"Scalp reduction" done on Little Girl via Inflated "Balloon"

cuebald

Reaction score
Just seen this on the news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6749227.stm

This girl got bad burns to the scalp and lost her hair
Docs implanted some kind of Saline filled BALLOON into her scalp - it grew very slowly over a period of months - and when the skin was stretched enough, it was removed and the skin sewn over her scalp.

That article is from 2007, this was a "follow-up" where she has gone in for a repeat for more coverage.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, I've seen it before. There have been horror stories about this procedure, where the scalp looks deformed afterwards, and peoples' hair begins several inches above the ears and looks horrible. I haven't heard any good things about the procedure as an alternative to a hair transplant, but I can see in this case for the little girl it was a drastic last resort.

cuebald

Reaction score
Indeed, I've heard of the traditional Scalp Reduction which is generally considered an archaic treatment when compared to FUE etc. Plus, walking around with a massive balloon on your head for 6 months isn't really feasible either.
I wonder if they could do a treatment involving stretching the scalp slowly over time to get even coverage?