Scalp massages reducing the itching and burning

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Decided to start doing a 5 to 10 minute scalp massage every night at the start of June. My scalp, especially in the area behind the temples where I'm thinning was so tight I could hardly pinch it.

Fast forward to now and I can easily pinch a fold of scalp and it's looser all over. Have nothing to report with regards to hairloss, but the itching and burning I'd feel in the past seems to have reduced quite a bit. Just anecdotal, but wondering if anyone has found the same?

BTW I don't expect it to improve or stop my loss but at the moment my scalp feels good. Also needling every 2 weeks. No other treatments but going on finasteride soon

pochkopmo

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're on to something. I too did 'hard' scalp massages for a couple of months and felt the same thing. At first literally calcified, but as the massages went on i noticed the skin started 'loosening'. Not only this, but i also realized my scalp was always 'softer' after taking a shower. There's some anecdotes saying people managed to regrow just doing 'hard' massages, not sure how legit they are but massages, specially hard ones are said to work similarly to dermarolling, in the way they trigger regrowth of the tissue.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you wash your hair every day (as most of us do) you are naturally massaging your scalp, assuming that you wash your hair properly. In my case, I massage for 3 minutes, then rinse and then massage it again for 1 minute or so to remove the foam from my hair. I guess you can say that it's something that is done on a daily basis and therefore not needed for the rest of the day, especially if you have a scalp prone to seb. derm, which massaging can actually make things worse.

I do admit, however, that ever since I started washing my hair everyday instead of every other day or every two days, fighting the itchiness and oiliness on those days in between, my scalp has been much more cleaner and less itchy. Way less itchy. Besides, my hair has grown darker and healthier compared to what it was before. Keep in mind that I use a regular shampoo (HS green apple) so it doesn't do anything else other than cleaning. So, yeah, massaging definitely helps (I didn't wash my hair in a correct way before because I was paranoid thinking that massaging = more shedding).

Last edited:

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still seems to be working although I had a couple of itchy moments today but that's the first in a week.

Something I noticed with the itch over the years is I NEVER woke up with an itchy scalp. It alway struck mid morning 2 or 3 hours after getting up.

I've often wondered why, but since doing the massages I've noticed when I go to massage my scalp when I wake up my scalp is really loose. Which I guess is simply because my head muscles have relaxed throughout the night.

I've noticed later in the day my scalp is a lot tighter.

One could speculate that the itching starts after a few hours when muscles begin to tighten.

However I think I have squeezed out sebum with the pinches which I also think agrivates the scalp.

Still experimenting to find what's best and what's not. I think it's too much to expect hair growth but if it controls the itch it's worth it.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still seems to be working although I had a couple of itchy moments today but that's the first in a week.

Something I noticed with the itch over the years is I NEVER woke up with an itchy scalp. It alway struck mid morning 2 or 3 hours after getting up.

I've often wondered why, but since doing the massages I've noticed when I go to massage my scalp when I wake up my scalp is really loose. Which I guess is simply because my head muscles have relaxed throughout the night.

I've noticed later in the day my scalp is a lot tighter.

One could speculate that the itching starts after a few hours when muscles begin to tighten.

However I think I have squeezed out sebum with the pinches which I also think agrivates the scalp.

Still experimenting to find what's best and what's not. I think it's too much to expect hair growth but if it controls the itch it's worth it.
Same with me, when the itchiness is present, it usually starts a few hours after I wake up. Weird.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have one of those scalp massagers and after i use it my hair looks like crap. its thin and looks like its thinned out within days.

Then again i am a rare case. it often feels like the more i encourage hair growth the faster the thinning areas go bye bye