saw palmetto in my multi vitamin

Crippler

Reaction score
i just bought a multi vitamin and noticed that it contains saw palmetto 200mg in it

now i have been on propecia for a while with no side effects so if i use this vitamin will the saw palmetto actually effect me even more if i happen to use that as well as propecia in regards to side effects.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Very possibly, yes.

Why not just get regular Centrum Multivitamin? Its a good multivitamin with no extra herbal stuff in it.

HairLossTalk.com

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got GNC's Mega Men multi-vitamin/supplement pill and it seems to have a very small amount of Saw Palmetto as well. Is that a problem? I thought I read some recomendations for the Mega Men pills somewhere on these boards. Anyone else using it?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
They're recommended for guys who have libido problems when using Propecia. Im pretty much the one that started that trend. I definitely would not use them as a daily multivitamin though simply because they are extreme overkill as far as daily percentages go. Take a look at the label :) I'd only personally use them as a 2-4 day libido booster.

HairLossTalk.com

Petchsky

Reaction score
I take some herbal prostate support tablets that have a lot of possible useful herbs for hairloss in and they contain 300mg of saw palmetto along with other stuff. Although i agree it has not hard evidence backing it up, the herbal tablets have added to the success of my regimen, although i do not necessarly attribute that to the saw palmetto. My point is i dont think it did me any harm...although i did get nut ache as a side effect from what i believe was the saw palmetto.

For more info look at my post on the unproven treatments board.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=10200

Safe. :p

Cassin

Reaction score
I use it....no problems anymore, but I had a few minor issues at first. That stuff is so strong I only use 1 pill instead of the recommended 2. At first it was so strong I was popping wood right and left and I felt a little high after two weeks. Of course I am hypersensitive to anything I take. Whatever I use, always works for me very well.......but I always get the side affects too.

I made the mistake of using it even though I didn't have libido problems. Mega Man is a great vitamin IMO, if your in sh*t shape (energy) or have libido problems.

When my bottle runs out I am going with a simple less pricey Multi.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I plan on using these bad boys 1 a day (cant believe they recomend two) along with 500-1000 mgs of MSM.
Added to my propecia.

Hope I don't poison myself.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
I agree, I can't believe they recommend 2 a day. 1 is almost overkill. And you know me Petchsky ... i have to say it :) you can't technically make the assumption that the herbs in the tablet contributed to your success :) Based on the data out there, I'd say they didn't hurt it but also probably didn't contribute to the success.

HairLossTalk.com

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally i would stay away from anything with SP in it unless you have bhp. That's the very reason I don't use gnc mega men. Instead I use gnc nourish hair. It recommends 2 a day but I only use one. Has ALL the good hair vitamins without the SP.

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
why is sp bad to take with finasteride?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Because you practically double the chance and severity of side effects (depending on the person) without having any confidence that you're doing anything to increase the chance of success with your hair.

If you want a dual inhibitor, just take Dutasteride (Avodart). At least it has some data showing results.

HairLossTalk.com

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
So those of you who do take MegaMen (1 pill/day) havent noticed any side-effects from the Saw Palmetto ingredient?

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:
So those of you who do take MegaMen (1 pill/day) havent noticed any side-effects from the Saw Palmetto ingredient?
bump..good question!