SCUBE3 identified as possible therapeutic treatment for androgenetic alopecia

Reaction score

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like our "treatment that won't get anywhere" of the week.
I'm not so sure about that. This looks like interesting info to me.

I wonder if we could easily get our hands on SCUBE3 since it's obviously something that's already in our bodies.

At minimum SCUB3 looks like it *might* be something that *might* protect the hair we get from cell treatments. Posters have said that even after we get our hair back from some cell treatment like Stemson we could later lose that new hair due to our own androgens. Well, a topical SCUB3 might protect the new hair we get from Stemson for a long, long time.

I think it's interesting enough that I might try to reach out to Stemson to inform them they might not need to waste time/resources trying to figure out a way to make changes to the inner workings of cells in order to protect future "stemson hairs" from the androgens that will still be streaming through our bodies. Minoxidil, Finasteride, and Dutasteride aren't universally reliable for maintaining hair + they have disturbing side effects.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. This looks like interesting info to me.

I wonder if we could easily get our hands on SCUBE3 since it's obviously something that's already in our bodies.

At minimum SCUB3 looks like it *might* be something that *might* protect the hair we get from cell treatments. Posters have said that even after we get our hair back from some cell treatment like Stemson we could later lose that new hair due to our own androgens, but something like a topical SCUB3 might protect the new hair we get from Stemson for a long, long time.

I actually think SCUBE3, or something like it, might help us a lot. As a matter of fact, I think it's so interesting that I might try to reach out to Stemson to let them know they might not need to waste time/resources trying to figure out a way to make changes to cells in order to protect future stemson hairs from the androgens in our bodies. Minoxidil and Finasteride and Dutasteride aren't reliable + they have disturbing side effects.
If you were going to use exogenous proteins just use r-spondin2, you'll be cured. That is if you don't get a bcc. I'm interested in the patent for this to see what molecule they are using to target it. I think it's premature to be contacting Stemson lol

dahman

My Regimen
Reaction score
SCUBE3 is an endogenous TGF-β receptor ligand and regulates the epithelial-mesenchymal transition in lung cancer

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you were going to use exogenous proteins just use r-spondin2, you'll be cured. That is if you don't get a bcc. I'm interested in the patent for this to see what molecule they are using to target it. I think it's premature to be contacting Stemson lol
But one thing is that Stemson is planning to put time into trying to figure out a way to protect new Stemson hairs from our androgens. This stuff might be a solution to that problem and a solution to that problem *might* possibly speed up the Stemson timeline to clinical trials. For all we know this very issue could be what's making Stemson's pig trials take so much time.

You're right that it's too early to contact Stemson about this but it's also too early to think that SCUBE3 is useless to us.

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
SCUBE3 is an endogenous TGF-β receptor ligand and regulates the epithelial-mesenchymal transition in lung cancer

Does this mean that SCUBE3 could be a carcinogen?

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is a bcc?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
But one thing is that Stemson is planning to put time into trying to figure out a way to protect new Stemson hairs from our androgens. This stuff might be a solution to that problem, a solution to that problem *might" possibly speed up the Stemson timeline to clinical trials.
I don't think that part will take Stemson any time at all. Even if it took them a year that would be better than having to apply a compound to your head every day for the rest of your life, that may or may not work. More than likely this compound won't prevent hair loss by itself, but it's interesting in that it could complement other drugs. This is one factor modulated by Hh signaling. Many people have used Hh agonists and while they work well they are not a cure by themselves. Perhaps if they could be used continuously without safety concerns.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is really interesting here. These SMAD proteins are critical for maintaining hair growth. SCUBE3 upregulates them 2-fold.
1-s2.0-S0002929720304122-gr6.jpg

People born with SCUBE3 variants that inhibit BMP activity do have a lot of hair, but it is said to be sparse and brittle.
1-s2.0-S0002929720304122-gr1.jpg

Last edited:

dahman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hedgehog signaling reprograms hair follicle niche
fibroblasts to a hyper-activated state

"At the same time, our results suggest an exciting possibility that clinically desirable HF neogenesis in unwounded skin can be, in principle, achieved with only dermal Hedgehog activation, which
would bypass tumorigenic potential associated with epithelial
Hedgehog activation (Atwood et al., 2013; Fan et al., 1997)."

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hedgehog signaling reprograms hair follicle niche
fibroblasts to a hyper-activated state

"At the same time, our results suggest an exciting possibility that clinically desirable HF neogenesis in unwounded skin can be, in principle, achieved with only dermal Hedgehog activation, which
would bypass tumorigenic potential associated with epithelial
Hedgehog activation (Atwood et al., 2013; Fan et al., 1997)."
This doesn't replicate Hh signaling though. It's just one of the Shh target genes that promote neogenesis

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definetely very interesting pathway, it looks complicated that it won't be harmful for health though. It is simply mind-blowing all the pathways involved in Androgenetic Alopecia, how the f*** did we evolve like this and what for.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
UCI has filed a provisional patent application for the use of SCUBE3 and its related molecular compounds for the stimulation of hair growth. Further research will be conducted in the Plikus lab and at Amplifica Holdings Group Inc., a biotechnology company co-founded by Plikus.

Oh wait, so the guy behind the mole thing is the same person behind researching this pathway for hair loss. Interesting. Is that how he found the SCUBE3 connection? (via inspecting hairy moles)

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible to get SCUBE3 early or do we need to wait for it to go through all of the studies?

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think Plikus is pretty communicative, wouldn't surprise me if he answers our emails if we have any doubts. I know he is communicative with WRassman and Folliclethought and I recall seeing him answer stuff on reddit