Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract (rosemary) In Shampoo

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've had some results with primarily mechanical stimulation in regrowing my hairline, I recently posted this to Reddit and someone asked what shampoo I use Organic Care Andti Dandruff Shampoo primarily for the zinc pyrithione and the fact it's super cheap. What I noticed when reading the ingredients on the back is that it contains Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) leaf extract. I know Rosemary Oil has similar regrowth properties to minoxidil 2% so I was wondering if this had any effect. Upon looking further into it, I found this article.
"Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract.
These results suggest that they inhibit the binding of dihydrotestosterone to androgen receptors."

Now I know this is a mouse study but this seems somewhat promising, I'm currently wondering if this has had any effect on my hair regrowth. I've been using the shampoo since March and it was my first treatment added to my regime. The active ingredients purpose is literally stated as hair regrowth.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I spoke to a dermatologist about this,
He prescribed rosemary to different patients but they just experienced better hair smell and maybe a better hair quality, but no actual regrowth. On the other hand, he had wonderful before- after finasteride pictures.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I spoke to a dermatologist about this,
He prescribed rosemary to different patients but they just experienced better hair smell and maybe a better hair quality, but no actual regrowth. On the other hand, he had wonderful before- after finasteride pictures.
Theoretically finasteride typcially doesn't regrow hair alone but helps stop the balding process. Do you know if the finasteride or rosemary was used in conjunction with anything else? It could be possible it has a very minor impact considering the oil has results but even that only amounts to 2% min which is far less effective than 5%. Thank you for your answer.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think shampoo is going to penetrate the scalp. rosemary extract might because the alcohol. Rosmaric acid(a component of rosemary) increases pge2, but of course I'm skeptical.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think shampoo is going to penetrate the scalp. rosemary extract might because the alcohol. Rosmaric acid(a component of rosemary) increases pge2, but of course I'm skeptical.
I'm also derma rolling 1.5mm weekly so that would help with penetration although I've been trying not to rub as deeply on those days since I was assuming I wouldn't want the shampoo to be absorbed. I'm skeptical myself but thought it could potentially have some effect in regards to hair growth, definitely not something I can say for sure and there isn't enough studies I can find around it.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also derma rolling 1.5mm weekly so that would help with penetration although I've been trying not to rub as deeply on those days since I was assuming I wouldn't want the shampoo to be absorbed. I'm skeptical myself but thought it could potentially have some effect in regards to hair growth, definitely not something I can say for sure and there isn't enough studies I can find around it.
I think dermarolling will help you hair more than rosemary.
As for finasteride, unfortunately it was never effective for me (otherwise I would not be here). However, I have seen pictures of “real” people whose hair changed from night to day. Not only stopping hair loss: actually Telogen Effluvium-thickening.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely, there are actual proven studies that show derma rolling with a 1.5mm promotes hair growth. I've just had good results within my time frame so far so I was trying to look at what factors were potentially beneficial to me.

Rosscoffee

My Regimen
Reaction score
I topically apply a mixture if 1/5 rosemary oil 4/5 pumkin seed oil to my scalp, seems to be working very well. Used to apply minoxidil 2x per day but caused major scalp dryness so now i do once a day minoxidil and once the oil solution, and it has significantly stopped my shedding.