Second Minoxidil Shed Or Just Further Loss?

Worriedbaldo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I originally had one pretty terrible rogaine shed, but my hair came back very thick and full shortly after and I didn’t worry about it for months, but now I’m faced with a problem almost 6 months into treatment.

I’ve been shedding hair AGAIN lately, probably for the past 3 or so weeks. My hair itches like crazy down my part line where I apply minoxidil, and it’s constantly shedding short one to two inch long hairs that seem plenty thick, and also thin really tiny wispy hair. When I say down the line of my part, I mean exclusively down the part as well. It is not super generalized thinning, it’s very strongly localized in that one line. I’ve also been shedding a few longer hairs, but very few as long as my normal hair length which is now almost 6 inches. Strangely, it actually doesn’t itch at all along the hairline where I put my minoxidil though, and my hairline looks like it’s still getting even thicker with many new hairs sprouting along the edge of it.

https://imgur.com/a/ljW1gjq
Here’s a picture of my hair wet and combed forward. You can see exactly where it’s thinning in practically a straight line, which is exactly the line where I apply minoxidil. Edit: There was actually no thinning it this spot before I started minoxidil.

If it matters, I had a fungal infection on my scalp about a month and a half ago that I used ketoconazole for two weeks to cure. Idk if it really went away because the itching never did, but there are no more red pimple-like bumps on my head so I assume it’s gone. I never went back to the doctor to check up on it

I just want to know, is this a normal minoxidil shed or is my balding too strong and finally overpowering me? Do you think it will come back thicker again?

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe minoxidil thinned my hair, there is a thread here of some guy that had more hair after 7 months of stopping minoxidil. Im currently taking finasteride and stopped using minoxidil precisely because i thought it was making my hair worse(plus side effects) wish i never started it. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...mazing-regrowth-after-7-months-without.95059/

This opinion is in the minority though, most would consider finasteride and minoxidil as the key to battling baldness, your hair doesn't look that bad though dude.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil can cause periodic sheds. It is also getting warmer so anyone who has hair is shedding a lot more. If you are noticing itching then perhaps switching to the foam can help alleviate it since there is less 'spill over' to other areas of the head.

Worriedbaldo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I actually already made the switch to the foam it doesn’t really help the itch though.

Would you say that that strangle defined line of thinning is due to the minoxidil? I forgot to mention that at baseline, there was no line of thinning there.

Also @Retinoid what did you mean about minoxidil causing periodic sheds? I originally thought minoxidil sheds happened only once?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I actually already made the switch to the foam it doesn’t really help the itch though.

Would you say that that strangle defined line of thinning is due to the minoxidil? I forgot to mention that at baseline, there was no line of thinning there.

Also @Retinoid what did you mean about minoxidil causing periodic sheds? I originally thought minoxidil sheds happened only once?

When I used Minoxidil for 6 months and it filled my crown in I feel I was always shedding...I am also shedding a lot again. Like A LOT this time, but I am also doing intense head massages which I am sure is contributing.

Worriedbaldo

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I used Minoxidil for 6 months and it filled my crown in I feel I was always shedding...I am also shedding a lot again. Like A LOT this time, but I am also doing intense head massages which I am sure is contributing.
Did your sheds ever result in noticeable loss of density like mine?