Seasons affecting hairloss....truth or BS?

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been taking propecia..for a year, now on dutasteride for the last six months.

When I first started losing my hair it was a constant, ongoing thing, however, since I started treating it I get a clock work rotation of regrowth and shedding. Three or four months of growth....three, four months of shedding.

I posted my findings a couple of weeks ago and someone responded with an article that described the changing of the seasons as a possible reason. Has anyone else heard of this?

During the summer months I experience regrowth and virutually zero shedding...when autumn arrives...my hair begins to shed. In december/ january I stop shedding for a few months and in spring I shed again.

I am still shedding now, but it seems to be slowing down. Any help would be cool 8)

Mikey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have heard people saying that you lose more hair the winter months and grow more in the summer months yes.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Mike2003 said:
I have heard people saying that you lose more hair the winter months and grow more in the summer months yes.

I believe I read that also, summer is the best time because your hair grows faster during this time. Fall is generally the period of greatest shedding especially during november. I think I read that on the HairLossTalk.com FAQ's and on another hairloss board.

Stingray

Reaction score
Humans are animals and have sheds and growth cycles like animals.

rahezy

Reaction score
I never really noticed when I shed and grew but I has a really big shed last month(Nov) and now things have calmed down. How long before I can expect to grow again? This last shed left me hurting a bit. I can see about a half inch into my scalp from the hairline. I've never had that before. :(

ShedMaster

Reaction score
rahezy said:
I never really noticed when I shed and grew but I has a really big shed last month(Nov) and now things have calmed down. How long before I can expect to grow again? This last shed left me hurting a bit. I can see about a half inch into my scalp from the hairline. I've never had that before. :(

Honestly I don't know, everyone is different.. however, you really have to ride out sheds because they are normal on these treatments. Its hard but you just have to convince yourself that it will get worse before it gets better. Many people quit when they get bad sheds before the chemicals have a chance to really work. Stick with it.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
Im the opposite, my hair seems to shed less in the winter and also get darker and thicker....

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
wow, this is odd. i go through HUGE sheds during late fall/winter seasons.

hopewas

Reaction score
you know, it's weird....there's a time when my hair was real thin and it was close to being noticible during the fall, but now it's thick again.. i don't get it,...one day it's thick, the next day it's not. it's like my hair is f*****g with me....anyways, in the last 3 winters i've always thought that in the next winter my thinning would become noticible..it hasn't yet. here's hoping that it isn't noticible next winter

believer

Reaction score
shedding

Yeh some days my hair looks sh*t and really thin and other days it looks great its weird how it changes from one day to another

Dave03

Reaction score
I've been noticing shedding since around Thanksgiving through now, so I would buy the winter theory, since I didnt shed much at all in the summer/early fall.

StoneCold316

Reaction score
My hair stylist said the same thing..namely hair grows faster in the summer months. I believe there is some truth to that.

Keep the faith fellas!

And thats the bottom line....

Bob Booley

Established Member
Reaction score
there are so many bullshit excuses for hairloss, it's UNREAL.

hats, weather, food, the sun, blah blah BLAH f-in BLAH.

HAIRLOSS IS CAUSED BY GENETEICS

IT'S CALLED MALE PATTERN BALDNESS

any other types of hairloss are TEMPORARY and grow back once the situation is solved (stress, nutrition, etc etc etc)

JUST FACE THE MUSIC BOYS

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Noone is saying that the fall months cause hairloss. They are saying that during these months your hair usually doesn't grow as fast as during summer. Shedding is also more prevalant during this time. But thanks for your analysis, doctor. :doh:

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
During the summer months I experience regrowth and virutually zero shedding...when autumn arrives...my hair begins to shed.

Hair tends to grow faster during the summer months, and in hotter weather. Shedding increases during the Winter months in a typical climate. Seasonal factors do play a part for certain, as do treatments such as minoxidil & fina (possibly others too).

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
sh*t, hairloss is caused from genetics... I had no idea, I thought i was poppin finasteride for my stress.....Thanks booley always informative...

KO_thomas

Reaction score
Lizzad said:
Hair tends to grow faster during the summer months, and in hotter weather.

So if I moved to a tropical climate, my hair would grow faster year round, and not shed anymore?