Sebaceous glands larger in balding area

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have access to this study, but according to the abstract, sebaceous glands are larger in the balding area than on the back of the head.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24446778

Morphological and morphometric study of the androgenetic alopecic scalp using two- and three-dimensional analysis comparing regional differences.

Kim JN, Lee JY, Shin KJ, Gil YC, Koh KS, Song WC.

Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Androgenetic (male-type) alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is caused by genetic and androgenetic effects. The progression of baldness results in smaller hair papillae, thinner hair, and a shortened hair cycle. Alopecia occurs mainly in the frontal region, and to a lesser extent in the occipital region.

OBJECTIVE:

The morphological differences in the hair follicular units between the alopecic frontal scalp and the vertex and occipital regions were compared using cross-sectional histology and three-dimensional reconstruction.

METHODS:

Skin specimens were obtained from the frontal, vertex, and occipital regions of 24 male human cadavers with fully progressed Androgenetic Alopecia, and from the frontal region of 32 normal cadaveric scalps. These specimens were fixed, processed using routine histological methods, serially sectioned at a thickness of 10 μm, and then stained with Masson's trichrome. The serial sections were reconstructed in three dimensions using a computer program.

RESULTS:

The ratios between the numbers of terminal and vellus hairs in the frontal and occipital regions in the Androgenetic Alopecia scalps were 0.2:1 and 3.5:1, respectively. Almost all of the hair follicles in the frontal region were vellus hair follicles. The sebaceous gland and arrector pili muscle were larger in the frontal region than the occipital region.

CONCLUSION:

The morphology of the Androgenetic Alopecia scalp has been characterized. The terminal-to-vellus hair ratio in the occipital (normal) region was opposite that in the frontal (alopecic) region. Moreover, sebaceous glands were larger in the frontal alopecic region than in the occipital region. These larger glands may be associated with other dermatologic pathologies such as seborrheic dermatitis. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for this recent study, any can acces at the full study? I am very interested

maher

Banned
Reaction score
i always wondered why there aren't more researches on cadavers. sebaceous glands are larger because of SD and chronic inflammation but i dont think hair falls out coz of enlarged glands.

useless study :unsure: what about fibrotic tissue??

ffs: "This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved."

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
i always wondered why there aren't more researches on cadavers. sebaceous glands are larger because of SD and chronic inflammation but i dont think hair falls out coz of enlarged glands.

useless study :unsure: what about fibrotic tissue??

ffs: "This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved."

so ALL baldies have SD and NO NW1 have SD? SD only affects the balding area? SD also enlarges the arrector pili muscle?

I agree that more research should be done on dead dudes hair.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
they focused on wrong issues! these are all secondary, "cosmetic" changes..irrelevant.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I agree this may prove to be useless. Right now it would be premature to opine that this article is entirely useless without closer examination.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
they focused on wrong issues! these are all secondary, "cosmetic" changes..irrelevant.

Could you please show me a link that proves that an enlarged sebaceous gland and enlarged arrector pili muscle are secondary "cosmetic changes".
What is "it", that after we lose our hair, that causes our sebaceous glands to enlarge as well as our arrector pili muscle?

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Could you please show me a link that proves that an enlarged sebaceous gland and enlarged arrector pili muscle are secondary "cosmetic changes".
What is "it", that after we lose our hair, that causes our sebaceous glands to enlarge as well as our arrector pili muscle?

dont have time for your ****. this is some basic stuff. use wikipedia.