Seasonal Balding? Diffuse Thinning Almost Exclusively In Summer

Tk4240838

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 24 year male who is noticing increased hair loss (not shedding; it does not grow back) during summer. I looked at a lot of sites and forums but I can't seem to find anyone with similar patterns (increased diffuse thinking during the summer that does not grow back)
I have read about seasonal hair loss, but I do not notice an increased rate of hair loss during the winter as I do in the summer.
I have been taking generic finasteride 1mg since September 2017 but around the beginning of May 2018 I have noticed an increase in hair fall again, as I have been for the past 3 years.
Does anyone else notice anything like this for themselves?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I and other people I know shed a lot more in the summer...how do you know it does not grow back? Like, did you pinpoint multiple spots where the follicles were that feel due to the seasonal change and saw in a year there was no follicle there?

Tk4240838

My Regimen
Reaction score
I and other people I know shed a lot more in the summer...how do you know it does not grow back? Like, did you pinpoint multiple spots where the follicles were that feel due to the seasonal change and saw in a year there was no follicle there?

No, it's just that I definitely have less hair than before all over the top of my head in general. I notice significantly more hair fall in summer so I assumed that I'm losing most of it during the summer.

Tk4240838

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is Telogen Effluvium possible while taking finasteride? Perhaps your hair is in a extended Anagen growth cycle due to treatments up until summer. If you were a diffuse thinner prior, maye the dosage of finasteride is not enough, I wouldn't know for certain.
I don't think it's Telogen Effluvium; nothing in my life changed drastically enough to cause it. Actually I was hospitalized for kidney failure which might explain some Telogen Effluvium, but it's been three years and hair loss still continues every summer, which isn't characteristic of Telogen Effluvium caused by stress or injury or illness. I havent used new medication that might have affected my hormones nor have gotten pregnant to my knowledge... And my diet hasn't drastically changed nor changes during the summer

Tk4240838

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started taking Fina last autumn cuz the summer hair loss twice in a row kinda freaked me out. But the same pattern is happening again so I guess Fina isn't working for me yet. I heard it takes up to a year so I'll keep trying it though.
No minoxidil nor vitamins. Any recommendations?

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started taking Fina last autumn cuz the summer hair loss twice in a row kinda freaked me out. But the same pattern is happening again so I guess Fina isn't working for me yet. I heard it takes up to a year so I'll keep trying it though.
No minoxidil nor vitamins. Any recommendations?

Just wait, at least a year. I had some good results from fina after 12 months but it became even better after 2 years. Then it all went downhill...

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that took a somber turn. What happened? The effectiveness just wore off over time?

Yeah I guess. It was like first 2 years amazing hair, thought I won’t have to worry about my hairloss until I won’t care about my hair anymore, then 2-6 years maintaning, maybe losing a little bit but nothing dramatic, then after 6 years after my first finasteride pill hairloss just exploded, itch started again like it was before I started Propecia. In 7 years I probably forgot 10 pills and always got it from Merck and local pharmacy. God, that was a rude awakening from this f*****g disease.

dginoob

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have had very similar experiences. I first started taking finasteride and minoxidil in September. At the time I had quite bad diffuse loss. Over the first few months I had very good results with a lot of regrowth, then in around summer time I noticed my hair thinning quite rapidly again. I stuck to my regimen and over the winter months my hair did get noticeably better. Now, this year over the past 2 months I again am experiencing a lot of loss.

I should also point out that I moved to a much hotter country (Thailand), than my home country (northern UK) in 2014. Before moving here I had, as far as I could tell a thick wavy head of hair without any noticeable loss.

I really hope I do get more growth in the winter months, but there is no real winter here. It's never 'cold'.

Tk4240838

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have had very similar experiences. I first started taking finasteride and minoxidil in September. At the time I had quite bad diffuse loss. Over the first few months I had very good results with a lot of regrowth, then in around summer time I noticed my hair thinning quite rapidly again. I stuck to my regimen and over the winter months my hair did get noticeably better. Now, this year over the past 2 months I again am experiencing a lot of loss.

I should also point out that I moved to a much hotter country (Thailand), than my home country (northern UK) in 2014. Before moving here I had, as far as I could tell a thick wavy head of hair without any noticeable loss.

I really hope I do get more growth in the winter months, but there is no real winter here. It's never 'cold'.

Oh that's the same with me, I moved to a hot and humid area of Japan from Illinois, USA. Seems the common factor is the heat and humidity. I wonder if that's a cause of thinning? But I've never heard anything about that. Have you read anything about some thinners having a disposition to lose hair in heat and humid environments?

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Imo the heat and humidity cause your sweat glands to work harder...well guess what is in them good ol sweat glands? Yep, Mr dht himself and he is coming out to play!