buzzed my head to 1/8th of an inch yesterday but those new hairs in front are still 3/4th of an inch so very noticeable.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan wrote:
I wonder if these new hairs are from the finasteride i stopped using or the avodart. What do you guys think? I tried to take pics but they are small and my camera won't focus correctly.
It´s hard to tell, I have a similar problem pinpointing the effective drug out of my arsenal.
But in your case it might be de cocaine.

I also buzzed my head to 1/8th of an inch yesterday but those new hairs in front are still 3/4th of an inch so very noticeable.
Doesn’t it feel great?
Did you buzzed it to 1/8th all over your head?
I buzzed it to 1/8th on the sides & back, and to 1/4th on top. I don’t have the balls yet to do a 1/8th all over.

G

Doesn’t it feel great?
Did you buzzed it to 1/8th all over your head?
I buzzed it to 1/8th on the sides & back, and to 1/4th on top. I don’t have the balls yet to do a 1/8th all over.

Lol cocaine.

I buzzed it to 1/8th ALL over. Hairs grow different on the sides and back tahn on the top, which is why they generally say to leave it shorter on the back and sides, but I decided I didn't trust myself that much with the razor to do different lengths on different parts of my head. So, as a result, I can see a lot of scalp all over, but I can see more on the front part of the top. No one can tell that I'm balding at all at this length though because scalp can be seen over the head and I still have a relatively intact hairline with only a tiny bit of temple recession. I know because I asked my girlfriend if she could tell I was balding with it at 2 inches, and she said it was slightly noticeable in the back and front, but now with it at 1/8th of inch she says that no one could tell, and that she can't see any thinning any more at all. that's the benefit of a buzz cut-making the hair short all over and letting a lot of scalp show can almost entirely eliminate tthe appearance of balding on some people.

I'll get a better quality picture up later, but what do you think?

Above is my hair at 1/8th as of an hour ago.

Below is my hair at 1/2 of an inch 3 weeks ago:

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it looks fine on both pictures. You still have a lot of hair and hopefully, for many years to come.

I buzzed it all over to a 1/8th on Saturday.

Every time I buzz it to a shorter length I feel like I can see more scalp, but now I know it’s just the initial shock, and after a couple of days I get use to it. And everyone tells me it looks great.

I’ve also noticed that most people don’t even notice the difference between different lengths when it’s so short.

And yes, it’s easier and faster to buzz it all over with the same length. And, because I have low density all over my head, you can’t see that I’m thinner on top, and my newly grown, even thinner hair, looks much better.

SmileyFace

Reaction score
since you shaved your head, how has been peoples responses to it?

I am contemplating giving myself a close shave, I have never cut my hair very short before, so im a bit hesitant. I assume its not as bad as you would think it is.

G

SmileyFace said:
since you shaved your head, how has been peoples responses to it?

I am contemplating giving myself a close shave, I have never cut my hair very short before, so im a bit hesitant. I assume its not as bad as you would think it is.

peope have given me surprised looks because it is a big change going from 3 inch hair to hair half an inch or under, but everyone that knows im balding says they can't tell anymore and that it looks good on me.

i just like not having to worry about wind or rain making my hair look bad anymore. i'll try to grow it out again 4 or 5 months from now to see how my regrowth looks with longer hair.

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
nice job jayman. You have a nice shaped head which is key to the buzzed head.

G

ang_99 said:

thanks. nice job on the regrowth or on the nice shaped head? lol. i don't deserve credit for either because the head shape is genetic and the regrowth is due to the drug. all i do is pop it.

i urge everyone to talk to their doctor about avodart. it is much better than propecia.

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
ang_99 said:

thanks. nice job on the regrowth or on the nice shaped head? lol. i don't deserve credit for either because the head shape is genetic and the regrowth is due to the drug. all i do is pop it.

i urge everyone to talk to their doctor about avodart. it is much better than propecia.

Is there more side effect on the Duta than finasteride ?
I am just nervous to use something strong as Duta and without knowing all the negative it can do to your health (if any)

G

grabber said:
JayMan said:
ang_99 said:

I am just nervous to use something strong as Duta and without knowing all the negative it can do to your health (if any)

probably less negative then all that junk food, environment pollution or cigarettes can do to your health..... :roll:

G

grabber said:
JayMan said:
ang_99 said:

talk to your doctor. if he writes you a prescription for it then you're golden.

G

Seeing even more hairs today

Both my temples are now covered in light vellus hair, and I'm seeing even more terminal hairs coming on my hairline. I am seeing slightly more vellus hairs on the right temple because that's the one that's more receded. 2.5 months on Avodart. And I'm no longer shedding from anywhere. Even when I wet my hair I don't lose more than one or two. I love this drug.

G

Can you make good pics that show the new hairs on your hairline?

G

Taugenichts said:
Can you make good pics that show the new hairs on your hairline?

not yet unfortunately, because my camera can't focus in well enough on them. believe me i have tried, but they just come out blurry. hopefully in the next few months the whole sections will turn terminal and i'll be able to.

still_trying

Reaction score
Ray777 said:
Looks really good... I wouldn't think you were balding by those pics

nor would (no pun intended) most people. Slight diffuse thinning (maybe).. can't believe people put avodart into their bodies at that stage of hairloss.