saw palmetto question

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
hurricom said:
Can someone tell me how much saw palmetto I should take daily for hair loss?

Saw palmetto has not been shown to benefit those with male pattern baldness.

puzzled

Reaction score
Saw Palmetto

Saw palmetto (Serenoa serrulata) shown in laboratory tests inhibit the 5 alpha reductase enzyme more effecitvely than the drug Finesteride (used at 5mg in Proscar® and 1 mg in Propecia®).

Practical tests recorded in the British Journal of Pharmacology 1984 found Saw Palmetto to be more effective than Proscar on men with prostrate problems - a similar causative disorder as pattern baldness.

Have a look at the comments in another forum (Hair Loss Confessions) that I have subscribed as well:

http://www.hairlossconfessions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95

docj077

Reaction score
Re: Saw Palmetto

puzzled said:
Saw palmetto (Serenoa serrulata) shown in laboratory tests inhibit the 5 alpha reductase enzyme more effecitvely than the drug Finesteride (used at 5mg in Proscar® and 1 mg in Propecia®).

Practical tests recorded in the British Journal of Pharmacology 1984 found Saw Palmetto to be more effective than Proscar on men with prostrate problems - a similar causative disorder as pattern baldness.

Have a look at the comments in another forum (Hair Loss Confessions) that I have subscribed as well:

http://www.hairlossconfessions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95

It's quite likely that you'd have to take more than a few grams of Saw Palmetto per day to equal a 1mg dose of propecia. It's both cheaper and more effective to just take propecia.

G

Typical dosage of SP extract for hair loss or prostate is 320mg. Beta Sitosterol is usually added in addition to the SP extract for added effectiveness.

These work similar to spironolactone, in that they bind to the androgen receptor. I didn't think these inhibited the 5AR but maybe they have a weak effect at doing both?

I take SP extract and B-Sit every day. Check my regimen for dosage.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Saw Palmetto

puzzled said:

Only if you take a wheelbarrow full of saw palmetto!! :D

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an old post of mine from alt.baldspot:

This is my fourth excerpt from "Alopecia: Unapproved Treatments or Indications", by Drs. Marty Sawaya and Jerry Shapiro.

"Serenoa Repens / Saw Palmetto / Permixon"

"This is very commonly known by patients and clinicians as it is widely available in most nutritional food stores. Serenoa repens berries grow naturally, with the extract claiming to inhibit DHT production, mainly claimed for use in prostate problems. There have been no extensive studies, but because of the stated implications of affecting DHT, men are anxious to try this OTC remedy to see whether it promotes hair growth on the scalp.

"Studies that have been done have compared Permixon with finasteride in treatment of 1098 men with benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH). Permixon improved symptoms of BPH but had no effect on androgen-dependent parameters such as DHT levels or 5a-R, indicating that its effects must be due to other yet undetermined pathways that do not involve DHT or 5a-R directly. Another study in 32 young men (aged 20 to 30 years) in a 1-week open trial looked at the effects of finasteride versus Permixon with regard to serum androgen levels; no effect on DHT levels were found in the Permixon-treated group, similar to the placebo group, whereas the finasteride group reduced DHT by 65%.

"Side effects noted in taking Serenoa repens in either commercial form of Permixon or Saw Palmetto have been gynecomastia in men, which indicates again that it does not act on DHT alone, but by other as yet unrevealed mechanisms. To be effective the extract of the berries must be taken, not the berries themselves. Another active ingredient, Pygeum africanum compound, is added to this extract and is thought to influence testosterone metabolism, although it is not clear how at this point. The product comes in capsule form with 2 to 6 capsules as the recommended daily dose in divided doses between meals. The cost can range from $12 to $40 per month."

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
1500 mg daily atleast.

2500-3000mh daily max

G

TheHairGrower said:
1500 mg daily atleast.

2500-3000mh daily max

I think he means the berries, this is way too high from the standard dosage of 320mg for the extract.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
this is the regular 10:1 extract. 80mg capsule = 800 mg of herb.

im taking 2-3 of these a day, im starting on 3 a day for 2 weeks then i might switch down to 2 capsules. because i missed a week of intake and need a boost.

my recomendation has nothing to do with the daily suggestion dose for joint and muscle relief, this is from my own research with SP and other SP products.

You need atleast 1500mg to regrow hair from my experience.

not 1500mg of pure extract, 10:1 extract would only be 2 capsules at 80mg each at a total of 160mg of extract = 1600mg of SP.

BARCA

Established Member
Reaction score
TheHairGrower said:

not 1500mg of pure extract, 10:1 extract would only be 2 capsules at 80mg each at a total of 160mg of extract = 1600mg of SP.

ok i am using the walmart's saw palmetto spring valley brand...160 mg..how many capsuls i need to take per day?

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
BARCA said:
TheHairGrower said:

ok i am using the walmart's saw palmetto spring valley brand...160 mg..how many capsuls i need to take per day?

is that 160mg of extract?

if it is, take 320mg a day of extract. if its not extract its not enough.