Scalp Inflammation And Hair Loss What Could It Be?

airtas

Reaction score
About two months ago I had a bump on the back of my scalp.
I also had a lymph node enlarged at the back of my neck.

My primary care doctor shrugged it off and said it was probably a hair follicle infection and to give it a couple months.

We are a couple months in and now I have a nickel sized bald patch and the area is red.

My derm prescribed a steroid to see if it helps with the inflammation but they seemed perplex too. The tested the skin for a fungus and wasn't fungus related.

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Hair follicle infection?
Alopecia Areata?
Inflammation?
Something else?

I am meeting with a new derm next week. The pic is before the hair loss from September.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,959
Last edited:

keepcoolmybabies

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it looks like tinea capitis... but if that tested negative than not sure. Possibly could be a form of folliculitis. Or maybe LPP since you have centralized erythema, though I don't see any perifolicular scale.

You should biopsy the area.

airtas

Reaction score
Well it looks like tinea capitis... but if that tested negative than not sure. Possibly could be a form of folliculitis. Or maybe LPP since you have centralized erythema, though I don't see any perifolicular scale.

You should biopsy the area.
what is LPP?

airtas

Reaction score
I was using Nizoral two weeks prior to the skin test would that have cleared Tinea Capitis?

keepcoolmybabies

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what is LPP?
Lichen planopilaris.

I was using Nizoral two weeks prior to the skin test would that have cleared Tinea Capitis?
Not sure. Nizoral definitely can't treat it as tinea capitis isn't merely superficial and instead deep under the skin. But perhaps it can still interfere with a standard skin skraping since that in itself is superficial.

airtas

Reaction score
This is the spot as of today. I can get a better picture if it helps.

Attachments

• 20191108_153759.jpg
    20191108_153759.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 490

jazz1

Reaction score
Try these options:

3 Garlic cloves
Onion
Apple Cider Vinegar
2 table spoons olive oil

Extract the juice and apply once per day Plus get a cream called Dactokort contains 1% Hydocortisone and 2% microconozate.

Derma roller 1mm.