Scalp Pain / Burning All The Time Why?

sanchezcri58

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

About 10 months ago, February 2018, I started to experience a burning sensation on my left temple, when I checked the mirror there was no hair there, since then the burning sensitivity on my temples has spread to the whole scalp and it's all starting to thin.. It's been like this every day and every moment since then, no itching, just a really sore scalp. I really need help, anybody know what this could be? Anybody else have this?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Curious.. are you taking anything? finasteride/dutasteride/etc... I had that same thing happen to me as well. Left temple and all. I was on finasteride and topical minoxidil though. I had to quit minoxidil because that ppl and alcohol in it was making it worse. You could have folliculitis though which can be treated.

sanchezcri58

My Regimen
Reaction score
Curious.. are you taking anything? finasteride/dutasteride/etc... I had that same thing happen to me as well. Left temple and all. I was on finasteride and topical minoxidil though. I had to quit minoxidil because that ppl and alcohol in it was making it worse. You could have folliculitis though which can be treated.
I'm taking finasteride. I started in July 2018 but due to leaving the country temporarily, I stopped keeping track of it. But since late November of 2018 I've been taking it without fail. Since then my hair has thinned much more.. I am thinking the finasteride was the cause of the but I'm not sure. I'm going to see a dermatologist this week. I'm hoping it's folliculitis, then it can definitely be cured and I can get on with my life without this scalp pain every moment of every day. And worry less about hairloss.. The area it hurts most is my front middle hairline and there where I'm losing the most hair at this point.. Also oddly enough on the bottom back of my scalp lowest left and right hand corner of where my hair is, I also have the scalp pain. And also the lowest back point on the sides, just behind the ears But male pattern baldness only affects the top. So I'm not sure what it is. Have you experienced any of this?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so, the bottom back of my neck behind my ears is where I get the most of my “acne” on my scalp. That’s an area of high sebum production, or so I’ve read. Regardless, it probably is folliculitis so stress that it’s ruining you and that you don’t want topicals. Try and go on doxycycline or something and when your course of it is over, switch to the low dose to maintain the anti inflammatory benefit of it so that you don’t mess with bacterial resistance.

I had insane pains start after a year of me being on finasteride. Don’t know if directly related that it or if it was that I was allergic to minoxidil topically, but, when I switched to dutasteride those pains EVENTUALLY lessened. I still get some itching but I do have seb derm.

goodluck man, I know how badly the pains sucks.

sanchezcri58

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so, the bottom back of my neck behind my ears is where I get the most of my “acne” on my scalp. That’s an area of high sebum production, or so I’ve read. Regardless, it probably is folliculitis so stress that it’s ruining you and that you don’t want topicals. Try and go on doxycycline or something and when your course of it is over, switch to the low dose to maintain the anti inflammatory benefit of it so that you don’t mess with bacterial resistance.

I had insane pains start after a year of me being on finasteride. Don’t know if directly related that it or if it was that I was allergic to minoxidil topically, but, when I switched to dutasteride those pains EVENTUALLY lessened. I still get some itching but I do have seb derm.

Thanks bro, you've given me some hope. I had the scalp pain 6 months before assuming it's male pattern baldness and going on finasteride. But everywhere where it's particularly sore, my hair is really hard and it feels like steel wool. And those areas are mainly where I'm losing hair. Maybe the inflammation is causing hairloss? Or maybe it's coincidence and I got folliculitis male pattern baldness at the same time? I don't know. I'll definitely take at doxycycline. Hopefully that'll end the pain and soften the hair

Hussam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same issue and I have tried the doxycycline but it was a sh*t u have to take cefaclor 500 mg every day for 2 weeks

sanchezcri58

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same issue and I have tried the doxycycline but it was a sh*t u have to take cefaclor 500 mg every day for 2 weeks
So this worked for you? It turned out to be a bacterial infection? This is what I suspect in my case

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks bro, you've given me some hope. I had the scalp pain 6 months before assuming it's male pattern baldness and going on finasteride. But everywhere where it's particularly sore, my hair is really hard and it feels like steel wool. And those areas are mainly where I'm losing hair. Maybe the inflammation is causing hairloss? Or maybe it's coincidence and I got folliculitis male pattern baldness at the same time? I don't know. I'll definitely take at doxycycline. Hopefully that'll end the pain and soften the hair
I can relate to the sore scalp and hard hair. I was the worst for me when I was going on and off finasteride and my health was a mess. It felt like my entire head of hair was charged and burning away. When I fixed my health and kept on a lower dose it greatly lessened. I still have it on my hairline which is declining fast.

sanchezcri58

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can relate to the sore scalp and hard hair. I was the worst for me when I was going on and off finasteride and my health was a mess. It felt like my entire head of hair was charged and burning away. When I fixed my health and kept on a lower dose it greatly lessened. I still have it on my hairline which is declining fast.
I've had this for nearly a year man. I've noticed when I'm under stress it seems to hurt worse. Of course that could simply be because my nerves are more sensitive. Wow sounds like you have the same exact thing as me. How long have you had this? Any idea what it could be? Have you seen a dermatologist about it?

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had this for nearly a year man. I've noticed when I'm under stress it seems to hurt worse. Of course that could simply be because my nerves are more sensitive. Wow sounds like you have the same exact thing as me. How long have you had this? Any idea what it could be? Have you seen a dermatologist about it?
Dermatologists are essentially worthless with regard to this. It's hormonal. My understanding is that this is caused by heavy hormonal imbalance, in my case triggered by finasteride and exacerbated by stress and ill health in general. It almost felt as if my body was fighting the drug by overcompensating some other hormonal pathways which led to the insane inflammation. I took months off my extremely stressful grad school at home trying to fix my health by eating healthy, sleeping well and working out. I dosed back to a lower dose of finasteride when I felt better. The inflammation is mostly back to before on my top and crown, but hairline still bad.

Take my personal account with a grain of salt and trust your intuition my friend.

sanchezcri58

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermatologists are essentially worthless with regard to this. It's hormonal. My understanding is that this is caused by heavy hormonal imbalance, in my case triggered by finasteride and exacerbated by stress and ill health in general. It almost felt as if my body was fighting the drug by overcompensating some other hormonal pathways which led to the insane inflammation. I took months off my extremely stressful grad school at home trying to fix my health by eating healthy, sleeping well and working out. I dosed back to a lower dose of finasteride when I felt better. The inflammation is mostly back to before on my top and crown, but hairline still bad.

Take my personal account with a grain of salt and trust your intuition my friend.
Thank you for your insight. So from your experience do you think it's caused by over productive androgen glands? What exactly did you do to ease the pain? Any tips would be greatly welcome to lessen the pain

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight. So from your experience do you think it's caused by over productive androgen glands? What exactly did you do to ease the pain? Any tips would be greatly welcome to lessen the pain
Well, what I found was that every time I have a heavy bout of pain was usually right after my sides from finasteride worsened noticeably (fatigue, sleep problem and low libido). These sides were usually manageable when I watch out on lifestyle choices, but gets bad when I'm really stressed. When the pain comes, those sides would alleviate somewhat. So I extrapolated that it was my body fighting the drug induced bad hormonal profile. How it does that, there's no way for me to know. If I take a few days off from finasteride when the pain comes, the sides and the pain would both lessen, but the pain would then get worse after those few days, suggesting dht coming back. That was my rationale for taking lower dose of finasteride. I need to suppress dht without screwing my system too hard that it backfires.

So, from my experience, I suggest that you evaluate the sides finasteride gave you, how it goes side by side with scalp conditions, and maybe take a few days off the drug to see how you feel. At the end of the day everyone's different so you really have to assess the situation by your own specific conditions instead of trying to find a "cure". And again, don't completely buy into my words as they are subjective too.

sanchezcri58

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, what I found was that every time I have a heavy bout of pain was usually right after my sides from finasteride worsened noticeably (fatigue, sleep problem and low libido). These sides were usually manageable when I watch out on lifestyle choices, but gets bad when I'm really stressed. When the pain comes, those sides would alleviate somewhat. So I extrapolated that it was my body fighting the drug induced bad hormonal profile. How it does that, there's no way for me to know. If I take a few days off from finasteride when the pain comes, the sides and the pain would both lessen, but the pain would then get worse after those few days, suggesting dht coming back. That was my rationale for taking lower dose of finasteride. I need to suppress dht without screwing my system too hard that it backfires.

So, from my experience, I suggest that you evaluate the sides finasteride gave you, how it goes side by side with scalp conditions, and maybe take a few days off the drug to see how you feel. At the end of the day everyone's different so you really have to assess the situation by your own specific conditions instead of trying to find a "cure". And again, don't completely buy into my words as they are subjective too.
Hey thanks so much for your input. I remember when I first felt pain it was before I was ever on finasteride. But I never remember it being this bad before the drug. And before the drug I rarely lost any hair. Now I'm shedding like crazy. I think maybe ill experiment and stop taking it for a few days and see how it turns out. Hopefully I'll have a similar experience Especially now that I suspect the original reason I lost my hairline was telogen effluvium. But where the first pain came from im unsure as I took absolutely no medication before this. So I'm praying that this works

Reactions: WMQ

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hi bro ..hope ur doing well...what r ur thoughts about spironolactone...I'm thinking abt using it...did it work well for u?

gungunum

My Regimen
Reaction score
The mechanism of burning sensation development is connected with overexcitation of the brain structures responsible for supplying pain and tactile sensitivity to the skin. Among the causes may be psychological disorders, neurological diseases, vascular pathology or hypertension with crises. If this symptom persistently increases, you should consult a doctor. In particularly severe cases, you can consult a senior caregiver near me, but I hope that you won't reach a serious condition. On your own, you can take some measures that may alleviate the condition: rest, isolation from external stimuli, water procedures, but you should do this before check-up.

Last edited: