Safe to quit Minoxidil very early? (few days to 1 week)

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Hi

All is in the title.

Sorry to ask maybe dumb questions but I've read that doing this could spoil 1 hair cycle.

I've took it during 6 days, 1 time daily, and I think I am going to wait 6 extra months to see what happens with propecia alone.

alexpie2

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing will happen to you for quiting minoxidil early. I see no point in doing so unless you are getting side effects from it or it is too much of a hassle.

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
No it's just that I am on 5 month of propecia and I want to see what it could do on its own (plus I already have face skin issues due to fiansteride so, minoxdil...)

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
HI,

I have did only one week of minoxidil, 1ml/day. And I stopped there is 1 or 2 weeks.
Now I shed a lot.

So what is the most probable cause of this shedding?
(1) shedding due to my week of minoxidil?
or
(2) a telogen effluvium due to a general anesthesia there is twenty days?

Thanks, is someone answers me because I am so lost with this **** and I don't want to "interrrupt the recovery process"...! (I am on propecia since 5 months and I stopped the minoxidil to see what finasteride could do on its own at 6/8/10 months...)

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Thanks.
By ""interrrupt the recovery process" I meant minoxdil recovery process because I've read somewhere that interrupt minoxidil during the initial shedding could be harmful for the hairs (lose cycles whatever).

... 25% of their hair back, on average.

But it won't make your hair worse. It will just be at the baseline point in around three months, without Minoxidil. On the other hand, five percent solutions only work on forty five percent of men.

That is one the reasons I stopped it because if you began Propecia, and 5 months later you begin minoxidil (my case), 3 months later you may have results but no way to know what of the 2 caused it. If the minoxidil don't help, I want to know that and do not go on with it for nothing. But I am obsessed of doing a mistake that I wil regret...

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Hope that helps. You have been on it for five months. Don't know if it is scripted in France.
(as it would be 'purer', in that case than non scripted Minoxidil).

I am on propecia since 5 months but I had been on minoxidil only 1 week!

But I think I am ****ed.

Someone on this post - before the update - said to me that it was totaly safe to quit minoxidil at 1 week. It's not!

It is obvious that this shedding is minoxidil related because it takes place in the areas where I applied minoxidil (and it is only weak hairs).
Only 1 week!
Now I know that I would prefer to wait!
But now I feel that I am forced to start again tonight.
I'm panicking!

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
I have already quitted it, actualy, at 1 week of treatment.
I have totaly stopped it since approx. 13 days.

And that's why I am panicking because, I am no longer on this treatment and hairs that fall out right now are not support by minoxdil so I am forced to start again because it is too scary.
Undergo a shedding when you are under treatment, it is not pleasant but normal, but I did the mistake to trigger it and stop the medication.
I thought that only 1 week 1ml/day was not engough to switched the proccess on! But it is.

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Thanks.
At least, this early shedding has simplify my choice.
It was already stressful to wait with propecia only, but there, with sometimes more than 10 hairs each times I put my hand in my crown, I can't stand with it.
So come on, minoxidil Godfather!

I hope we could quit it for real in the futur.
Good luck for you

(in France we don't need a script too and it is kind of cheap, around 22 euros for 3 months)

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Ultimately I have side effects from minoxidil.
Breast pain 5/10 minutes after application and persistent pain since 2 days at the tendon above the heel of my right foot.

So I would like to stop it but I read that quit so early during the intial shedding could waste 1 hair cycle. Or that the hair could not grow back.

I am so ****ing lost.
If there had not been that shedding, it would have been easy, because my hair loss is not really visible yet, and I do not want it does with that crap, and this mistake (begin/stop/begin again)!

I took it during only 1 week (from around 17 to 22 May, 1ml-1 time/day) and then, stopped it, + again since 3 days !!

- - - Updated - - -

My foot becomes very painful!

- - - Updated - - -

It's not pleasant for anybody, for that matter. It's scary because the process just started, and it is out of our control,
to a large extent

It is acceptable when you are still medication but if you're not... I feel trapped and spend all my days to wonder what I'll do when the night comes...

rcom440

Reaction score
It's safe to quit, it's too early for you to go through any major shed after quoting it.

There are other option I would consider if I were you.
Decrease dosage of minoxidil to less that .5ml once a day (at least one hour before you go to bed) and see if the sides will stop. Sometimes our bodies need to adjust to it. I had some m major side effects caused by minoxidil but I was able to adjust my intake and eventually sides went away.
So, stop applying minoxidil for a couple of days and then apply les than .5ml a day and see if you can handle that. If you do eventually you can slowly increase the dosage.
Also, make sure you don't have any scratches on your head and never apply minoxidil on wet scalp.
Good luck.

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Thanks man

- - - Updated - - -

I took it again tonight.It's been a week since I say myself "I'll quit tomorrow and wait 4 months to see results of propecia alone"!But, each times I'm attracted to the bottle.But 10 minutes after it, I said "since I took a shower yesterday after the application to get rid of the minoxidil, I must do the same today to preserve my chances to stop tomorrow..."So I run to take a shower to get rid of it...In any cases, alopecia can change us into pretty funny desperate things.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder something.
Since I have this shedding, those hairs were already dead, so does it means that my 5 months of propecia does not stop the loss like I thought it did and afterall, maybe, that I already have the answer I seek for.
And stopping the minoxidil to go to 8 months of propecia alone may be useless regarding this.
Maybe I dream, though, and it means nothing...

- - - Updated - - -

Actualy, the answer I seek for is not if the hairs will still fall in 3 months but if it will regrowth without minoxidil but only with finasteride. So, the fact of this shedding does not help, I think.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil has to hit the scalp to have any use at all. Not only that, but using it once a day is around the
equivalent of using two percent. Five percent has a 45% success rate with men. With women, it's 60%. Two
percent only has a 30% success rate with males. Women, only a 45% success rate. Despite what people may
say, I really don't think once a day is enough.

As you know, I'm one of those people, so I suppose I should respond. I use minoxidil once a day with great success. The key is to use twice the normal amount. Obviously, then it is not equivalent to using 2%. I was told by my doctor to use it once a day at double the amount, because it would be almost as effective as using it twice a day at half the amount. That's what I do, and it's successful.

As for quitting, if I were taking a non-addictive drug and having bad side effects like pain, I'd want to quit the drug at once, rather than taper off it.

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Well, if it works for you, that's really all that matters. Would someone
with my avatar lie?

I think some people on the internet would say yes... Haha, not me, not a believer but churchs are so relaxing to me...

BTW I have no longer have "sides" if it was really sides...
But I regret to not have wait 1 or 3 more months to begin minoxidil, it could have been such a release if I if I had really not a doubt about effectiveness of propecia at least at 6 or 8 months... because I just reach 5 months.

I am always tempted to stop minoxidil but the shedding phase has begun so it is scarry to stop. I used it maybe 2 or 3 weeks. But stop to begin it again probably in 2 to 3 months, I don't know if it would very wise. The only thing is to kill this hesitation and I don't see other way...

razelscnhaps

Reaction score
Hello world,

Still on shedding phase and hesitates on continuation (because of the shedding, if it is not there, I would stop, to resume in few months if needed and it would be a liberation to have no doubt on it).

- So, putting my fingers on my scalp, I feel small hair / spikes that grow.
And so, I'm in the position I wanted to avoid:

In your opinion, is it possible that it is the minoxidil that is responsible of that grow in such a short time or is it more likely that it is the 5 months of finasteride which begin to pay + "natural" resolution of the telogen effluvium thats occurs few months ago...?

(I took only 1 ml 1 / day from 17 to 22 May then stop- and angain since early June to now, considering that most of the time I was doing comedy by finishing in the shower 10 / 15 min. after apply to get rid of the product)

Excuse (maybe) my english, I have already drink beers because of the euro match (it is my regimen so...).

Maynaf

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi i'd like to ask you how's your hair doing? Have you stopped minoxidil or what happened? I'm having the same issue and going through the same thing of regrowth after only two weeks of minoxidil and not sure if it is due to minoxidil, and if it's not then i'm tempted to stop the drug. Anyway, i've been looking through the internet for someone with my same situation and finally I found you, but unfortunately without an update so I could know what happened. So would you please answer me i'm lost ... thank you and I hope that ur hair is doing better.

Still on shedding phase and hesitates on continuation (because of the shedding, if it is not there, I would stop, to resume in few months if needed and it would be a liberation to have no doubt on it).

- So, putting my fingers on my scalp, I feel small hair / spikes that grow.
And so, I'm in the position I wanted to avoid:

In your opinion, is it possible that it is the minoxidil that is responsible of that grow in such a short time or is it more likely that it is the 5 months of finasteride which begin to pay + "natural" resolution of the telogen effluvium thats occurs few months ago...?

(I took only 1 ml 1 / day from 17 to 22 May then stop- and angain since early June to now, considering that most of the time I was doing comedy by finishing in the shower 10 / 15 min. after apply to get rid of the product)

Excuse (maybe) my english, I have already drink beers because of the euro match (it is my regimen so...).[/QUOTE]