Scalp Micropigmentation, Good or Bad?

Scalp Micro-Pigmentation: Good or Bad?

• Total voters

brianw

Reaction score
For my situation, my vote is good. In fact, very good. I just had my second session (which appears to be enough) done a few days ago as an enhancement to my hair transplant. If I had to vote based on a bald head with SMP giving the illusion of a shaved full head of hair, I would vote bad. I don't think the hairline looks natural enough. My story is a long history of hair transplants starting with some old plug jobs back in the 80's when I was in my early twenties. They actually integrated plugs into my existing hair so no one ever really noticed (at least no one said anything). I doubt anyone would have done a transplant on me at that age these days. No monoxidil, no propecia, just had to stay on top of my thinning with many more transplants that kept getting more advanced as time went on. I ended up moving to Atlanta so was lucky enough to be near Dr. Cole who cleaned up the plugs and gave me a state of the art transplant. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on my stupid hair but ultimately ended up with a really natural looking head of hair. My guess is that I would be at least a norwood 5 if I did nothing. Even the girl that cuts my hair couldn't tell. BUT, as a lot of people on this forum have said, it's really difficult to get enough density out of grafts. I had to use concealer to give me what I feel is a full head of hair. I grew tired of using concealer every day. My wife was bitching because the stuff is messy. So I did yet another consultation with Dr. Cole for my crown which was what really needed work. The last time I had grafts done I had Dr. Cole put a minimal amount in my crown so it wouldn't become shiny bald. It turned out to be enough to look full with concealer. It was going to cost me at least $12,000 to stop using concealer on my crown alone. No way I was doing that. I was away from these forums for many years but started surfing them again when I was dealing with my thin crown which is how I discovered SMP. I was concerned about getting it done since I keep my hair longer and almost all of the pics you see for it is for the shaved look. I was assured it would work so I went for it. I figured worst case I would waste $3000 (which answers yooo's question) and use concealer for the rest of my life. It was a relief when I discovered that it did work, not only on my crown but my whole scalp was enhanced. I was concerned after the first session because it wasn't nearly dark enough. The second session did the trick. It's not quite as effective as Toppik since that clings to the hair and thickens it but it's every bit as effective as Dermatch or Couvre as it gets rid of the contrast between hair and scalp. It's actually more effective than Dermatch because if you look closely the dots just look like more hair. In my opinion, and I think I have enough experience to give one, anyone who gets a hair transplant should enhance it with SMP. It brings hair transplants to a new level. It will look like you got way more grafts than you actually did.

Now I get to disappear from these hair forums again hopefully forever. I wanted to give my experience before I do as this may help some of you folks make a decision. Take heart in that there are so many options now. Be glad you didn't grow up in the 70's. It breaks my heart to read so many stories of depression and suicidal thoughts because of hair loss. Be proactive and don't let money stop you. If you're a candidate for a transplant and want to do it but don't have the money, figure out a way. Don't buy a new car or take a second job. What good is a nice car if you're driving around depressed about your hair. Good luck to all of you in this battle.

Murle

Reaction score
Help

Headpower Hair Clinic in Toronto is the best place to go for Scalp Micropigmentation

bikram

Reaction score
It's good as per research & no known side effects.

As per the current research, the scalp micropigmentation (SMP) treatment have no known side effect. This treatment [FONT=arial, sans-serif] pretty straightforward process & that should be operated by the professionals & expert clinic. They have experience & necessary advisory to minimize any further side effects. If you search for better [/FONT] Scalp Micropigmentation then it's preferable to expert clinic like Headpower Hair Clinic in Toronto is the best place to go for Scalp Micropigmentation. Overall, this treatment has lowest rate of [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]side-effects. Thanks![/FONT]

youngtrep31

Reaction score
I too have been doing lots of research on SMP and i think overall it will be a great solution for me. But i do think its important to pick the right person/place. I see such a wide difference in quality. Ill be heading to NY for some consultations soon so hopefully seeing it in person will sell me on it.

hayden88

Reaction score
Have just booked in to get my SMP done in three weeks. Have been fairly confident it's what I want for the last year but getting nervous now. Buuuuut...... I'm willing to roll the dice on this, that's how much it's affecting my life

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
SMP has the same limitations as shaving your head, i.e. it requires a good head shape.However, if you have no choice but to shave your head, it's great at giving a frame to your face, it does look better than a bald head. I think it would be better if you combine it with a hair transplant though, graft hair all over your head, it doesn't need to be dense, but it will give a 3D look and SMP will give an illusion of density as long as the head is shaved very short. If anyone touches your head, they still feel stubble from the hair transplant. Seems like the best possible combination.

pgain

Reaction score
Is it possible to get hair transplant after SMP?
It is possible if you choose FUE, not FUT.
However, you need to tattoo the dots on the back of your head too, and you need an experimented person to get the right color and amount dots.

This is the best method to get rid of a bald head, I watched many videos/photos and the "before" and "after" are stunning.

I will get one after I can no longer keep my hair, and whoever will ask why I shave my head I would tell them that I am actually bald.
The main thing about baldness is that it looks bad( especially the bald spots ), nobody cares about the fact that you are bald, just that you look bad bald, SMP will redraw your face completly

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only person id say this is good for is someone thats had a hair transplant and full but thin coverage and that shaves their head. This way you get the darker look and better hairline.

If your heavily recessed or completely bald its useless unless you want to be laughed at. The first thing ppl do when they see a shaved head is touch it for the prickly effect. They will touch this and feel slick skin. Ive seen it in personaswell and u can see the diff between the side hair and slick top.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
SMP beats the hell out of a slick head. The frame the artificial hairline gives makes a world of diffrence, and if combined with a low density hair transplant for 3D texture, could give really nice results. Even if the pigment blurs, it would probably just look like dermamatch...

Johannes Johnson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also looking to get one. There are two kinds though
1) tricopigmentation is a temporary smp that will fade away on its own in usually 12-18 months
2) regular micropigmentation that is longer lasting and you may potentially need to remove it with a laser later on. It costs less long term but short term u will pay much more for this.

What do you guys think is the better choice? Also does anyone think ink fading away on ur scalp can cause harm in the future? That's my biggest concern

phandroid

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have been a off and on lurker for years on this forum. I have had a hair piece for the last 20 years and to be honest I am really tired of it..I got it when I as 26 and I am now 46. I've been married for 19 years and my wife doesn't care if I am bald but I mostly do it for myself BC of the physiological effect on how different I would look. As a side note on the weekends I remove my piece to give my head some air. At this point I want a simple solution and I feel like SMP is the answer..though technically still bald, it helps frame the face and create a light hairline. I dont care if anyone touches it..I went so far as too meet someone who was having a touch up. He used to wear a concealer and once he went with the SMP he said it was the best thing he ever did..what was funny was that when I saw the touch up I could tell it was "dots" but it had just been done..when I looked the back of his head I could not really tell..in fact when the owner took a pic of me without my system to draw in the hairline when I looked it, my hair looked EXACTLY like the SMP.

In any case I am really nervous about it but I guess if it turns out bad I can always go back to piece..so I came back to forum to do some research and ask from folks how liked it... I am aiming to do this some time next summer as I think I will have done research by then.

This is how I'd like mine to turn out..

If anyone who has it done can post some reviews that would be greatly appreciated!

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly couldnt see this on myself. My hair on my sides grows so fast that Id be shaving my head EVERY day just to not have bushed out hair on the sides and nothing but shadow on top.
I think some of them come out really nice but to me its the same exact thing as getting a REALLY good system.

I wish you could just get a hair system that would be 100% permanent unless YOU wanted it off to change your style.

As bad as it sounds there are implants and prosthetic in the body modification community that let you clip and snap horns, decor and all sorts of ridges on your scalp and face.

Transdermals_2.jpg

Why not use this same tech to make a piece that just WONT come off accidentally.

heard it here first..... PATENT PENDING b****s!!!!!!!

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would getting an SMP for a diffuse thinner be a goos idea ? My hairline is *touch wood* still okayish , I could live without the smp doing any work on my hairline/temples. But behind my hairline I have thining spots. Would I be able to get an SMP then do a short buzzcut?

Off topic, I was doing shopping today and saw a young kid probably 10 years old with a really short buzzcut, it caught me off guard, i found it really bizzare to see a nw0 with such insane density all over the scalp.

phandroid

Reaction score
Would getting an SMP for a diffuse thinner be a goos idea ? My hairline is *touch wood* still okayish , I could live without the smp doing any work on my hairline/temples. But behind my hairline I have thining spots. Would I be able to get an SMP then do a short buzzcut?.

There are a number of youtube videos where some are not thin all over and use SMP to "fill in"..looks like it turns out good..

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think Scalp Micropigmentation is a great solution for hair loss especially compared to the alternative treatments available most of which don't work! I've been looking into having SMP done for some time now and I'm finally booked in at Renovo Hair Clinic as I found them to be very down to earth and honest and their results look natural which was a big thing for me.

f*** off shill

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
How is SMP good? Even most testimonials on Youtube show absolutely laughable results.
These hairlines look very unnatural.

What about tricho? does it look better?

hairibos

My Regimen
Reaction score
i had it - choose
decent clinic and sensible hair line
i saw 4 people with it first -
looks great when done well

no-one can tell and i have nosy
kids who touch my head and look at me close up, drs too

shave for 5mins every day or 2 with clippers (leave slight stubble as have a little hair on top (very little)
- so easy

convenience looks to me way easier than hair system - costs much less over time

no cleaning ritual, travelling with glues, back up unit, fear of discovery, replacement costs

but you need to get used to the shaved look
that can be tough depending on head shape and personality

but you do get a hairline and framing your face is a huge deal