Running

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing some running with my cousin after work. He is an experienced runner and goes for 6 miles runs every day. I am worried that at first I will find it difficult to keep up with him so do you think its best to start off doing 3 mile runs just so that I can big up my fitness before going for the 6 miles runs.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know.

Cassin

Reaction score
I can't run since my feet are too damn flat. I burn as much energy running one mile as most people do in four.

So I use my bike, much more fun in my opinion anyway.

buzzmenot

Established Member
Reaction score
If you haven't ran for ages, you probably have a small heart so don't push it too hard, start with 1.5 miles, get the timing down to around 10-11 minutes or so. Then start increasing the distance from there linearly with time. If lets say your starting time is 20 mins, target a 1 minute reduction every week. That's probably as fast as your heart muscles will grow. Also, I'm a short distance high speed runner, burns as much calories as long distance but the timing ratios are different so get the 6mile timings from your cousin.

You can tell if your heart can't keep up if u get pins n needles in your arms and feel light headed, if u reach that state, stop running. Walk the rest of the distance to cool down.

There's another factor of type 1 (slow twitch) muscles being under developed in your legs, give that time to grow too. You'll get 'burning' heavy legs due to lactic acid buildup..... and don't forget full stretching exercises before and after to avoid injury. Over hydrating over the 4 hours before the run is a plus.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
increase the intensity slowly as you can easily get shin splints.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
Start out small and then shave time off by 1 min.

I was a X-Country Runner in high school and was about 7 min a mile. But college and I put on quite some weight from eating and depression. I used to be 12 minutes a mile, but now I'm 9.5 minutes a mile. I want to get to at least 3 miles a day before the end of the year.

Start out small and push yourself each time.

CCS

Reaction score
start out alternating between running 2 minutes and powerwalking. If you can run a mile in 8 minutes, you can start there too. But if you get down to a slow level, walk. It is counter productive to keep running when you are too tired to run at a decent pace.

I think 6 miles is far. Unless most of your muscles are slow twicht (you can't sprint fast), 6 miles is not healthy. Time you first and second 3 miles. If they are more than 5-10 minutes difference, you should break them up and run two sets of 3 miles.

s.a.f

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
. It is counter productive to keep running when you are too tired to run at a decent pace.

I think 6 miles is far. Unless most of your muscles are slow twicht (you can't sprint fast), 6 miles is not healthy.

Thats because you are obsessed with building muscle mass. Distance running is very good for you buts its also a good workout for the heart and lungs rather than for just muscles.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree long distance runs are good for everyone. any cardio exercise over a longer period of time is extremely beneficial in ways weight lifting isn't, and is the most important training element in running, except for in like the 100m or 200m. you have to build a base, change the efficiency of your body, before you fine tune it to run a shorter distance (5k or shorter).