Screw it, I am definitely going the hair system route now

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
I'm not sure what else there is to try. Besides finateride, I've tried (among other things):
- saw palmetto
- spironolactone
- zix
- minoxidil
- nizoral
- Toco-8
- the nutritional approach
- Fluridil
- Prox-N
First of all thanks for posting your pictures. I can surely tell that in your age I had considerably more hair (hairline and density) but if I was you I would not go for a hair system at this point. But each one will choose what he thinks better for himself.

Regarding what you tried I have to say this, but I am not sure if it will have any positive impact in your case since you say you already tried the nutritional approach: the really bad things started to happen to my hair when I started to be sexually active (around your age). Until then my hair loss was rather mild and could be balanced by natural regeneration. Only during the last 2-3 years I realized that this intense sexual activity depleted zinc form my body which could not be easily counterbalanced by diet alone. Zinc is absolutely essential for healthy hair, nails, skin and much more. Alcohol can also deplete it while caffeine reduces the absorption.

It is many years since I got into the NW5-6 range but still my hair kept becoming fragile and falling, clearly heading a NW7. Nevertheless I gave zinc a try two years ago. It stopped completely any residual hair loss I had. That said, I don't think I could escape the genetic predisposition but probably zinc supplementation when I needed it badly could eventually slow down the process.

If you decide to try zinc supplementation, take care to not overdo it since it can hinder copper absorption. The recommended dose generally is between 15 and 22 mg per day. If it is going to be any good, you should see a reduction of hair loss in two ot three months.

Boondock

Reaction score
Thanks, although I have actually tried zinc, and had it in my regimen for a long time. It didn't affect hair loss at all.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
Thanks, although I have actually tried zinc, and had it in my regimen for a long time. It didn't affect hair loss at all.
Well, it is as I feared. But then pay attention to your life style (and in particular sex habits). If you don't replace what you lose in zinc during demanding periods of your life (for example when sexually active or generally under physical stress), you are going to experience an even more aggressive hair loss. The adverse effects of genetics and life style/diet just add up.

Boondock

Reaction score
Vox said:
Boondock said:
Well, it is as I feared. But then pay attention to your life style (and in particular sex habits). If you don't replace what you lose in zinc during demanding periods of your life (for example when sexually active or generally under physical stress), you are going to experience an even more aggressive hair loss. The adverse effects of genetics and life style/diet just add up.

I'm not sure I buy the zinc theory. As far as I know it can be a limiting factor in general hair growth and quality (your body needs it to manufacture the stuff), but a lack of it is not the cause behind male pattern baldness.

In fairness I do think it's worthwhile keeping healthy, and that includes these things. I just don't believe it has much effect on my hair. We will see!

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yea...sure...zinc...maybe those without male pattern baldness they have sex too and maybe a lot of lack of zinc...but they have no problem with hair...just a poor theory...why should you go bald outside or try to conceal something when you can have hair? no matter the age...in your opinion who is more happy the guy that the pictures I will post or you with thinning or norwood 3-4 or even more?he is wearing a topper/hair piece what ever...!

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
I'm not sure I buy the zinc theory. As far as I know it can be a limiting factor in general hair growth and quality (your body needs it to manufacture the stuff), but a lack of it is not the cause behind male pattern baldness.
Please read more carefully what I wrote (probably I was not very clear either). I did not connect zinc to male pattern baldness, all I said is this: adverse effects of genetics and life style/diet just add up.

In my case I am almost convinced that the very aggressive hair loss was not just male pattern baldness but it was the additive effect of male pattern baldness and of zinc deficiency that lasted really long.

If zinc supplementation did nothing for you, that means that you are OK zinc-wise. But if ever you engage into activities known to cause big loss in zinc, then take care to avoid having two independent and simultaneous causes of hair loss.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
yea...sure...zinc...maybe those without male pattern baldness they have sex too and maybe a lot of lack of zinc...but they have no problem with hair...just a poor theory...
Not at all. If you take care of this with your diet you are just fine. If not, supplementation would be necessary.

It is well known that zinc deficiency causes rapid degradation of hair and skin quality. Actually, when I got sexually active the first visible "side effects" were on my skin, not hair, and this because my diet was poor in zinc while I had forget in the meantime what is the meaning of "urinate" :mrgreen:. But at that time I knew nothing about zinc, its role and supplements and there was no way to suspect anything and seek solutions.

Of course in no case the two hair loss situations, from zinc deficiency and from male pattern baldness, are comparable in pattern and aggressivenes. Furthermore, the former is curable with the appropriate diet, the latter... :sobbing:

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
c'mon...some of you guys...I don't know have some theories that can overwhelm even scientists...how can you say that you are going to be bald becuase of the lack of zinc? even if you have that deficiency you will gain the hair back not will continue your norwood pattern...and yea...that is a fantastic result...You know what? I think the wig can work great...but it is up to you how good you are to do it right!

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok...maybe i didn't read right that...no matter what you will do...you will be bald...that's it...and a lot of guy have to understand that as long there is no cure you just can beat this...good luck!

fallinghair

Reaction score
Yea I'm looking at hair system as well. They just look so natural especially the super fine lace base, once attached with clear glue you just can't see it anymore. I'm young 27.5 . A lot may say toppik will do the trick. YES toppik does do the trick BUT:

can't sweat or it'll see through scalp again

can't swim

can't go to water park

can't really go out in the summer because of sweat and insane sunlight

under sunlight it actually looks patchy, true story - see for yourself with 2 mirrors under sunlight

then theres other thing that spray and color your scalp directly, problem is:

the sprayed spot looks dead matt

can't touch my hair or i'll have to wash my hand

can't lean my head against anything

can't backup wear hat since it'll destroy it

some more but forgot

not to mention being paranoit everyday try to keep track if I applied this or not within 15 mins of whatever, and w/e vit mon-wed. Thur Sat some other supp n all that.

With hair piece attachment its 2 weeks go swimming diving w/e, sauna and all that np[

really looking into this now

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
fallinghair said:
Yea I'm looking at hair system as well. They just look so natural especially the super fine lace base, once attached with clear glue you just can't see it anymore. I'm young 27.5 . A lot may say toppik will do the trick. YES toppik does do the trick BUT:

can't sweat or it'll see through scalp again

can't swim

can't go to water park

can't really go out in the summer because of sweat and insane sunlight

under sunlight it actually looks patchy, true story - see for yourself with 2 mirrors under sunlight

then theres other thing that spray and color your scalp directly, problem is:

the sprayed spot looks dead matt

can't touch my hair or i'll have to wash my hand

can't lean my head against anything

can't backup wear hat since it'll destroy it

some more but forgot

not to mention being paranoit everyday try to keep track if I applied this or not within 15 mins of whatever, and w/e vit mon-wed. Thur Sat some other supp n all that.

With hair piece attachment its 2 weeks go swimming diving w/e, sauna and all that np[

really looking into this now
Good luck as i think you are making the right choice to get hair back,you won't regret it.

S&L

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation . 23 y.o , I've started loosing hair only one and a half year ago but I've lost insane density on the top and my hairline is NW2 with nothing remaining where it receeded .
finasteride helped rethickening a little the top and minoxidil stopped the shedding , but I've got a problem with a side effect of finasteride with my memory , I noticed this quite clearly when I stopped it for 1 week or so .
I still have good hair but imo the hairline makes it ugly and I hide it as I can .

I'm considering a full cap because I don't want to bother with blending and my sideburns are not very nice .

I don't really know why I'm talking about this here like that , probably just the need to share this with people that understand . I'm really depressed about this , and it all went so fast I still have a hard time realising this .

skyhigh1999

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
minoxidil and nizoral aint gonna do sh*t without an anti androgen if you have got aggressive male pattern baldness.

I think you are way to young to quit lookin for something that works for you.

Also you are gonna have to spend tons of cash transitioning when you could be using it experimenting with different products.

just my opinion!

Nizoral is an anti-androgen as well as AR receptor antagonist(although weak).

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
S&L said:
I'm in a similar situation . 23 y.o , I've started loosing hair only one and a half year ago but I've lost insane density on the top and my hairline is NW2 with nothing remaining where it receeded .
finasteride helped rethickening a little the top and minoxidil stopped the shedding , but I've got a problem with a side effect of finasteride with my memory , I noticed this quite clearly when I stopped it for 1 week or so .
I still have good hair but imo the hairline makes it ugly and I hide it as I can .

I'm considering a full cap because I don't want to bother with blending and my sideburns are not very nice .

I don't really know why I'm talking about this here like that , probably just the need to share this with people that understand .
I'm really depressed about this , and it all went so fast I still have a hard time realising this .
It would be very easy for me to say you shouldn't be depressed about your hair loss but i think the majority have felt like that before we found a solution to help.
Yes you can try the drug/medication route but that can be rather hit and miss and very expensive for,in the majority of cases,very little hair gain or you could get surgery,again that can be a gamble as there is no gaurantee that your body will accept the transplants and also getting a good surgeon is very expensive and take into consideration that you have limited donor hair that can be succesfully transplanted and the results can be very poor as well.
Going the hair system route can also be hit and miss in finding a good supplier and things do go wrong now and then but by and large you get instant results that do give you your confidence back.
My advice would be to read every post you can and take in all the information available here and other hair forums and research the different companies first and then go for it.
What have you got to lose?
Good luck with whatever route you do decide to take but me personally would recommend getting a hairpiece due to cost and results.

S&L

Reaction score
machman said:
It would be very easy for me to say you shouldn't be depressed about your hair loss but i think the majority have felt like that before we found a solution to help.
Yes you can try the drug/medication route but that can be rather hit and miss and very expensive for,in the majority of cases,very little hair gain or you could get surgery,again that can be a gamble as there is no gaurantee that your body will accept the transplants and also getting a good surgeon is very expensive and take into consideration that you have limited donor hair that can be succesfully transplanted and the results can be very poor as well.
Going the hair system route can also be hit and miss in finding a good supplier and things do go wrong now and then but by and large you get instant results that do give you your confidence back.
My advice would be to read every post you can and take in all the information available here and other hair forums and research the different companies first and then go for it.
Good luck with whatever route you do decide to take but me personally would recommend getting a hairpiece due to cost and results.

Thanks man , I really appreciate it .
Not being depressed about this for me is nearly impossible , I'm in a very complex situation and just when things start to go better BAM !
In one single year I receed from NW0 to NW2+ and loose insane quantities of hair .
For the moment I'm holding I'll see what happens in the next 6 months or so ,but considering the rate this thing as evolved I certainly don't have much time.

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
S&L said:
machman said:

Thanks man , I really appreciate it .
Not being depressed about this for me is nearly impossible , I'm in a very complex situation and just when things start to go better BAM !
In one single year I receed from NW0 to NW2+ and loose insane quantities of hair .
For the moment I'm holding I'll see what happens in the next 6 months or so ,but considering the rate this thing as evolved I certainly don't have much time.
My pleasure!
Another piece of advice about waiting a while yet.If you do so then your hair loss will probably get worse unfortuanatly.Personally i would try and get as much research done just now and even try a stock piece that all the companies hold just to give you an idea of what to expect if you do decide to go the system route.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you know what? why don't you try by yourself if you want to find out? because I will definitely not share anything here about my experience with this even if it will be bad or good experience!