Scientists Inch Closer to Figuring Out How Hair Grows

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Banishing Baldness?

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
WebMD Health News

July 31, 2008 -- How does hair grow? We really don’t know. It’s a fascinating and complex system of chemical signals being sent to the follicles to tell them when to produce and when to rest. But it’s still largely a mystery.

Now scientists at Stanford are a step closer to cracking the code of hair growth.

They discovered that in mice, a certain molecule, called laminin-511, sends a signal to cells urging hair follicles to grow.

Could this lead to the death of the comb-over?

“Perhaps,â€￾ says Stanford lead researcher Jing Gao, MD, in prepared statements. “Now we have a signal protein that can support the microenvironment for hair development, and maybe also for hair renewal."

Researchers believe this chemical signal may also play a role in how other body parts, like the kidneys, eyes, ears, nose, and face, develop. Or it could also be instrumental in telling the body how to create arms and legs.

For the study, the researchers genetically engineered mice embryos so they lacked laminin-511. They discovered that as mammals develop, the molecule laminin-511 acts like a good hostess at a cocktail party, bringing together two nervous people and getting them to talk to each other.

In this case the molecule brings together two cell compartments of the skin. Those cells basically start to chat, triggering a cascade of information that leads to creating hair follicles.

"There are a lot of different causes of hair loss. Further research will test whether any forms of hair loss are influenced by laminin-511," study co-author Peter Marinkovich, of Stanford's Program in Epithelial Biology, says in a news release.

"Injecting laminin-511 into the skin might, under some circumstances, promote hair growth," he says.

If that works, then Marinkovich says the laminin-511 could be used as a drug, slipped under skin where you want hair to grow. It could also potentially block hair growth by injecting antibodies against laminin-511.

The research team included members from Stanford University School of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Osaka University, and the Washington University School of Medicine.

The results are published in the Aug. 1 issue of Genes & Development.

LinuxCavalier

Reaction score
I am curious specifically about this statement
"Injecting laminin-511 into the skin might, under some circumstances, promote hair growth," he says

It seems to me the circumstances are the need for embryonic stem cells. Im very curious if the stem cells generated with follica-like wounding would be sufficient.

I think it is also important to note that Laminin is in extracellular matrix (potentially in ACELL). We know ACELL regrows hair in nonbalding areas but perhaps this is hope that it may regrow in balding areas.

erovc

Reaction score
Once again... Scientists grow hair on mice, yet no results in humans. This is getting old. Does anybody really believe that the cure will be here in less than 5 years? I'd love to hear that, but, I've been hearing that since 2001 and nothing has come up except more articles such as these.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
f*** the scientists..be a guinea pig of yourself... :punk:

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
i agree erovc. same old sh*t, everyones on the brink of finding a cure then it never happens.

funny.

Sam

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Blame journalism. Someone made a discovery regarding one of the many hundreds if not thousands of proteins involved in hair growth. Nothing particularly important or relevant for us unfortunately. But how is the story reported? "Could this be the end of baldness?" Honestly go back over the last 10 years and you will see that all these articles are the same. It is almost like their is a Word template file that they use for this story complete with non-committal answer from scientist when questioned on hair loss applications.
Why does this happen? Because nobody gives a f^&* that someone found out a little more about a protein called laminin-511 unless you mention "teh cure for teh baldness". So dont blame scientists who prob arent even interested in male pattern baldness at all and their mice. Blame lazy journalism.
hh

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Mice get all the good sh*t.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I totally agree about the above post of bad journalism. Lets just condemn the whole media that is more interested today in entertaining us then informing us. We need some scientist to sit down at the table and start putting puzzle pieces together. We have tons of pieces to the puzzle such as this but they cant all be kept as seperate pieces.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Never assume any 'post' is a cure until there's a repeated observable outcome with a decent sample size. Otherwise, all posts are just probable theories/information/tidbits regarding or potentially related to male pattern baldness.