sdavis' story

sdavis

Reaction score
Well, I have been coming on this site for about 6 week's now and im glad I found it. I just got registered and want to tell my story to see who out there is going through the same thing or did, so I know what to expect. Im 24 I first started to notice my hair receding at the temples when I was about 19.5. It was not that bad but I could tell. I felt I could live with it as long as the front of my hairline stayed strong but it didn't. By the time I was 20 the very front of my hair started to get thin. Not the whole hairline just the very front in the middle of my forehead. It was not that noticeable but it was getting worse. Well, now at 24 my whole hairline is thin and in bright light or when it gets wet it looks bad. I cant stand it and I always look at people of all ages and the first thing I do is look at there hair and think how lucky they are to have good hair. I try to tell my girlfriend that im going bald but she thinks im crazy and that I just have thin hair but trust me im losing it. Both sides of my family have bald guys my dad was the only one to have hair and he had a lot until he passed away at 55. My moms brother was bald by 20 so I think im screwed. So I guess I need to start the main 3 that everyone talks about.

So I just want to know if anyone around my age has the same hair loss that said or if they did when they where around my age so I know how bad it gets. Also is propecia and provcar the same what is better any suggestions? I will be getting some pics up by the end of the week.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome
At your age I would suggest taking a very low dose of finasteride, as the full 1mg (propecia) is not necessarily necessary. I get Proscar on prescription in the uk and cut it into 5 with a pill cutter.
However, I would suggest getting a laser comb, not necessarily the HairMax, which is expensive. There are cheaper versions around, but you need to do your homework. I was bald for 20 years, so it took alot of hard work to get some of my hair back, so you should be able to achieve more with less effort.
That is my opening advice. Good luck with all the other advice, I hope, other members will offer.
Boru

Britannia

Reaction score
Propecia = 1mg of Finasteride. This is the dosgae required to treat hairloss.
Proscar = 5mg of Finasteride. So you need to chop a Proscar pill into 5ths in order to get the correct dosage.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Britannia said:
Proscar = 5mg of Finasteride. So you need to chop a Proscar pill into 5ths in order to get the correct dosage.

The good news is that 1mg is the maximum optimum dose, however lower doses of 0.1mg may have good effect in some cases. However, the right dose will be personal. I recommend taking an antacid tablet half an hour beforehand, to reduce the effect of stomach acid on the passage of finasteride. This seems to be working for me.
Boru

Britannia

Reaction score
Boru said:
Britannia said:

The good news is that 1mg is the maximum optimum dose, however lower doses of 0.1mg may have good effect in some cases. However, the right dose will be personal. I recommend taking an antacid tablet half an hour beforehand, to reduce the effect of stomach acid on the passage of finasteride. This seems to be working for me.
Boru

Theres no need to do this. Nearly all medications are designed to efficently breakdown and be absorbed in normal circumstances. I think you could in fact hinder the absorption of finasteride if anything, by taking an antacid.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
MM? I'm no gastroexpert, but I have to take anacid for a hernia, so it isn't doing any harm as far as I can see. Thanks anyhow, I will ask my doctor for feedback on this point. Good luck.
Boru