Sage, TGF-beta 1 inhibitor, study

michael barry

Reaction score
[Effect of Salvia miltiorrhiza on autocrining growth factor by fibroblasts cultured in vitro][Article in Chinese]

Wang YM, Wei FK, Liu M.
Department of Pediatric Surgery, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu Sichuan, P. R. China 610041.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate the mechanism of overhealing alleviation by salvia miltiorrhiza (SM) in wound healing. METHODS: Fibroblasts were cultured in vitro, and SM was applied with different concentrations (40, 80, 160 and 320 micrograms/ml) and time(the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th days) to influence their autocrine. The levels of transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta 1) and epidermal growth factor (EGF) were determined by ELIAS and radioimmunoassay respectively. RESULTS: The SM could inhibit autocrine of TGF-beta 1 by fibroblasts (P < 0.05). However, it did not affect autocrine of EGF (P > 0.05). CONCLUSION: The above results indicate that SM reduces overhealing by inhibiting the autocrine of TGF-beta 1 selectively.

PMID: 12508435 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Its one of the "big four" essential oils that was used for hairloss for eons until the medical establishment came along and told us that "nothing works for baldness". The four were cedarwood, rosemary, sage, and thyme. There are versions of this sold thesedays in thickening shampoos with menthol usually substitutiong for cedarwood (probably because of the more pleasant smell). I have a feeling this stuff probably worked to help someone keep what they had. I know peppermint is an effective anti-androgen for a fact. Ive seen that on my own beard hair.

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
Did the "medical establishment" do test on these oils, or was it just academic response to something they didnt know anything about?

I have always wonder how much research is focused on hair loss. Is it a big industry or is it mostly PhD's like the dude from University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine that discovered the "follica effect" by an "accident"?

michael barry

Reaction score
Did the "medical establishment" do test on these oils, or was it just academic response to something they didnt know anything about?
No, when minoxidil came out in 1988, the news media described it as "finally, something that can help with baldness" and that "nothing else other than castratoin has ever helped with baldness". The medical establishment is not happy at all with natural compounds in nature that the big drug companies cannot patent and sell to you. Im certain that peppermint is a strong anti-androgen. Im pretty sure cedarwood oil is also. However blocking an androgen-receptor is considered a "pharmaceutical action" and hence one cannot adverstise these things when promoting a product based on them. Peppermint supposedly inhibits alpha reductase and somehow inhibits testsoterone without interfereing with the androgen receptor, but Im pretty confident that cedarwood inhibits the androgen receptor based on how strongly it inhibits sebum production (it was the best thing that Johnson and Johnson tested for sebum reduction at .6%). Ive been testing cedarwood on my chin for a couple of weeks and that side is definitely very dried out.

I have always wonder how much research is focused on hair loss. Is it a big industry or is it mostly PhD's like the dude from University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine that discovered the "follica effect" by an "accident
Cotsoraialis is probably lying when he acts like the wounding/hair growth combo was found by accident at Penn. It was in the medical literature from the 1950's with Rabbits healing. A dickhead from Australia named William Strahlin, who done no research whatsoever, came out with a paper stating "authoritatively" that no new follicle neogenesis could happen after wounds and these were follicles migrating in from the edge of the wounds as the skin heals (stretched skin) in the two different animal experiments that showed de noveau hair growth. Kligman noted some de noveau hair growth in acne patients who had dermabrasion back in the seventies and entered it into the medical literature, but nobody paid attention to it. So, Cotsarialis probably knew damn well that hair was going to sprout on those mice. It was an accidental discovery, but not by Penn. Over the years on these boards, there has been a weird story or two about people getting head injuries and having strangely good hairgrowth in ceratin areas. I remember reading of one bald man many years ago who got hit in the head by lightening and started growing hair where he was struck. Folks shrugged their shoulders......................but perhaps dermatology should have looked deeper. That being said.....................I dont know if the new hair Follica makes will have the genetics we want. I imagine it wont. BUT the hair they make in the wreath area between existing hairs should have the genetics we'd want, and can be moved to the front via transplantion. Im hoping for this at least. A "hair multiplication" in effect, even though its not as elegant as we might like .

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
We should do a follow-up with those people who were injured or struck by lightning and grew hair on their heads to see if it's still there or if miniaturization ensued shortly thereafter. That would settle it.

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
in the alternataive treatments section of the forum there is a post from a man in scotland who got badly sunburnt on his crown and it triggered his hair to grow back there....