Rosemary Oil, As Effective As Minoxidil

Hardekz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I found this interesting article. It says that rosemary oil is as effective as Minoxidil 2%. And could be very effective associated to massaging or microneedling.

Rosemary essential oil benefits :
  1. Reduce inflammation
  2. Act as an antibacterial agent
  3. Reduce androgen activity (read: decrease DHT)
  4. Prevent fibrosis
  5. Increase blood flow
Rogaine and rosemary oil are both vasodilators. Dermarolling and massaging are both forms of scalp mechanical stimulation.
The bottom line: research shows that mechanical stimulation increases the efficacy of vasodilators like Rogaine or rosemary oil. Combining both mechanical stimulation and a vasodilator might be better than just doing one (or the other). And that means that rosemary oil might be a critical adjunct to your hair recovery regimen… especially if you’re using it in conjunction with mechanical stimulation exercises.

https://perfecthairhealth.com/does-rosemary-oil-help-fight-hair-loss/amp/

I am starting using rosemary (essential oil) mixed with avocado (vegetal oil). Once a day. Combined with 5min massaging a day and microneedling twice a month. Has anyone already tried ?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil's mode of action as a hair loss treatment is thought to be by means of something other than its vasodilatory properties. This is evidenced by the fact that other vasodilator drugs have been shown to have no effect on hair loss.

The evidence in favor of rosemary oil is fairly weak. Rob from PerfectHairHealth even made it clear in his article (the article you provided a link to in your post) that the results of that study on rosemary oil weren't actually all that great if you dig into the study a little further.

I don't personally have much faith in natural treatments. But if you are going to go down the natural route to treat hair loss, your best bet is probably to use Saw Palmetto. It does appear to have more evidence behind it than any other natural product that I know of.

Hardekz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your advices. I cant use minoxidil due to bad side effects, and was searching for something that can be used with microneedling (microneedling alone doesnt seem to work for me)...

I read that Saw Palmetto had also some bad effects (blood thickening, headaches..). But I can try it also.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read that Saw Palmetto had also some bad effects (blood thickening, headaches..). But I can try it also.

I would advise against SP as it has sides. It had an awful impact on my liver and apparently, some guys pretend to suffer PFS because of it. SP works, in a nutshell, like finasteride does but a lot weaker.

If anything, you could try the ordinary multi-peptide topical. Some users have positive feedback and some studies have shown it to be as effective as 5% minoxidil.

Dave721

Reaction score

I had side effects when I tried this 15 years ago. I don't ever get depressed for no reason, but this messed with my head. Just because its natural does not mean its safe.

INT

Reaction score
Rosemary oil has been tested by many because of this study but I don't think I have ever seen anyone with results. The study is dishonest by design by comparing it to 2% minoxidil which tells you already all you need to know about the quality of the study and its findings...

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think SP at sufficient dosages lowers DHT by about 30% but don't quote me on that lol If you are going down the dht inhibition route might as well just use finasteride. As for rosemary oil i don't see any harm in using it along with minoxidil but i don't think it's a viable alternative to minoxidil to use on it's own. If you can't tolerate minoxidil then there is currently nothing that is going to work near as well.

Last edited:

LeeVanCleef

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if it stops hairloss, but I use rosemary oil when I have those sore, inflamed points on my scalp and it almost immediately soothes my scalp and eases the soreness. For that reason I think it has benefits, but I doubt it's that effective on its own.

Reactions: Fey

Hairguru

My Regimen
Reaction score
There’s people on YouTube who use Derma roller and hair oils have had great results.

check this guy

Hardekz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the video. He does dermaroll 5 times a week.. I will try to apply my oils directly after microneedling (peppermint oil or rosemary oil) and see if anything is growing.

badgenome

Reaction score
Rosemary oil has been tested by many because of this study but I don't think I have ever seen anyone with results. The study is dishonest by design by comparing it to 2% minoxidil which tells you already all you need to know about the quality of the study and its findings...

Yeah, it tells you it's as good as 2% and not 5%, what's wrong with that?

ben123

Reaction score
Based on the same research, I am transitioning from minoxidil to a Rosemary oil-based formula that is similar to Zix:
- Rosemary oil
- Saw palmetto
- Zinc

A carrier oil is often recommended in combination, but I found castor oil, jojoba oil, and almond oil to be too greasy, and carrier oils also slow/inhibit absorption of the Rosemary oil. Maybe a tiny amount would be optimal but currently I dilute my formula with water alone.

I have been on minoxidil for 5 years and don't recall it ever succeeding as a growth stimulator for me. My balding has slowly progressed. The final straw was when I switched brands and got dandruff. Maybe minoxidil does not "agree" with my scalp and this natural solution will work better. It's worth a try!

Hardekz

My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of topical zinc are you using ?
I would be cautious with side effects of saw palmetto

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jojoba oil is the best natural carrier for hair products, it is a wax, not really a oil.

sotass

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am starting using rosemary (essential oil) mixed with avocado (vegetal oil). Once a day. Combined with 5min massaging a day and microneedling twice a month. Has anyone already tried ?
Did you follow this? Any results? Thanks.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your advices. I cant use minoxidil due to bad side effects, and was searching for something that can be used with microneedling (microneedling alone doesnt seem to work for me)...

You can always titrate any med. Again and again people state, "oh, I can't use med X" but have they titrated downward or looked into other ingestion methods? Usually not. One thing about the guys on Tressless which they deal with much more than folks on here, has to do with titrating the hell out of finasteride, upwards and downwards. With duta, very little is needed and titration is also advised.

jd_uk

Reaction score
I would advise against SP as it has sides. It had an awful impact on my liver and apparently, some guys pretend to suffer PFS because of it. SP works, in a nutshell, like finasteride does but a lot weaker.

If anything, you could try the ordinary multi-peptide topical. Some users have positive feedback and some studies have shown it to be as effective as 5% minoxidil.
How could you tell what effect it had on your liver?