Scared about switching to dutasteride. Any advice?

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Basically after 1 year on finasteride and a few other treatments my hair is more diffuse. My hairline stayed the same but my hair is more diffuse. I clearly dont respond to propecia. I ordered some dutasteride but im scared to take it. Is it a safe drug for a 22 year old? I noticed that on Propecia my recovery time from physical activity was horrible. I took a 2 week break from Propecia and my recovery time is back to normal. Would i have the same problems on dutasteride? My main concerns are that dutasteride may age your skin faster, cause some sort of cancer down the line possible due to estradiol, or cause some sort of brain problem or Alzheimer's disease. Am i crazy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
It sucks that Propecia didn't work very well for you. I feel like I have a similar case. I took Propecia when there was no noticeable difference in the thickness of my hair. I've used it for 10 months, and it became very diffuse during this time period. I also suffered major sexual side effects, which really put my down.

I've since switched to Avodart on December 2, 2005. I still take it once daily, with a hot cup of Lipton's Green Tea-- on an empty stomache.

I haven't suffered any side effects whatsoever, and it seems to have stopped any shedding, reduced itching, made my skin clearer, etc.

(Knocking on wood during this entire post)

I have only gained positives from my experience with dutasteride. I'm very happy I made the switch. I just think that my body exemplifies a textbook case of DHT negatives-- hair loss, bad acne, unclear skin, lots of body hair, etc. etc.

I have a strong genetic disposition to go bald early-- my older brother is 23 and already has the dreaded island, and is going bald without a doubt. Of course, he hasn't gotten started on any treatments, either.

I think that Avodart might be working where finasteride failed for me.

There is the possibility that if you take Avodart, you might get side effects. If this is the case, you can always get off Avodart, and the side effects will eventually go away. Don't be scared to take Avodart under the supervision of a doctor.

Will dutasteride age your skin faster? In all liklihood, no, it won't. In fact, because less DHT is in your skin after taking Avodart, it's likely to have the opposite effect-- improving your skin.

Cancer? No, the four-year test results from dutasteride show it's a safe drug to use in the long term-- with all sexual side effects almost diminishing with time. (whether still taking Avodart or not)

Alzheimer's Disease? No.

I would talk to your doctor about it. Maybe get some simple blood tests taken every once in a while, then be on your merry way.

Who knows? Maybe Avodart can work as well for you as it does for me.

Best of luck, please feel free to ask any more questions.

Andy

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Aplunk1, thanks for the very helpfull and informative post i appreciate it. Im glad to hear your results on dutasteride are better and you are experiencing no sides (knocking on wood for you). Thats very encouraging for me to hear and yeah it sounds like we had similar situations with Propecia. There was a study (i'll try to find it) that said that certain geno types respond better to Dutasteride or Proepcia. Some people have better results on Propecia while some have better results on dutasteride. And there was a study done that said this has to do with your geno type being more compatible with either drug.

So you dont feel any different physically on dutasteride? Like you dont feel more tired and weak? No weight gain or fat gain? Do you recover from physical activity at the same rate? Again thanks for the help it was very incouraging. Thanks!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
stax said:
Hi Aplunk1, thanks for the very helpfull and informative post i appreciate it. Im glad to hear your results on dutasteride are better and you are experiencing no sides (knocking on wood for you). Thats very encouraging for me to hear and yeah it sounds like we had similar situations with Propecia. There was a study (i'll try to find it) that said that certain geno types respond better to Dutasteride or Proepcia. Some people have better results on Propecia while some have better results on dutasteride. And there was a study done that said this has to do with your geno type being more compatible with either drug.

So you dont feel any different physically on dutasteride? Like you dont feel more tired and weak? No weight gain or fat gain? Do you recover from physical activity at the same rate? Again thanks for the help it was very incouraging. Thanks!

That's interesting. It's funny, because the two drugs have different chemical structures, so they're likely to work in completely different ways. I feel I'm a better responder to dutasteride treatment, and in overall better health because of it.

Do I feel physically different? No, I feel the same. Tired or weak? Nope. No weight gain or fat gain? Well, I've been taking an anti-depressant called Remeron, and one of its side effects is weight gain. I've gained a little, but I'm going to try to hit the gym today! Do I recover fast enough? Indeed.

I hope this helps.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1, thanks for the reply i appreciate it. I think im going to take the plunge as i just ordered some dutasteride.

A quick question, does the %2 spironolactone lotion smell bad at all as does the %5 spironolactone cream? Thanks!

Goingat20

Reaction score
nah the 2 % spironolactone i use from genhair has no bad smell at all... are u going to look into genuine dutasteride or generic dutasteride? goodluck with it

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Goingat20, i already ordered real Avodart.

Do you know if Dr.Lee's %2 spironolactone smells at all? I dont know if i trust Genhair yet. Does the Genhair Version dry fast?

Goingat20

Reaction score
where did u order ur real avodart from?
Dr Lee's 2% wont smell if you keep it cool (refrigerate).
I am also going to order from Dr Lee's once my suplly is finished. But yes Genhairs does dry reasonably quick, but it a bit greasy when u first apply it then its ok after a short while

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Damn, well i cant refrigerate that spironolactone in my parents fridge lol! Even on my own i would have to hide it in something else lol. I might just order the %5 spironolactone cream at night and i'll either be applying it after Proxiphen or Revivogen so hopefuly it wont smell.

I ordered my real Avodart from http://www.qhi.co.uk/ and they are pretty cheap. I end up paying $100 per month Canadian for my real avodart and i used to pay $75 for real Proepcia at one time.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
stax said:
Aplunk1, thanks for the reply i appreciate it. I think im going to take the plunge as i just ordered some dutasteride.

A quick question, does the %2 spironolactone lotion smell bad at all as does the %5 spironolactone cream? Thanks!

Hi, I'm not supposed to say this, but good choice with the dutasteride. (I'll probably have to remove this comment later...)

I don't know much about the 2% spironolactone LOTION, but I do use both the 2% spironolactone liquid and 5% spironolactone cream from Dr. Lee. The 2% has the potential to smell, but it doesn't if you refrigerate it. If you don't have access to it, then it's okay... But only order 1 batch at a time-- otherwise the spironolactone inside the batch won't be as effective.

Neither solutions smell. I don't really trust GenHair, to be completely honest. I would recommend going through a certified, US doctor, like Dr. Lee, and order his products. I can assure you, the quality, price, and priority shipping are all GREAT.

I highly recommend using topical spironolactone in a hair loss regimen.

I hope this helps.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
stax said:
So you dont feel any different physically on dutasteride? Like you dont feel more tired and weak? No weight gain or fat gain? Do you recover from physical activity at the same rate?
19 months on dutasteride and if anything I've gained muscle at a marginally faster rate than whilst taking finasteride or in my pre-male pattern baldness days. Could be a co-incidence, possibly a natural result of moving from early- to late-twenties, or could it be the testosterone boost from dutasteride? Also, no noticeable change in levels of tiredness or post-exercise recovery rates - my skin's fine as well.

Aplunk, why aren't you supposed to say: "good choice with the dutasteride"? It's not like it's his first treatment.

Slarti

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
stax said:
Aplunk, why aren't you supposed to say: "good choice with the dutasteride"? It's not like it's his first treatment.

Slarti

Hey Slarti,
I think people are going to throw a fit if I go around and start encouraging dutasteride. I love it, personally.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks Aplunk1 and Slartibartfast for the help and info. I dont dont want dutasteride to affect my "lean" look as i heard DHT is responsible for that. I definetly feel more comfortable with my choise to take dutasteride and i think every 6 months im going to get a little blood work done just to be safe. I definetly have faith that dutasteride will really give me great thickening and maintenance along with the other products im going to modify in my regimen.

Do you guys actully know how much testosterone and estradiol is increased with 0.5mg of dutasteride usage? Thanks!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know. I know that scalp testosterone will be increased by a figure of 104% or so...

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry to sound ignorant but what do you mean by getting your blood work done, is this some kind of blood test? i've noticed this a lot on these forums.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes ita a blood test to test for all the standard things + hormone levels if you are on hormone altering drugs like i will be on with dutasteride. Plus if you save any irreugular symptoms or side effects then you tell your Doctor and he'll know what to test for.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I only ask because I am on finasteride without the supervision of my doctor, its not widely known about as a hairloss treatment in my country so I just order off the net to save a lot of hassle, and expense. I am considering switching to dutasteride in the not too distant future. How would I go about getting this kind of blood test done?

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you would have to see your Doctor to get this done. Explain to him everything.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I must admit that im still a bit scared with switching to dutasteride but im going to make the switch and ive already ordered some. I know they did a 4 year study and dutasteride Proved to be safe but thats not a long time. I'd like to see 10 years or something like that but what can ya do. Im mostly afraid of the type 1 5ar blocking in the brain. I dont know the percentage of type 1 5ar blocked but thats pretty much what im scared about. Dr.Lee told me not to do it but i want better results. It may prove to be safe but im still a bit scared. Any further thoughts?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I was initially very scared to become a "DutaMuncher," but since taking it I've felt normal. (Knocking on wood)