Sea's Story - (35 /losing hair very fast!)

Sea

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on this site!
I'm not on any hairloss treatment right now but I'm looking for some advice. I've been losing hair a lot on the frontal and top part of my head. It's getting thinner as the weeks go by, to a point where I need to put something to cover my head to hide my hairloss. I'm a 35 years old woman, I've been dealing with hypothyroidism for the past 14 years but it is well controlled. I never had children and I'm no longer on birth control pills. No women in my family had to deal with hairloss. I'm very concerned because within 2 months, I can see a huge progression in the thinning. My doctor doesn't take it seriously, he just say that it is age and provide no explanation in term of hormonal unbalance or other possible causes. I think that I'm a bit too young for having to deal with age or menopause related problems. Can you please advice me! I'm not losing small patches of hair, it's just going extremely thin all at once! Thanks!

pixiedust

Reaction score
Hi Sea,

I also started losing my hair at 35, I empathize with you. Since you're dealing with hypothyroidism I would consider supplementing your diet with Evening Primrose Oil capsules which provide GLA. Several studies have shown it beneficial for hair loss related to thyroid. Nizoral 1% shampoo helps decrease shedding and acts like a mild anti-androgen, and it's wonderfully soothing if you have an itchy inflamed scalp. I found the 2% pretty harsh and it stripped my hair color so I prefer the 1%.
Also, how long have you discontinued your BCP's? Hair loss is unfortunately a normal side-effect of BCP discontinuation. I'm currently on Yasmin which has a type of progesterose which is also an anti-androgen. I switched pills this past summer to try reducing the estrogen and 2 months later experienced a major hair shed - I quickly went back to my Yasmin BCP; things settled down a couple of months later and the hair I lost is starting to grow back.
If you're looking to go down the meds route our best bet (for women) is minoxidil - I'm currently using the 5% liquid, once a day before bed, for the past 2 years. I've managed to maintain my hair pretty good, and have had a little regrowth. The hardest place to regrow is the front top right behind my bangs (hairline). But further back from the hairline has responded quite well. As for side effects of minoxidil I have very little excess body hair growth. Mostly near the temples, and nothing that a facial wax strip done every few months can't get rid of :)

good luck! pixie

Sea

Reaction score
pixiedust said:
Hi Sea,

I also started losing my hair at 35, I empathize with you. Since you're dealing with hypothyroidism I would consider supplementing your diet with Evening Primrose Oil capsules which provide GLA. Several studies have shown it beneficial for hair loss related to thyroid. Nizoral 1% shampoo helps decrease shedding and acts like a mild anti-androgen, and it's wonderfully soothing if you have an itchy inflamed scalp. I found the 2% pretty harsh and it stripped my hair color so I prefer the 1%.
Also, how long have you discontinued your BCP's? Hair loss is unfortunately a normal side-effect of BCP discontinuation. I'm currently on Yasmin which has a type of progesterose which is also an anti-androgen. I switched pills this past summer to try reducing the estrogen and 2 months later experienced a major hair shed - I quickly went back to my Yasmin BCP; things settled down a couple of months later and the hair I lost is starting to grow back.
If you're looking to go down the meds route our best bet (for women) is minoxidil - I'm currently using the 5% liquid, once a day before bed, for the past 2 years. I've managed to maintain my hair pretty good, and have had a little regrowth. The hardest place to regrow is the front top right behind my bangs (hairline). But further back from the hairline has responded quite well. As for side effects of minoxidil I have very little excess body hair growth. Mostly near the temples, and nothing that a facial wax strip done every few months can't get rid of :)

good luck! pixie

Dear Pixie,

Thank you so much for your advice and sorry for my late reply! I will try what you are suggesting. I will meet with a new doctor in a few weeks so I can talk to him about Minoxidil 5%. I've been off the BCP for about 3 months now but the hair loss started before that.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my message!

Cheers!
Sea