Screw male pattern baldness , 7 months on minoxidil and still no regrowth !!

Hellboy

Reaction score
Hello every1 ,
I'm a long time reader , first time poster. My experience with mioxidil is very similar to "nostromo" and " southernstarter"s.
I have been on a generic brand of minoxidil 5 % since January 22nd ,2006.
So that's like 5 months and 1 week , I have also used Fungarest(ketoconazol) 2 % since then. I started experiencing some shedding since the 2nd week of mioxidil , it has slown down a bit after about 3 months but never really stopped ! I am a Norwood 1.5 , I haven't taken pics though my male pattern baldness looks close to southernstarter's
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=27200
Only thing 100 % sure is I still shed ( or lose) hair everywhere Minoxidil gets further rubbed on my scalp. Now come on don't tell me about the usual minoxidil shed because I've read 90% of the threads on this forum and most say it's the 100 days telogen phase. I've had a minimal regrowth at the front but most are just vellus weak hair that will probably never grow mature. I have hair growing everywhere on my body except where I want to. I have severe dandruff and flakes ( Nizoral doesn't seem to be of any help here and neither T-gel( Salysilic acid) that I dropped later).
I think Minoxidil has only made my male pattern baldness worse and I may very well consider stopping it after a month or two. What do you guys think ? any feed will be appreciated.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
You only have 7 more months at least to see if it works or not.

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Joe.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
maybe u shud get on a dht inhibitor - propecia.

Hellboy

Reaction score
westcovinajoe said:
You only have 7 more months at least to see if it works or not.

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Joe.
What ?? 7 goddamn months ! that makes more than a year on Minoxidil for me. If that's true ,why do most people say you begin to see results in 3 months ? or is it more or less like this : 3 months shedding-3 months follicle restructure-3months new hair shafts are born - and then wait for them to become visible ? That takes more than a year I guess. But that's not the problem , If only I could maintain , that'l be fine , but I realise I still shed hair anywhere I put minoxidil. I'm freaking out !!.

ANDREW_J_I said:
maybe u shud get on a dht inhibitor - propecia.

I wish I could , but for 2 reasons no.
I can't afford it yet.
I don't want my sex drive down.

powersam

Reaction score
some see results very quickly while others have to wait a long time. one poster on this forum started seeing amazing results in the 13th month of treatment. joe is exactly right, you should give a treatment a year to work before you make any decisions about it.

i think there are a few threads on this forum about how to alleviate shedding, try the search function and you may find some. or people might give you some tips in this thread.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hellboy said:
I wish I could , but for 2 reasons no.
I can't afford it yet.
I don't want my sex drive down.

Cool name by the way... As for money, you can always get generics. As for sex drive, dude, a lot of people don't have anything wrong with their sex life. I mean I'm horny as hell all the time and so happy that I started Propecia. My thinning has almost stopped completely. No regrowth yet, but I'm hoping that something will start sometime in the future.

Hellboy

Reaction score
Primex said:
Cool name by the way... As for money, you can always get generics. As for sex drive, dude, a lot of people don't have anything wrong with their sex life. I mean I'm horny as hell all the time and so happy that I started Propecia. My thinning has almost stopped completely. No regrowth yet, but I'm hoping that something will start sometime in the future.

I can find generic minoxidil but not generic propecia. I live in Ceuta !
Concerning sex drive failure , it's definitly coming to all Finasteride users sooner or later. You haven't noticed any decrease because you're only 2 months on propecia and it takes atleast 3 months for it to stabilize levels in blood stream. Not only does it affect sex drive but health in general as normal DHT levels is essencial for maintaining a good health in males.

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
Hellboy said:
You haven't noticed any decrease because you're only 2 months on propecia and it takes atleast 3 months for it to stabilize levels in blood stream. Not only does it affect sex drive but health in general as normal DHT levels is essencial for maintaining a good health in males.

Do you have any citations for those claims?

Ceuta, talk about the middle of nowhere. Damn. At least you're close to Morocco. I bet you can buy almost anything in Morocco, why not take a weekend trip there and stock up on generics?

Hellboy

Reaction score
the_swami said:

No quote here mate , it's believed to be general truth and I believe I saw an article about it somewhere on these forums.
the_swami said:
Ceuta, talk about the middle of nowhere. Damn. At least you're close to Morocco. I bet you can buy almost anything in Morocco, why not take a weekend trip there and stock up on generics?
Actually I bought my first minoxidil bottle in (tetouan )Morocco. It was a brand name ( Neoxidil 5% 80 ml) for about 25$. Later I started buying generic solutions for like 9 $ ( a 250 ml bottle ). It's like 3 times cheaper and 3 times more supply ! Don't know about generic propecia though.

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
were u still shedding before u started minoxidil?

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
2 weeks into minoxidil not even, i notice a huge peach fuzz on both templeS!!!!!! :hairy: is this too early?

Hellboy

Reaction score
7 months update !

Sad news , no regrowth or even maintenance on minoxidil and I've been using this sh*t for over 7 months now. Most of the peach fuzz will never make it into terminal. Finally ,I've just realized that minoxidil is more of a hair strengthning product than a hairloss treatment. Unfortunately , Propecia seems to be really necessary here. I'll consider adding it to my reg soon.

agent_sam

Reaction score
the_swami said:
Hellboy said:
You haven't noticed any decrease because you're only 2 months on propecia and it takes atleast 3 months for it to stabilize levels in blood stream. Not only does it affect sex drive but health in general as normal DHT levels is essencial for maintaining a good health in males.

hellboy i agree with you there mate, i wont kill my DHT just to have hair, or maintain hair, minoxidil and hair transplants but no oral DHT killers for me 8)

Hellboy

Reaction score
agent_sam said:
hellboy i agree with you there mate, i wont kill my DHT just to have hair, or maintain hair, minoxidil and hair transplants but no oral DHT killers for me 8)

Right mate , unfortunately it seems that you can't count on minoxidil alone here and propecia is REALLY necessary for maintenance. I'm already bothered with minoxidil's side effects ( body hair , water retention , depression ) I can't just afford more inconveniences.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hellboy said:
agent_sam said:

Right mate , unfortunately it seems that you can't count on minoxidil alone here and propecia is REALLY necessary for maintenance. I'm already bothered with minoxidil's side effects ( body hair , water retention , depression ) I can't just afford more inconveniences.

uhh minoxidil can cause depression?? Never heard of that before

Hellboy

Reaction score
Fallout Boy said:
uhh minoxidil can cause depression?? Never heard of that before
Yeah I only found out recently. If you do a simple research about minoxidil sides you'll definitely find it somwhere. I think it was even mentioned on a brand minoxil's package. Scary stuff...

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Honestly i don't believe that minoxidil can cause depression...does anyone else have an opinion on this?? Or could you provide some links hellboy?

I've heard people say the same thing about finasteride...how they have a hunch that it was the cause of their depression but i don't see a connection between the two.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think minoxidil can cause depression - but I think using minoxidil can cause depression. I'm depressed at the thought of being dependant on this gunk for the rest of my life.

Coupled with the feelings of low self-esteem which often accompany hair loss, I think that's enough to get anybody down.

I hope the blues regress on sweet regrowth...