Salycic Acid Shampoo (basically topical aspirin) 4 hairloss?

michael barry

Reaction score
Has anybody ever done a real study to see if T-Sal is good for hairloss? Technically it should inhibit COX-1 and COX-2, thereby reducing all prostaglandins downstream of them, including PGD2.

Ive looked around, and basically everyone says T-Sals are wonderful anti-inflammatories. Ive even found some that have menthol in them....................

Useful? Anyone know?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I use Dr. Lee's Nizoral shampoo 2x weekly which contains salysilic acid. No great wonder cure.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
michael, I used Nizoral in the past a lot and I always had scalp itching and acne. From past 2-3 months I have been using T-Sal and acne is gone and itching reduced somewhat. Since January, I have been using Lee's 5% cream after shower and both itching and scalp acne are gone now. I also tried T-Gel, but that always made the itching worse, especially the Stubborn itch control version with menthol in it. So for people whose scalp is sensitive to nizoral/T-Gel should give T-Sal a try.

michael barry

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys...................good info.

I have some t-sal. Its kinda dry, but it does the trick on inflammation. I had no idea that salycic acid came from willow bark like aspirin until just the other day. I just never read up on it.

There is a caffeinated shampoo with salycic acid in it. Two of them as a matter of fact. That ought to inhibit COX-1 and COX-2 pretty effectively.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
That bodyshop ginger PO shampoo has the natural form of aspirin in it. Mine should be arriving next week.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this post Old Baldy made on another forum some time ago...interesting.

Old Baldy: Just a little info. for you guys who make your own concoctions. We've all heard of salicylic acid but this little article gives you a hint of what professional companies use when they say something like "we use special penetration enhancers".

There are other penetration enhancers that I don't know about but I'd bet salicylic acid (@ 1.0 percent) is used quite a bit to deliver medications through the skin?

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/newslett ... une-06.pdf