Scalp Pain And Inflammation Excess Sebum Seborrheic Dermatitis

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My scalp is incredibly painful to the touch or when moving hair around. I have bad seborrheic dermatitis and nothing seems to help it. I tried every shampoo out there to minimal benefit if at all. My whole scalp is oily, scaly, red, and lnflammed. Also, I get small red blood-filled bumps on my scalp in the areas that are painful.

I've been about a NW1.5 for the last 2 years without much change if at all. Before two years ago, I never had these problems and I'm unsure of how my hairline originally looked because my hairstyle always coincidentally covered up my temples.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to better regulate one's sebum production? If I lightly press anywhere on my scalp a few hours after showering, my fingers literally glisten with sebum. I feel that if I could lower the amount of sebum my scalp makes, I would fix my problems. I've tried a vegan diet a few months ago and it didnt help much if at all. Is there a drug or supplement out there that could do this? Would lowering DHT help with lowering sebum production?

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Try jojoba oil, believe it or not oily scalp is a symptom of a dry skin.

I've tried it. Seborrheic dermatitis is due to malassezia yeast, which feeds on oils. Since jojoba oil is very similar to our own scalp oil, you're just feeding the yeast more. Jojoba oil made my hair look nicer but made my scalp very inflamed.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've tried it. Seborrheic dermatitis is due to malassezia yeast, which feeds on oils. Since jojoba oil is very similar to our own scalp oil, you're just feeding the yeast more. Jojoba oil made my hair look nicer but made my scalp very inflamed.

I don't think it is the cause, rather a symptom. I have SD, and it has been bad in the past with my scalp skin turning into a yellow gunk, followed by scabs and pimples.

I recently brushed off a whole load of crap off my scalp that had got so thick none of my topicals where getting through and then used a salicylic acid based shampoo (left on for 30mins) a few times to then clean up what was left. I then used tretinoin which caused the top layer of my skin to dry and go scaly followed by huge amounts of flaking, this was quite painful and the jojoba oil helped a lot. I now maintain by adding pirotone olamine to my regimen and moisturising twice a week with jojoba oil.

You should also check you are okay in Zinc and Vitamin D.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I would try propecia. I have bad dandruff/seb derm and very itchy head. Had it my whole life, and tried every shampoo on earth. Any shampoo helps for maybe that day I used it then its back next day. Saw palmetto was the only that I ever tried that made it go away so I think propecia might help because for someone people its hormone related. Whether its DHT, receptors in hair causing itch I really dont know.
Itchy scalp and dandruff/seb derm is very very common in men with male pattern baldness for whatever reason. Nothing I ever used does anything.

Shreya Surana

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

My scalp is incredibly painful to the touch or when moving hair around. I have bad seborrheic dermatitis and nothing seems to help it. I tried every shampoo out there to minimal benefit if at all. My whole scalp is oily, scaly, red, and lnflammed. Also, I get small red blood-filled bumps on my scalp in the areas that are painful.

I've been about a NW1.5 for the last 2 years without much change if at all. Before two years ago, I never had these problems and I'm unsure of how my hairline originally looked because my hairstyle always coincidentally covered up my temples.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to better regulate one's sebum production? If I lightly press anywhere on my scalp a few hours after showering, my fingers literally glisten with sebum. I feel that if I could lower the amount of sebum my scalp makes, I would fix my problems. I've tried a vegan diet a few months ago and it didnt help much if at all. Is there a drug or supplement out there that could do this? Would lowering DHT help with lowering sebum production?

I'm not really sure if a diet can actually regulate your sebum production and I don't know if you actually consulted a doctor and came up with these conclusions.
I would recommend that you consult someone and get yourself thoroughly checked and then try to figure out a solution.