Salon prices, is this cut in fee too high?

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am about to begin wearing again for the first time since before Covid hit. I was sourcing through my previous salon and so the prices were all inclusive with the services plus the units.
I am now ordering my own units and will only use salon for cut in service.
I was quoted at one place $100 which seemed very reasonable and even low. But this is not my first choice in terms of experience and quality.

But the next two places quoted me $200, and the third said between $225 and $250 but she couldn't tell me for sure until she saw me and the unit in person.

Over 200 dollars, and possibly up to $250 for just a cut in seems high to me. I understand the salons need to make their money and especially if I am not purchasing hair through them, but is $225-250 high, or is this normal these days?

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
$150-200 seems about right. I think shelling out the extra cash is worth it to make sure your hair system is installed properly and blends with your hair.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
$150-200 seems about right. I think shelling out the extra cash is worth it to make sure your hair system is installed properly and blends with your hair.

Agreed, especially if the place has great reviews.
Thank you fellas! I believe you are correct. I will go with my first choice and probably pay an extra 130-150 but at least it will be done properly and well.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything is relative. Where you live, and prevailing prices in your area, and level of service.

I paid €40 in Madrid for a top stylist to do a cut-in. Our stylist in Manhattan charges $400. I paid $280 in Tel Aviv, JUST for the haircut, as the system had to be previously installed.

Understand it takes far more time to attach a system, and cut it in, then a standard haircut. They might spend an hour with you, or more. And they don't get any profit from the system.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks for a recommendation/reviews otherwise $100-$200 seems on the money from my experience

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything is relative. Where you live, and prevailing prices in your area, and level of service.

I paid €40 in Madrid for a top stylist to do a cut-in. Our stylist in Manhattan charges $400. I paid $280 in Tel Aviv, JUST for the haircut, as the system had to be previously installed.

Understand it takes far more time to attach a system, and cut it in, then a standard haircut. They might spend an hour with you, or more. And they don't get any profit from the system.
Thanks for sharing that info and your experiences. This helps greatly, thank you!
Looks for a recommendation/reviews otherwise $100-$200 seems on the money from my experience
Will do, and thanks for that range. Yes, when I first started years ago I purchased from Lordhair and one salon charged me 100 and she was terrible. A other was 150 and it was okay. This one I'm looking at now charges 225-250 but I like her experience and I'm hoping she can do good job.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds right. Salon I go to just north of NYC (already an expensive area, especially if you do it in Manhattan as someone else here noted) charges $150, $200 if you are dyeing the bio hair to match the unit. However, I don't think the place I go to lets you bring in an outside unit.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds right. Salon I go to just north of NYC (already an expensive area, especially if you do it in Manhattan as someone else here noted) charges $150, $200 if you are dyeing the bio hair to match the unit. However, I don't think the place I go to lets you bring in an outside unit.
Appreciate that info sir! Yes, the Manhattan area is quite pricey all the way around.

I feel like the lady who quoted me 225-250 is up-charging like crazy Bc I'm not buying a unit from her. Bad part is I don't even know if she's any good, and she's located an hour from me.
Most places where I live charge 100-150.
Still amazes me how hard it is to find a salon to do something so simple as installing and cutting a hair system.

firewatch9999

My Regimen
Reaction score
I pay 40 cad plus tip. Cutting in a hair system is not much different than a regular haircut. Most barbers are cool with doing it for you if you ask them.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I pay 40 cad plus tip. Cutting in a hair system is not much different than a regular haircut. Most barbers are cool with doing it for you if you ask them.
About the same for me. Once in a bind, I went to a regular barber and paid 10. He was excited in cutting a system as he never did. I just explained what I wanted and he did a decent job..

.over 100 for cut in ( no attachment, glue etc, ) is pricey IMO, if you feel confident in going to a posh salon and trust the stylist, and can afford to spoil yourself, then go for it

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

About the same for me. Once in a bind, I went to a regular barber and paid 10. He was excited in cutting a system as he never did. I just explained what I wanted and he did a decent job..

.over 100 for cut in ( no attachment, glue etc, ) is pricey IMO, if you feel confident in going to a posh salon and trust the stylist, and can afford to spoil yourself, then go for it
The problem for me is I need the salon to cut the base for me too. I just feel more comfortable going to a salon that specializes in hair systems.

But just on principle I can't see myself paying 225-250. I'll probably go to one of the two salons that charge 100 or 150.

I feel paying more than 150 to cut a base and some hair, which takes maybe 30 minutes, is pretty much the same as being hustled.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem for me is I need the salon to cut the base for me too. I just feel more comfortable going to a salon that specializes in hair systems.

But just on principle I can't see myself paying 225-250. I'll probably go to one of the two salons that charge 100 or 150.

I feel paying more than 150 to cut a base and some hair, which takes maybe 30 minutes, is pretty much the same as being hustled.
Hustled suggests you are being forced to pay.. You don't want to pay to have someone cut the base for you, have it cut at the factory, they usually charge about $10. No one is forcing you.

Understand that price is based on a number of things, one is location. If someone is paying a huge rent, then that needs to be factored into their prices.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hustled suggests you are being forced to pay.. You don't want to pay to have someone cut the base for you, have it cut at the factory, they usually charge about $10. No one is forcing you.

Understand that price is based on a number of things, one is location. If someone is paying a huge rent, then that needs to be factored into their prices.
"Hustled" When did it become cool for everyone to be a victim?

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

True. Hustled is not the appropriate choice of words. If a consumer agrees to an unreasonable price, the responsibility belongs to the consumer, not the vendor.

Good suggestion on paying the factory to cut the base. I may try that.

Since my last post I have found a lady who has a nice salon not too far from me, she has been doing this for quite a while and has good reviews, and charges 100. Yay !:)

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
True. Hustled is not the appropriate choice of words. If a consumer agrees to an unreasonable price, the responsibility belongs to the consumer, not the vendor.

Good suggestion on paying the factory to cut the base. I may try that.

Since my last post I have found a lady who has a nice salon not too far from me, she has been doing this for quite a while and has good reviews, and charges 100. Yay !:)
It's not a wise to have a base cut is without your presence.

If done incorrectly, which happens, you will be stuck. Best case you'll have to wait for a replacement system, worst case they'll tell you there's nothing wrong with it. Don't be pennywise and pound foolish.

We're doing this to look our best, price should have nothing to do with it.... Especially when we're talking such a miniscule amount, over the life of the system.

My advice, is to cut your own base. That way you have complete control over doing it right. Sometimes we intentionally or unintentionally shave our area larger, or differently. This way would ensure you're always doing it perfectly, each time.

Even the best factory cannot foresee the changes you may make, in your shave zone, using a template you mailed them previously.

Last edited:

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not a wise to have a base cut is without your presence.

If done incorrectly, which happens, you will be stuck. Best case you'll have to wait for a replacement system, worst case they'll tell you there's nothing wrong with it. Don't be pennywise and pound foolish.

We're doing this to look our best, price should have nothing to do with it.... Especially when we're talking such a miniscule amount, over the life of the system.
Yes, I'd feel more comfortable taking it to the salon to cut the base, at least for now.

It seems I've found a good salon for a good price, but I agree with you, at the end of the day if paying 150 dollars more produces a much better result then it is worth the money.
Sometimes being thrifty can bite you in the backside.

Last edited:

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My advice, is to cut your own base. That way you have complete control over doing it right. Sometimes we intentionally or unintentionally shave our area larger, or differently. This way would ensure you're always doing it perfectly, each time.

Even the best factory cannot foresee the changes you may make, in your shave zone, using a template you mailed them previously.
Yes, this would be a neat thing to learn how to do.
And as you said, it gives you the control over changing variables.
I need to watch some YT videos, maybe Curtis, to learn how.
Thanks for your advice :)

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, this would be a neat thing to learn how to do.
And as you said, it gives you the control over changing variables.
I need to watch some YT videos, maybe Curtis, to learn how.
Thanks for your advice :)